Home

Basic Ideas: Various Minor Additions

Marker0077

Is there any type of gravity gun in the Star Wars universe? Hell, if Half-Life 2 has it why can't we? ;)

have it act like the rancor/wampa attacks. It sends out the player's r_hand tag (which is what grabs the enemy) and slams them around a little ala grip.

of course this isn't a minor addition

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before I get into the replies, 2 new ideas to add.

#1) Make a second bow emote of the existing one but it goes twice as fast. The current one takes too long but I don't want to remove the original.

#2) Make all emotes available all the time, meaning you can do any of the dual emotes from single etc; etc. Especially the original JK2 taunt because I don't know about the rest of you but that's what I use most of the time. It's a nice fast emote that you can use in the middle of a duel.

Originally posted by RenegadeOfPhunk

Ermm - last time I checked, CS started out as JUST a mod.

Exactly, *started out*. CS didn't get as big as it is today until it went retail, which would be the exact same concept as implementing it into the base game.

Day of Defeat went retail also but when was the last time you heard of a mod going retail? Aside from Sierra, no company puts mods out there retail so I wouldn't hold your breath on Lucasarts doing what Sierra does, especially considering that they would get more money from this to write their own code.

For the most part, they care more about the single player than they do the multiplayer. Don't get me wrong, they care about the multiplayer but not as much as single because single is where the majority of their money comes in with this game (& probably all or most others as well).

Personally, I think most JKII / JKA mods are too involved with just jazzing up existing gameplay, rather than trying to make a totally new type of game...

....in fact, anybody trying to do anything too 'different' is told by a good section of the current playerbase 'you can't change that!' - and then they go and download the next admin mod that let's them /amsit - calling it the greatest mod that ever existed!! lol

People get used to something & they like it that way. I still play Action Quake 2 to this very day.

It's not that you change something, you have to make it known so when people start playing your mod, they know WTF they are doing & when something happens they know why. If you leave them in the dark, they'll lose interest *real* fast but even if you did make a nice manual that tells everyone everything, you think most people RTFM?

People, for the most part, are just plain lazy. You have to create eye candy & invent new ways to keep them interested, otherwise they won't be.

As for the admin mods, all they are doing is pretty much staying with the base game (back to the "most people don't play mods" thing) & adding a few new features to it. With admin mods, no one has to download anything; Hell, lots of people don't even know they are playing a mod'ed server to begin with.

...I'd say that's the No.1 reason why you don't see mods like CS (or DoD, or NS). Just plain lack of desire amongst JK modders to make a game like that in the first place - an attitute that is perpetuated by the playerbase itself...

That's not it for the most part IMO. If that was the case, everyone would be playing Duelers for JK2. It's easily the best client & server side mod for JK2, if the main thing you are after is the dueling experience, which most people are.

You have to know how to pimp off your mod & keep people interested. One of the big reasons why OmniMod got so big is because Jason did an update pretty much every week, so it was always in the new files list. Now of course it's annoying to deal with all the new versions when it's time to play, however publicity-wise, it was a smart thing to do because when you came on to whatever website, it said "new version of OmniMod" right there, as it did with all new files.

Originally posted by WhiteShdw

You can tell that Siege mode was fashioned after RTCW's objective mode.

MoH (Medal of Honor) came out before RTCW did & it uses an OBJ gametype, but that's not important.

JA Siege mode just uses weapons from the SP game, which is crap.

The existing firearms are crap, yet again, back to the "Action Jedi Knight" mod.

And it should have more than one weapons per class.

Not really, it should have a primary & a secondary. Some classes should have a third firearm but that's about it.

Siege crashes for me most of the time when I am in the GUI menus, so I don't have that much experience with the gametype until I figure out what all the commands are for console.

For rifles you can have the battledroid rifle, Clonetrooper rifle, standard stormtrooper rifle et.. . CS has this, so does RTCW.

RTCW is a class based game, CS is based on choosing your weapons on startup - that's different.

I think I know what you are referring to, useful weapons. This goes back to "Action Jedi Knight" mod which I'm not sure if I posted in this thread but I know I've posted in this forum about a few times.

In a nutshell, each weapon has it's own unique & distinct advantages & disadvantages. There's some other cool stuff like being able to kick firearm weapons out of peoples hands, there's items, which like the weapons, have there own unique advantages & disadvantages, etc; etc.

