Home

Basic Ideas: Admin Stuff

Marker0077

Originally posted by MarS_888

If the biggest part of the community consists of these kind of admins then perhaps the community was doomed to fail in the first place.

I disagree. I think the community was falling rapidly because the immature people in the community were ruining it for the rest of us. If we don't give them the ability to ruin it for the rest of us, things should go much better.
Originally posted by MarS_888

Let's just hope JA fares better, though at the moment I don't have much hope for it to be honest.

What makes you say that? I think JK3 is much better than JK2. I didn't think that at first but once you get used to things, it's awesome.

Originally posted by Marker0077

I disagree. I think the community was falling rapidly because the immature people in the community were ruining it for the rest of us. If we don't give them the ability to ruin it for the rest of us, things should go much

Perhaps, but bad admins can be bad admins without the mod. Though I must admit that with the mod they can be a lot worse. In my opinion an admin should be a mature person. Or at least someone capable of running a server for the people, not just for himself. I think the biggest problem here is that there were just too little servers and admins to begin with. In a community like CS you have a lot of bad servers, but it doesn't matter so much because the amount of servers is so big that you are bound to find a good one in your neighbourhood a lot easier.

Originally posted by Marker0077

better.What makes you say that? I think JK3 is much better than JK2. I didn't think that at first but once you get used to things, it's awesome.

It's better, but not to the extend that it should be. I really hoped Raven would spend a lot of time perfecting multi player, but most time seemed to have gone up to single player. All in all they have passed up on a lot of oppertunities to make this game great. Not just the SP experience but also for MP.

Perhaps, but bad admins can be bad admins without the mod. Though I must admit that with the mod they can be a lot worse.

Agree 100%. Giving the bad admins super powers will just increase the damage their abuse does...

And of course the game could be better, that's why this mod even exists (am I right?).

Tweak here, tweak there... if it was perfect there would be no point whatsoever in OJP would there?

While I'm 100% against giving admins super powers and cheats that only they can use, here is something I WOULD suggest if you make any kind of admin stuff:

Give the admin the ability to display (to himself, just like rcon) the SCORES in a Duel/PowerDuel. As it is now the scores are only displayed briefly (for about 1 second) after a kill, but the status window always shows 0's. If you're in the game that's fine, but if you're in the console there's no way to see who's ahead.

Additionally, in team games it doesn't show who's on what team or what the team scores are (except at the end of the game, again very briefly).

Something like this would be nice for the admin panel. Ditto for Siege.. show what team people are on and what team is "ahead" plus who won. As it is now all we see are individual points without even a "who won" message in the console.

Finally, this maybe isn't something that can be done really, but I've noticed (apparently a problem with all Q3 based games) that if a match ends and there is no human player to click "ready" the bots will stay sitting at the score table forever until somebody joins and clicks ready.

Some people don't realize that they have to click ready so they quit because they just see some bots sitting there at the score table doing nothing.

Something like say if the match ends and nobody clicks ready after 10 seconds it automatically cycles to the next map (or resets the map if they didn't check automapcycle). That'd be nice...

*sigh*

I'm in favor of the better ban system employed by JAR (which is LeeOates' code, IIRC), and a Mute option for server admins.

Because I realise that an admin is almost never around (and shouldn't need to be - who the hell wants to babysit a game server?), I'll be adding a Client Side Mute option to my mod.

If someone's beating me, or not, and just spouting garbage about the size of their *ahem* appendages, I'd like to be able to mute them on my end.

Also, perhaps a client side 'offensive word' list could be used to clean it up a bit.

I guess I'm just a democratic man, but leave the choice of tolerance to the people, and don't do too much censoring or meddling.

Originally posted by Wudan

I'm in favor of the better ban system employed by JAR (which is LeeOates' code, IIRC), and a Mute option for server admins.

Yet another feature I recieved no credit for. I didn't write the code however I did come up with the concept.

Anyways, this is an easy add Razor. All it does is store the IPs in a universal text file instead of a CVar.

Because I realise that an admin is almost never around (and shouldn't need to be - who the hell wants to babysit a game server?), I'll be adding a Client Side Mute option to my mod.

I would make it have 3 options...

#1) Off (like default)

#2) Text up at the top of the screen like in JK2, this way the text is viewable but more discretely.

#3) Muted but still viewable in console.

Just my opinion.

Also, perhaps a client side 'offensive word' list could be used to clean it up a bit.

A server side option for this I could see, not a client; But it's your mod.

• 1 year later...

Marker0077, Actually dynamic IP's can be ranged much more than 256.

*is a network pro*

We need a name based banning system!!!

WhiteShdw has the right idea!! We are not the abusers, the users are. If they perceive us as abusers, then THEY can leave. We are the ones putting effort into gaming situations they can enjoy. We need a way to help users in our servers stay safe from other users that aren't following rules or are disrupting.

RENAME IS GOOD - I have players everyday comming in with blank names, and vulgar racist names like "Nigger" or "B*TCH******". This is unnaceptable, and causes US the HARM, not them. We lose the publicity because nobody wants to come to a server with racist/overly vulgar players. Maybe those players with the names don't think its so bad, but they can leave if they don't like it.

SLAP IS GOOD - It's also good for getting players out of tight spots, or out of doorways, or just giving them physical notifications that they are NOT following conduct if they decide to ignore the motd's or other messages.

FREEZE IS GOOD - It's helpful to correct people who decide they want to ruin the server's day. I personally hate kicking people. If they don't like waiting their time out, then they can leave.

I know this post is old, but it's oooh so important.

Archived