Home

Where's the love for Mac users?

James Leger

Does anyone know if and when JK, Jedi Academy will be released for the Mac operating system? I would also like to download some of those really cool mods for my Jedi Outcast game, but I noticed all of them are zip files. What's a Mac user to do? Any response would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Originally posted by James Leger

Does anyone know if and when JK, Jedi Academy will be released for the Mac operating system? I would also like to download some of those really cool mods for my Jedi Outcast game, but I noticed all of them are zip files. What's a Mac user to do? Any response would be appreciated. Thanks :)

To my knowledge, there has been no official word on a port of Academy to the Mac. I'd say the chances are good it will happen; it just may take awhile. You may want to contact LucasArts (possibly even ASPYR) and express your interest.

As for using zip files, that's easy. You need Stuffit Expander from Aladdin Systems (http://www.aladdinsys.com). Though that should be installed on your Mac already. From my experience, most if not all the mods will work on a Mac just fine.

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

Let me be the first one of those annoying ppl who says :

Mac Sux !

What a needlessly ignorant comment.

Thanks everyone for the speedy responses...though I can't get over how rude some windows users can be. I'm anxious to try installing mods on JK2. I know I have Stuffit Expander on this baby. (Running Panther on new G4 Powerbook) JK2 runs perfectly both single and multiplayer on my Mac, so I see no reason why Jedi Academy couldn't easily be ported. I wish the old Mac/Win wars were over and things would open up for both platforms. They're both have incredible capabilities...

(may the lightsaber be invented in my lifetime!) though I'd never afford it.

Mac does suck for games, they are however very good for video editing/image editing etc etc...

The new macs might be better though, as their new processors will be built on a 64 bit processor like the new AMD Opterons. The question is, will game developers move over. Probably not, the majority of gamers still have PCs, moral is: don't buy a mac for gaming, it's sad but games just aren't made for macs right now :(

Well, it just so happens that Microsoft of all companies, has a Windows emulator, called Virtual PC, for Macs...I hear it works very well...

Anyway, I don't understand the whole conflict between Windows, Linux, and Mac...they're all on the same side! We should unite to fight the evil expansion of the game console! :D

If I had to choose between a MAC or getting shot in the leg I would have to get shot in the leg. Apple would have to pay me to own one of them ugly, outdated, overpriced, clumps of metal. I haven't liked them b@stereds sinse I was in grade school being made to play that dam organ trail game.

For what a MAC costs I can put together a fairly top of the line PC. I haven't bought a computer in 6 years, I put my own together I know what they are made of and what they can do. When it screws up I know how to fix it.

I always use Windows, but I was thinking about putting Linux on one of my old computers. Just to try it out. I'm just wondering how compatible is it?

If a company uses a MAC it's no answer that it is better. Just means they were the lowest bidder.

Did I say I don't like MACs?

Originally posted by babywax

moral is: don't buy a mac for gaming, it's sad but games just aren't made for macs right now :(

You're absolutely right, however it has little to do with the hardware or operating system. Apple uses the same top-of-the-line video cards from ATI & NVIDIA just as PCs do - have been for some time now. And OS X is essentially UNIX - it's every bit as sophisticated and robust as anything from Microsoft (much more so if you ask me). And yes the G5 64-bit processor kicks some serious ass.

The real issue is market share; there's a poopload more PCs in people's homes than Macs. It's the same reason you don't see a ton of retail games off-the-shelf for Linux.

From personal experience, I can assure you that JK2 runs just as well on my $1800 iMac as it does on my $2800 Alienware. About the only difference is the Mac JK2 version crashes a heck of a lot less often and when it does, it doesn't bring down the entire computer and force me to restart. Oh yeah, and EAX actually works with less headaches on my iMac than it does on my PC... even though the PC has an honest-to-goodness Sound Blaster Audigy card. Go figure?!

Originally posted by Cosmos Jack

If I had to choose between a MAC or getting shot in the leg I would have to get shot in the leg. Apple would have to pay me to own one of them ugly, outdated, overpriced, clumps of metal. I haven't liked them b@stereds sinse I was in grade school being made to play that dam organ trail game.

First off, "ugly" is subjective, but I'd like to know how many PCs have ever been put on display at MOMA or how many have won design awards? For that matter, perhaps you can explain why there are so many "skins" for replacing the default Windows XP interface with Aqua OS X look-a-likes? (I've yet to see a single XP skin for Macs.)

Outdated? Overpriced? Clearly it HAS been at least six years since you've bought a computer. Honestly, try taking an unbiased look at the current lineup - I think you'd be hard pressed to back up the claim that Macs are either outdated or overpriced. Heck, just look at the 17 inch Powerbook... there isn't even a PC equivalent on the market that I'm aware of.

If a company uses a MAC it's no answer that it is better. Just means they were the lowest bidder.