Unfortunately, a mod of this caliber will take a team of coders & is not something I plan on pursuing until after CM is on the shelves. I'm too wrapped up in CM to be getting into that right now & TBH, I spend to much time on the forums as is.

This whole idea of using all the weapons that the Sp game has, is old fashioned I think. MP is much faster and more competitive and the weapons should reflect that.

There's nothing wrong with using the weapons from SP if they each had there own unique & distinct advantages & disadvantages but they don't so it's lame.

MoH (Medal of Honor) came out before RTCW did & it uses an OBJ gametype, but that's not important.

I'm sure it does, but I've never played it. And I don't think I know anyone who has. I think RTCW is more popular and therefore think they used it for inspiration.

Not really, it should have a primary & a secondary. Some classes should have a third firearm but that's about it.

I agree with that, but what I'm talking about is being able to select the weapon for a class. Being able to choose which pistol or which rifle you want to use. CS has this and the last time i played RTCW(which was a long time ago) every class could choose their secondary weapon as well. Medics and LT's could choose from 3 different SMG's and I think soldiers could even choose a flamethrower or minigun.

Exactly, *started out*. CS didn't get as big as it is today until it went retail, which would be the exact same concept as implementing it into the base game.

CS went 'retail' because it became big enough to justify it - off it's own steam. CS was one of the most played (in fact, I'm fairly certain it was the most played) online game BEFORE it went to retail...

CS was sucsessful because IT WAS AND IS A GOOD GAME! It always amazes me how many people forget that small point! lol

(whether it's personally to your taste is a different argument)

...forget the kiddy whiners (the JK2 / JKA community can't exactly look down on it in that department!), and forget the cheats (I'll admit that IS a problem that you could argue falls down to the creators of the mod, but the game itself can be viewed seperately)

...the fact is that Counter-Strike did not pimp itself to death to get where it did..

...if got there because it is a well designed, well executed game and (at the time) the gameplay was fairly unique.

That's not it for the most part IMO. If that was the case, everyone would be playing Duelers for JK2.

How can you compare HL -> CS and JKII -> Duelers?!!

HL and CS were essentially two wholly different games! Duelers is an 'enhancement' of JKII gameplay. I'm sure it's a very good, very worthwhile enhancment, but it's not a NEW GAME!

..this is exactly my point. Practically no JKII modders are interested in taking the basic building blocks of JKII and making a brand new game out of it -they are mostly far to busy making 'enhancement' mods for the already existing gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally knocking enhancement mods. They serve a useful purpose for the existing JKII playerbase, and you can get good ones as well as bad ones...

...I'm simply answering the question of 'Why are there no CS-level type mods for JKII'. Enhancement mods will never be packaged up as a new game - because they are not really new games. THey are enhancements of the existing game.

In short, if you want to make a JKII mod at THAT kind of level, the first thing you have to do is actually aim to do it. i.e. NOT make yet another enhancement mod...

One of the big reasons why OmniMod got so big

...this also indicates that we are talking about totally different scales. The reason OmniMod was - what - big? Big in what sense? Yes- it was a relatively big 'enhancement' mod for existing JKII players. But it does not even compare to 'CS' big.

..if you think the answer to making a CS-like mod for JKII is to make bigger and better Omni-mod's - well - all I can say is

a. good luck to you ;)

b. You may as well try and get to the moon by making a really BIG ladder!

Originally posted by Marker0077

#2) Make all emotes available all the time, meaning you can do any of the dual emotes from single etc; etc. Especially the original JK2 taunt because I don't know about the rest of you but that's what I use most of the time. It's a nice fast emote that you can use in the middle of a duel.

Already done.

CS went 'retail' because it became big enough to justify it - off it's own steam. CS was one of the most played (in fact, I'm fairly certain it was the most played) online game BEFORE it went to retail...

CS didn't go real real big until it went retail. It was easily the best mod for HL & there were alot of players, but you didn't find the tens of thousands of CS servers you do today until it went retail. It had at least a thousand players, maybe even a couple of thousand players before it went retail but it is literally in the tens of thousands range today. That's due to retail distribution mainly; Not that all of those copies are retail, but the retail box on the shelves alone is a killer way to pimp the mod off.

