Home

Where is my Dynamic glow?

Yourself!

Strange. After a week break from the JA, i decided to play MP some more, so I loaded it up... and was surprised to see Dynamic Glow not working. I went to options to see if its turned on. Another surprise awaited me as the Glow option DID NOT APPEAR AT ALL!

So, the next logical step was to go to SP and check if it works there... and it did.

Can someone please tell me whats going on? (And yeah, the glow worked in MP before)

Specs: Radeon 9700

AMD athlon 1.3 Gz

Er... WinXP pro.

(PS, ah yeah, i installed new Catalyst drivers for my Radeon vid card (Yeah, i HAD to, because of a bug i was having). I do not think this ma be in any way related to what is going on, since Single Player was not affected at all)

My video card supports dynamic glow, but always turns off when i start up SP.

AMD Athlon 1.3 Ghz

SyncMaster 151v Monitor

GeForce 4 MX 440 AGP 8X (With latest drivers)

CPU: 1332

DirectX 9.0b

512MB RAM

Yesterday i met this guy who is using a GeForce 2 and could get the glows. Also thi sguy at raven forums has the SAME card as mine and could get it.

So why can i get it????:mad:

There is no actual DG option in MP. Why ? I dunno - i think Raven forgot about it ! I have found that is generally ON by default in MP, regardless of whether you have switched it off in SP. but that above stated command is the one to get it on off.

In sp/mp DG will always bump down my fps to 30(from 60+), thats with P4 2.4, 512RAM, geForce 5600 64mb. As has been pointed out, it definitely seems a driver issue.

There are ppl with super gaming pcs who get crap fps with dg on, where others experience no significant difference at all..... I hope nvidia comes up with some game specific fixes, or Raven might do something with it in the upcoming patch. who knows, in the meantime, DG off !!!

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

Well it still doesn't work. (Both MP/SP)

Still turns off when i start up single player. :mad:

Must be somethin to do with your card Crow

maybe the upcoming patch may provide a solution..... most play with it off, so dont get too stressed over it..... ;)

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Gabrobot

Dynamic Glow seems to be somewhat hit or miss on peoples video cards...I have a Radeon 9800 Pro, with the newest Catalyst drivers, and all Dynamic Glow does is make flashes that cover the whole screen...no glow.

For the first month my graphics card (Radeon 9700 Pro) was fine, but as soon as I updated it dynamic glow starts doing exactly what you said. :(

If you are using a radeon card, i suggest you leave dynamic glow off because lots of Radeon users have video problems when the turn on dynamic glow.

If dynamic glow doesn't work for you. then maybe its your RAM.

128MB is required, 256MB is recommended.

I have 512MB RAM. GeForce 4 MX 440 AGP 8X and i can't get the glows.

EDIT:

Originally posted by DarkLord60

Well I have ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB and I can't get it to work I was wondering if anyone could provide a screenshot of the difference.

You'll have to ask someone like IG-64 or someone else with dynamic glow.

I can explain how it looks like but i don't think you'll understand. :p

there have been several posts now about "Dynamic Glow", it seems you(Crow) have featured in all of them. (In the patch) Raven should change this to "Dynamic Crow" :D

Yeah, I hope they do fix it in the patch, it is a pretty thing on some levels.....

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by TK_Nutritious

I have a GeForce 4 mx 420 and dynamic glow seems to work for me... kinda. It puts a whole bunch of flashing rainbow colors on any wall you walk near, kinda weird.

Well i'm using GeForce 4 MX 440 AGP 8X and why can't i get it?

I already have the latest drivers and directx 9.0b

Raven should change this to "Dynamic Crow"

Hey thx! I can use that as my custom title! :D

If you are using a radeon card, i suggest you leave dynamic glow off because lots of Radeon users have video problems when the turn on dynamic glow.

If dynamic glow doesn't work for you. then maybe its your RAM.

128MB is required, 256MB is recommended.

EDIT:

You'll have to ask someone like IG-64 or someone else with dynamic glow.

I can explain how it looks like but i don't think you'll understand. :p

I have 1GB of RDRAM I don't think Ill have a prob. Well now that patch is out it works its just frame rate is suffering but I could live with it.

Originally posted by FLaM-DraG

I don't see it in red :eek:

Not everytime.

Anyway, what exactly is so amazingly fascinating about dynamic glow that people would post on a message board to get a fix about it? Isn't it just a distracting blur around the lightsabers? That's all I noticed from it.

Because Its so kewl. :cool:

Originally posted by FLaM-DraG

I don't see it in red :eek:

Anyway, what exactly is so amazingly fascinating about dynamic glow that people would post on a message board to get a fix about it? Isn't it just a distracting blur around the lightsabers? That's all I noticed from it.

nope, flares give you the saber halo, dynamic glow is a beautiful thing, but most likely because of driver issues, causes a significant framerate drop, even in ppl with higher end systems.... it halves my fps from 60 to 30 or less...

The best level in JA for DG is vjun(vaders castle)

the best custom level for DG is 'schroom's deathstar. All those all lights just....GLOW.... it is kewl, as dynamic crow pointed out. But until a driver resolution may be found, im happier playing at 60fps+ w DG off

Take a look at these screencaps for a quick comparison of DG on and off, the difference visually is easy to see, as is the affect on my fps ! (just look at those stairs !!)

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/191103-DG%20comparison.JPG

MTFBWYA

Archived