Well again, I can tell you from direct personal experience that as a designer I'd be looking for another line of work if I had to switch to PCs. Macs are simply superior for desktop publishing, web design, animation, film/video editing, etc. and so on. And I think you would find most people in the content-creation industry agree with me.

Like it or not, most of the books/magazines you read, websites you visit, television/movies you watch have been produced using Apple Macintosh computers. (And don't even get me started on music.) Take Hallmark for example (you know, the greeting card company), virtually EVERY product they produce is designed using Macintosh computers. And if you sincerely think it's because Apple was the lowest bidder, you're not only naive, but contradicting yourself ("overpriced").

Macs certainly are not the best choice for a gaming platform. Then again, some of us actually use our computers for something besides playing games. Your priorities may be different than mine, but I've yet to receive a paycheck from playing Quake. ;)

MICROSOFT is regarded by the COMMON PEOPLE as GOOD, by the WISE as GARBAGE, and by BILL GATES as LUCRATIVE.”

first let me say i will probably never by a mac because i use my computer game to mostly play computer games. also that i get annoyed by people who bash other systems, like ps2 users that won't recognize that xbox is a good system. so here is my point

mac isn't bad. if it was bad why wouldn't mac os be in the news about how they needed a patch for security reasons which will be exploited and piss off alot of mac users like what happen to windows users with that stupid hacker a couple months ago.

Back to the original thread content,,,minus the mac/win bickering, thanks for the input. I got the mods to work for the JK2 game. Easy as hell. Now I'm addicted to Armagetron, the Tron cycling game. Until Jedi Academy comes out, this is "the @#$!". I recommend it to any nostalgia freak who grew up in the 80's. I think I must be drawn to glowing laser neon light effects or something...

end.

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

What a needlessly ignorant comment.

I agree with you ! Its just I had some *REALLY* bad experiences with apple support, which has tainted my view of the whole apple experience.....

apologies, gentles

someone mentioned above that macs are ugly, I'm gonna have to agree with that !! During uni I had to work with one of those macs that were half see-through, man, what an eyesore.....

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Gabrobot

Well, I've got to put in a quick little thing...ILM, actually was using Windows PCs until around when they were making Episode II when they switched to Linux...there are, however, many other company's that do use Macs.

Actually, it's my understanding they were primarily using Silicon Graphics (SGI) workstations prior to adopting more Linux machines (see above photo of Rob Coleman - that's an SGI box on top of his desk). To my knowledge they've always used Macs, in particular for matte painting and textures (Photoshop) - something a bit less glamorous than their digital puppet Yoda, which gets most of the press.

My source for this information? Meeting them first hand at several NAB & SIGGRAPH conventions over the years.

Anyhow James is right; there's no need here for a flame war. Both Macs & PCs have value. I just wanted to post an educated opinion that by no means "Mac sux." :)

P.S. Love them pics in your sig SlapNut!

Originally posted by James Leger

Thanks everyone for the speedy responses...though I can't get over how rude some windows users can be.

Thanks for saying "Windows users", not "PC users". Some "Macboys" have some strange impression that PCs only run Windows, and PC users only run Windows... :rolleyes:

Aspyr might do a Mac port, eventually, but as said, for now you'll have to stick with emulation. I'm not sure if you can run WineX on OS X, but it's worth a try. Otherwise you'd have to use Linux.

Oh, and I wouldn't go believing that Macs are always better for video editing, especially if you read it on apple.com... It used to be true, but isn't always anymore.

APPLE COMPUTERS are regarded by the COMMON PEOPLE as USELESS, by the RETAILERS as PROFITLESS, and by BILL GATES as NO COMPETITION.” If you don't like Linux/Microsoft or PCs? That is your opinion and you can post it like I did mine. If you don't like my opinion you can suck it up and deal with it, because I really don't care what you think.

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

Outdated? Overpriced? Clearly it HAS been at least six years since you've bought a computer. Honestly, try taking an unbiased look at the current lineup - I think you'd be hard pressed to back up the claim that Macs are either outdated or overpriced. Heck, just look at the 17 inch Powerbook... there isn't even a PC equivalent on the market that I'm aware of.

I go to Computer stores all the time and look at all the comps they have and the price/specs.

I don't buy computers, because I build them. I buy the parts I want and put them together myself. I saved allot of money doing that. When it comes to MACs you don't have that much choice. It's more like the console system of computers. If you go to a computer store and look at all the PC programs and parts and the Apple ones. It's like comparing S. Korea and N. Korea's economy.

As far as everything goes I have no desire to be stuck in a computer part and software pit with a limited rang of software and parts that I can use.

Here are some random specs. I got of a MAC and a Gateway store.

PowerBook G4

17-inch

1.33GHz PowerPC G4

512MB DDR333 SDRAM

80GB Ultra ATA/100

ATI Mobility Radeon

9600 (64MB DDR)

$2,999.00

Gateway M675XL

17-inch

3.2GHz P4 HT

512MB DDR SDRAM