You also have to realize that the Half-Life player base in the first year totally blows the JK player base out of the water to this very day. Back then there were at least a few thousand people playing online (HL & all its mods). There's almost 1,500 people playing JK (that's JK2 & JK3 put together) today.

Besides, not to take away from the mod or anything but it's not exactly saying much considering most people didn't play the valve (i.e. base) game that much. There were people playing it but people enjoyed Action Half-Life (which totally sucks now) when it first came out more than they did the valve game. Playing the base game, with most games, is like drinking hard liquer straight up; You could but it's awful. Most people add other ingredients to it to make it better, just like people do with mods. Personally I just see JK as a glorified Quake mod which is why no one really makes a TC out of it, but that's a different topic.

Realistically, there were no other good mods with Half-Life so naturally they all went to CS (again, I'm not taking away from the mod, it's good & I was a big CS player for quite some time). There were some that were okay, but not real good. Not until DoD came around (which I still hate the sniping aspect of, the coming out of scoped view while strafing crap).

The only reason why I don't play to this day is due to the cheaters. It's just not worth the effort.

CS was sucsessful because IT WAS AND IS A GOOD GAME! It always amazes me how many people forget that small point! lol

Well of course the mod is good, that goes without saying & is totally beside the point. The question of whether or not it was good wasn't even an issue.

...the fact is that Counter-Strike did not pimp itself to death to get where it did..

I wouldn't say it "pimped itself to death" but it certainly did a bit of advertising in quite a few places, especially when they came out with the first couple of versions.

...if got there because it is a well designed, well executed game and (at the time) the gameplay was fairly unique.

You believe what you want. You can't expect people to play what they don't know about - that's what pimpin it off is all about.

You also have to realize you are comparing this to a TC, which is one of the highest forms of eye candy.

How can you compare HL -> CS and JKII -> Duelers?!!

HL and CS were essentially two wholly different games! Duelers is an 'enhancement' of JKII gameplay. I'm sure it's a very good, very worthwhile enhancment, but it's not a NEW GAME!

You totally missed the point there. The point was you can put a good mod together, if you don't pimp it off & do everything else you can to keep people interested in the project, they're not going to stick around.

..this is exactly my point. Practically no JKII modders are interested in taking the basic building blocks of JKII and making a new game out of it -they are mostly far to busy making 'enhancement' mods for the already existing gameplay.

I'll agree with you there. Originally AJK (Action Jedi Knight) was going to use real guns & not these SW weapons but no coder could see past that. So I am ditching that for the main game & was planning on creating a conversion mod to make that happen; This way, people can see/hear it how they like. The only real problem with that is with laser fire, you won't bleed. You would with real gunfire (in which case there is a bandage button which leaves you unarmed for a few seconds to stop the bleeding).

...this also indicates that we are talking about totally different scales. The reason OmniMod was - what - big? Big in what sense? Yes- it was a relatively big 'enhancement' mod for existing JKII players. But it does not even compare to 'CS' big.

OmniMod was big in the sense that it was the #1 client & server-side mod for JK2 (i.e. most used). Duelers & OmniMod are both JediMod based but Duelers doesn't have half the bugs OmniMod does, it doesn't have the abusive admin commands, it has a non-interferance code (when in a private duel you can only see, hear, & touch the opponent just like the two of you were the only ones in the room but you can still read everyone elses text), it has a totally new duel mode code which allows multiple duels at the same time that pairs up the better players with the better players, worse with the worse, etc; etc. I mean Duelers just totally blows OmniMod out of the water; Yet OmniMod remained #1 for the time it was around (until Jason messed up & pissed off Asty & got it removed from JK2Files.com). That *should* tell you something.

Pimpin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it. ;-)

..if you think the answer to making a CS-like mod for JKII is to make bigger and better Omni-mod's - well - all I can say is

a. good luck to you

b. You may as well try and get to the moon by making a really BIG ladder!

Making a CS-like mod was never something I was even thinking about, not even originally with AJK; Well, maybe halfway there with AJK but everyone is too scared or whatever to go out of the Star Wars theme. So I have to adjust with that.

