Home

Basic Ideas: Various Minor Additions

Marker0077

Originally posted by Emon

And, for the love of god, no more emotes in FFA other than a few taunts... please!

Actually what I was suggesting is just make a command for each one of the existing emotes, especially considering they don't work in FFA at all (as far as I know, I don't usually play FFA).

Now that you bring it up though, I don't see what's wrong with more emotes, it adds fun factor & that's the #1 thing that any game is about - fun.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because people abuse them. You get idiots who use sit in the middle of the battlefield and try to chat with their friends. Emotes geared towards "RPGing" need to be strictly prohibited.

People do that in general, not adding more emotes &/or making the existing emotes more available is NOT going to stop or slow that down in ANY way, shape, or form.

If you get someone messing around, you tell them to stop chatting/doing emotes because the next time, you are going to attack them. If this is something that happens often - bind a key to say that, but DO NOT let some lamers ruin it for the rest of us.

I think you should look at the big picture, not just the bad corner of it. The only reason why I brought it up is because I want to be able to access the taunt emote from JK2 all the time, it's quick & is something I can use at a relatively close distance. The flipping the saber emote is pretty cool too.

Again, not all of us sit there & chat & do emotes all the time during a duel, you need to deal with those people individually, not restrict the entire community of some fun factor.

Originally posted by Samuel Dravis

There is a quick and easy way to get rid of annoying people using emotes too much (

they should be warned about it first): /kick <playername>

If they have a problem with it, there is a lot of other servers out there....

I think he was referring to being on other peoples servers.

It doesn't matter, if they are chatty or abusing emotes, warn them to play because the next time you will attack them. When they die from chatting or abusing emotes enough times, they'll eventually stop; Or they'll die but either way though - problem solved.

You don't get it, do you? First of all, most admins don't monitor their servers that often. If people abuse them, and get kicked, they'll just come back later. You can ban, but most people don't even know it exists or know how to use it.

Hell, it has nothing to do with that at all. You're acting as if all the RPG crap is on the player side, and admins are against it. That's so wrong. If we added emotes, there are going to be servers that ALLOW it and are DEDICATED to it. RPGing is one of the things that lead to the downfall of JO, in my opinion, because idiots just sat around, chatted, etc. And that pisses off the people that actually want to play the game, so then they leave.

Just look around on the JA discussion. Mostly everyone will go raging on about how RPG sucks. There's no way we're adding something that might help in "RPGing" on servers.

New taunts aren't the same, those are fine, and they don't mess up gameplay. Taunts are in UT, and no one has a problem with those. But anything like sitting is not getting in this mod. Ever.

Originally posted by Chairwalker

Im not sure if it has been mentioned before, but being able to select the custom player colors in an RGB fashion would be cool.

Agreed. I think Emon is working on that.

Stuff about emots.

I'm going to have to disagree. I don't have a problem with RPG emotes as long as they don't have some sort of abuse involved (like no damage or something).

If someone codes it and submits it, that's fine with me. If it's a big deal for you, we could add a RPG emotes disable cvar and ask people to have some sort of [RPG] tag in the server name.

...Are you aware of the volume of people that hate RPG playing? We'd get no support from the community if we put it in.

It's an FPS, we shouldn't be adding RPG aspects to the game. It's really going to mess everything up. People are going to abuse it anyway. If you can sit, people will start sitting and chatting, and then they'll get mad if someone kills them, and then those people will get mad at them for RPG playing, and then they'll stop playing the mod, and if every mod starts to have it because they're based off OJP, they'll stop playing JA entirely. That's exactly what happened in JO.

I agree with Emon here. I just don't think extra emotes are worth having if it even has a chance of starting off the crazy crap that went on in JO.

...I think we have to be a bit responsible -and have the for-sight to nip problems in the bud, rather than relying on both players and admins to act and play within acceptable bounds.

If we add RPG-like emotes, it will have a good chance of encouraging RPG-like gameplay. This is ineviatable as far as I'm concerned...

I'm not against a couple of extra taunts - but that's a different story. (I don't see how 'sitting' - for example - helps to enrich combat!!)

That was then, this is now. A lot of people hate RPG and admin mods now.

Besides, it's just not worth the risk. I'd be all for a true, full blown RPG mod, one that doesn't interfere with regular games (JK had one, it was pretty slick, with a new level), but mixing RPG bloat into an FPS is just asking for trouble somewhere along the line.

Originally posted by razorace

If someone codes it and submits it, that's fine with me. If it's a big deal for you, we could add a RPG emotes disable cvar and ask people to have some sort of [RPG] tag in the server name.

Just make a server CVar for it & the game will show the "RPG" rule as being set to 0 or 1. He can filter out those servers at that point, but I agree with you on this. There is no real problem there.

...Are you aware of the volume of people that hate RPG playing? We'd get no support from the community if we put it in.

Dude, no offense, but you need to get a grip. It's not going to destroy the game FFS. Raven added the meditate emote to JK3, I haven't heard 1 complaint from anyone about any of the new emotes, aside from you.

You want a good example? Look at JediPlus, no offense to Jason but his mod sucked bad but people loved it. It was the #1 server & client side mod FFS - how ridiculous is that?

People like emotes, it adds fun factor to the game. Yes, it is gh3y to sit there & do nothing but chat & do emotes but as long as you WARN people that they need to stop because next time you are going to attack them - it's fine.

Originally posted by RenegadeOfPhunk

I'm not against a couple of extra taunts - but that's a different story. (I don't see how 'sitting' - for example - helps to enrich combat!!)

Sometimes in FFA you just want to take a break. You sitting somewhere is an obvious sign that you are not playing at that moment; Or, if you go AFK for a bit, it does the same there as well.

However, I'm perfectly willing to go with the majority on this.

If you really want to go with the majority on this, take up a poll in the general forums. I guarantee people will want this stuff in there.

You don't have to be a coder to have an opinion or good ideas, granted people in general don't have good ideas but they are out there. I suggest you guys take polls in public places & get your feedback there.

A lot of people hate RPG and admin mods now.

Who? Who has ever said that? There have been a bunch of people who hated Jedi Academy mod because of all the abusive admin commands but I have never heard anyone complaining about excessive usage of emotes - never, & I've been here since day 1.

I will agree with you guys on the freeze emote, it does leave room for admin abuse, but if you guys code ONLY what you want & not what the community wants, I don't see anyone wanting to use this on their server.

While we appreciate feedback from the general public, we don't do our decisions based on public polls.

Let's face it, the general public aren't modders and 99% have no real clue of what's possible, reasonable, or what they really want. Heck, 75% of the modders don't either.

As such, you can't really catter to them since you can't learn what they really want by talking to them. If you just did what "the community" wants, you'd spend all your time doing crappy clan reskins, adding abusive admin functions, and constantly nerfing/twinking damage settings.

I've also found that modders are basically 100% intereste based. They don't do what you ask unless they're really interested in whatever they're doing. As such, giving out assignments just does not work.

Finally, OJP is primarily for developers. They come first since they are the ones that contribute and support OJP. Sure, public/server support is great and all, but it has little relivence to the success of the project.

As such, you can't really catter to them since you can't learn what they really want by talking to them.

That is sooo not true. Yes, most of the ideas are bad, however, the good ones are in there. Personally I think you just don't want to deal with the hassle of public polls (dealing with n00bs & whatnot) & I have to admit, it is a bit of a struggle, but is well worth it IMO.

Archived