Ya, you totally missed what I was saying there. All I was saying was that OmniMod was #1 for JK2 in the time frame it was around; Of course then again, there really was no other game in town until Duelers came around. Since Lee doesn't know anything about PR or pimpin' it off, I don't see it doing any better in JK3 than it did in JK2 which is a damn shame. Lee lacks business ethics & has some other flaws but the man is a good coder & made a good mod - I can't take that from him. That's the main reason why I am going to bite my lip & help pimp it off for him. I'm not exactly happy about it TBH but it is the proffessional thing to do IMO, so that's what I am doing.

but you didn't find the tens of thousands of CS servers you do today until it went retail. It had at least a thousand players, maybe even a couple of thousand players before it went retail but it is literally in the tens of thousands range today.

Well, of course it got EVEN bigger once it went retail. I'm not questioning that. I'm just stating that it did very very well without being a retail game. And I noticed you haven't disupted the fact that CS - even when it was a 'non-retail' mod was just as popular - if not more popular - than many / any 'retail' base games at that time.

Bottom line - CS did not find it's sucsess WHEN it went retail. It found it's sucess before then, and then the fact it went retail just took it from there to where it is today - stupidly popular...!

I wouldn't say it "pimped itself to death" but it certainly did a bit of advertising in quite a few places, especially when they came out with the first couple of versions.

The point was you can put a good mod together, if you don't pimp it off & do everything else you can to keep people interested in the project, they're not going to stick around.

I would say CS's efforts in these 'pimping' areas were - average.

NS, as a counter-example - as far as I'm concerned - pimped itself far more than CS ever did. (Again, I mean BEFORE it went retail) When I first started playing CS, there wasn't even an official webiste! (That I was aware of).

I just downloaded it from some file server, and then I had to pick up the rules from drips and drabs from other players.

NS on the other hand had a very well put together official website, forums and proper progress updates before the first version was released...

Yes, you have to pimp your mod to a certain extent. Of course this is true. Your right, no one can play a mod they don't know about.

But this idea that the most popular mods got where they were mainly because of their PR is not very accurate to the truth I'm afraid. A good game does NOT have to pimp itself 'to death' to survive. It just needs average amount of 'pimp' ( ;) ), and then the quality of the game will speak for itself...

You totally missed the point there.

Nope, I haven't. The question is why are there no CS-level type JKII mods out there. Your answer is 'pimp more'. Sorry, but that's just in-correct. It's not even actually about the 'quality' of the mod either - although this is obviously a factor. ...it's also about what the mod aims to do in the first place. It's about the mods concept.

You could have pimped Duelers till your tounge fell out of your head - and it still would never, and COULD never, have reached the levels of something like CS or NS. THis is obvious. Duelers 'enhanced' JKII gameplay. It was not a new game.

CS and NS are NEW games built on the HL engine. This means that games like CS and NS appeal to people BEYOND the 'base-game' community. People who didn't give a toss about base play re-install the game just so they can play the mod (I know I did that for CS, and eventually NS).

Enhancement mods - on the other hand - don't do that. They only appeal to the CURRENT player-base, who want to play they game with some 'improvements', or in a slightly different way.

So - I haven't missed any points. My point is the ACTUAL reason why there are no JKII mods at the level of things like CS.

You point is 'pimping can help your mod'. This is true, of a CS-level mods or any other mod, but your point doesn't get to the heart of the issue. It's a side issue - at best.

Making a CS-like mod was never something I was even thinking about, not even originally with AJK;

OK - well - this is totally my point. You have to 'aim' to make that kind of mod in the first place. 'Pimping' it is also worthwhile, but the concept has to know where it wants to go in the first place...

THis is, personally, what I am trying to do with Movie Battles II (TBH, this is only a working title. THe name will almost certainly change nearer release time).

Now, will I succeed?! Heh, probably not! But I think JKA is owed at least an attempt by SOMEBODY. And since no-one else is voluentering, I'm stepping up to the plate ;)

..plus, I'm having a blast working on it anyway. So it's worth trying in any case...

I just want to state this before you start doing any replies. I didn't want this to lead to a side rant, all I was doing was trying to inform everyone of some helpful ideas, not debate the legitimacy of them. If you don't agree with anything then fine, you're more than entitled to your opinion & you can do what you like but I don't want to continue with this debate after this post because it's totally off-topic & it's now beginning to change the topic of the thread so I want to end it. It's somewhat rude to everyone else to continue pursuing it, therefore, this is my last reply on this topic.

Well, of course it got EVEN bigger once it went retail. I'm not questioning that. I'm just stating that it did very very well without being a retail game.

The mod is great, no doubt about that but when it comes to the amount of players using the mod it's an unfair comparison. #1 a real TC is one of the highest forms of eye candy, so that's 1 thing to keep people interested & #2 Half-Life has a much higher player base than most games.

And I noticed you haven't disupted the fact that CS - even when it was a 'non-retail' mod was just as popular - if not more popular - than many / any 'retail' base games at that time.

I only compared it to the JK player base, which is VERY low compared to most games.

Believe it or not, JK2 or JK3's player base (not both, 1 or the other) alone is not much higher than the Quake 2 player base. MoH is has somewhat died out & has around 8 times the player base of JK2, JK3, or Quake 2 today.

I would say CS's efforts in these 'pimping' areas were - average.

NS, as a counter-example - as far as I'm concerned - pimped itself far more than CS ever did.

Well I don't know about that. I do know you heard about CS on all HL sites, that's a hell of alot of pimping if you ask me. As for how much NS pimped itself off, I don't even know what NS is, what is it?

But this idea that the most popular mods got where they were mainly because of their PR is not very accurate to the truth I'm afraid. A good game does NOT have to pimp itself 'to death' to survive. It just needs average amount of 'pimp', and then the quality of the game will speak for itself...

First of all, I didn't say you need good PR for the mod to make it. All I said was Lee didn't have good PR but now that I think about it, it's not as bad as I accidently made it seem in that post. Everything else I said still stands though.

Secondly, I also never said "most mods got to where they are" or anything like that. I talked about OmniMod & Duelers a bit but not other JK mods & as for HL mods, I only talked about CS for the most part because for most of the time it was the only at least decent mod for HL.

Anyways, when I was talking about needing to pimp it off, I was referring to JK mods, not HL. It's not anywhere near the same thing for a few reasons (player base, most HL mods are real TC's, etc; etc.). You can't make a mod with even half the caliber of CS without a team of coders, design artists, & other developers & no one in the SW scene is interested in going out of the SW theme. Sad but true. So I have no intention in pursuing something I already know is not going to happen, at least not until everyone else is interested in doing so because it won't happen without the team.

In all reality with AJK, you don't need to make a TC out of it until after all the code is implimented. The visual part of the TC should not be too tough considering most of these weapons are already made for JK & the code implimentation is pretty minor stuff. I would imagine it would be the same for MB or any other mod for that matter but I don't know (no offense but nor am I asking).

Nope, I haven't. The question is why are there no CS-level type JKII mods out there. Your answer is 'pimp more'. Sorry, but that's just in-correct.

That statement right proves exactly what I said the first time. You totally missed the point. The whole "why there are no CS-level" was your interpretation of what I said, not what I actually said. Again, the "pimp more" is aimed towards JK modding, not so much HL because most HL mods are TCs & that right there is eye candy & a ho that pimps itself off wrapped up in one. Most TCs out of JK & MoH are that way (i.e. Quake, Half-Life, etc; etc.). Of course, more pimpin never hurts.

With JK mods, you do need to pimp it off. OmniMod was the posterchild of that concept in JK2. Actually now that I think about it, Duelers didn't do much pimpin at all out of forums so maybe it's not as crucial as I may be making it seem with the whole Duelers & OmniMod comparison thing but any way you look at it, the more pimping off you do the better you are off.

This is true, of a CS-level mods or any other mod, but your point doesn't get to the heart of the issue. It's a side issue - at best.

Actually the "heart of the issue" here is various minor additions for OJP, not why there is no CS level mods for JK. All I was doing, like you said, making some side issues.

OK - well - this is totally my point. You have to 'aim' to make that kind of mod in the first place.

I've already talked with most of the coders & quite a few other developers as well. No one wants to do a real TC - NO ONE. Well, Chosen One is game if he has the time but he wants there to be more staff, Lee has no interest whatsoever in doing this (even when we were on good terms), Razorace may consider doing this at a later time as long as it stays in the SW theme but his existing projects are a higher priority for him, etc; etc. They all want to stay in the SW theme pretty much, so if anything like that is ever going to happen, we have to roll with what everyone else wants for the time being. Then maybe after the main stuff is already implemented, we'll pursue a second generation TC or something, I dunno. Only time will tell.

THis is, personally, what I am trying to do with Movie Battles II (TBH, this is only a working title. THe name will almost certainly change nearer release time).

Now, will I succeed?! Heh, probably not! But I think JKA is owed at least an attempt by SOMEBODY. And since no-one else is voluentering, I'm stepping up to the plate

..plus, I'm having a blast working on it anyway. So it's worth trying in any case...

While I applaud your efforts, the reality of the matter is you can't make a real TC all by yourself & last I checked, MB was still in the SW theme as well so until it goes out of it, it's not a real TC in my book. You can make new gametypes or change existing ones (same concept really, 1 is more going back to default-able than the other) & whatnot but that's exactly what it will be, a new gametype, not a TC. Saying "I'm making a Star Wars movie mod out of a Star Wars game" is not a TC to me man. Saying "I'm making a Kill Bill mod out of a Star Wars game" is making a TC to me. New sounds, new weapons, new maps, etc; etc = THAT's a TC.

While the AotC TC is a real TC, it's still in the SW theme so I don't really consider it one. Technically it is but really it's not. It's like saying chess is a sport, technically yes it is a sport but really it's not. Football, basketball, hockey, etc; etc. = that's a real sport. Same concept.

Sorry, I haven't read the 3 pages of long posts, so if anything has been suggested before just ignore it.

Maybe you guys could bolt the saber onto the player's waist when they have it off? That would be pretty cool, although it would probably require a new animation.

I don't know if this would be considered too much of a gameplay change for the basic release, but maybe give having your saber off a reason, I was thinking increased force pool regeneration? Right now there is no real reason to turn it off, except for the 'honor' code.

Conceeded and agreed.

I have a lot more to say, but I'll agree to end it here.

My contact information is in my signature, I'd be more than willing to debate any of this with you but all I was trying to do was express my opinion, not start a debate. If this is something you'd like to discuss further again, my contact info is in my sig & I use ICQ & MSN the majority of the time I am online.
Originally posted by babywax

Maybe you guys could bolt the saber onto the player's waist when they have it off? That would be pretty cool, although it would probably require a new animation.

I think Razorace already had that in mind but what will actually happen we have yet to see.
Originally posted by babywax

I don't know if this would be considered too much of a gameplay change for the basic release, but maybe give having your saber off a reason, I was thinking increased force pool regeneration? Right now there is no real reason to turn it off, except for the 'honor' code.

When you have your saber hilted you can run a bit faster; Which is funny to me because I came up with this exact concept already about a year & 1/2 ago when I was modding MoH.

Anyways, Razorace also has a hand to hand combat thing happening with this also, so there's another reason why people would have their saber off.

Wouldn't you need like a model tag for the place where you want the saber to be? Or is it possible with the existing setup?

Also, could this be possible with dual sabers style? The way the saberhilt now stays in the left hand looks a bit weird when using only one of the 2 sabers.

not really, we could create a default point for the tag & have it use that. Basically compare all the Ravensoft models & figure what's the best way of going about doing that, or perhaps there's even an existing tag in all models we could roll with.

Worst case scenario, it could show no hilt upon models with no tag which would look a little worse but there is no real disadvantage so I don't see why not.

These are the tags you'd be interested in.

bolt_hip_l (left)

bolt_hip_r (right)

bolt_hip_bl (back left)

bolt_hip_br

bolt_hip_fl (front Left)

bolt_hip_fr

Six sides of the model at the hip.

If they aren't found and I hope it wouldn't come to that, default back to the original.

Is there a way to offset the model from the bolt?

If the distance isn't much, will the lag be noticeable?

Plus this should give the advantage of making the coding of pull being useable on them easier correct?

Once you get them to that point it gives them all the properties of a thrown saber. They can be knocked off the belt with a well placed hit. As long as you specify they are "off" you can keep them differentiated correct? Set up a que too.

If in rhand, bolt to hip_r or lhand, then to br, bl, l, fl, and finally fr.

I'm getting ahead of myself though.

Well, no it wouldn't look right because player models are very unpredictable in terms of movement and because the server fps is very low.

However, you could probably have a flag for the entity that would make it automatically update positioning client side but I think that would be too much effort.

Archived