Home

Where's the love for Mac users?

James Leger

Originally posted by Cosmos Jack

...suck it up and deal with it, because I really don't care what you think.

The fact that you took the time to respond to my post leads me to believe otherwise. ;)

I haven't liked them b@stereds sinse I was in grade school being made to play that dam organ trail game.

I've liked them "b@stereds" plenty "sinse" I started making an income from using applications such as After Effects, InDesign, Photoshop and Shake. Yes, some of these programs are available for the Windows environment, however I've found them more stable, intuitive and functional on the Macintosh platform. That's simply a personal preference, however as I've alluded to previously, many in the design, entertainment and production community apparently agree with me.

I don't buy computers, because I build them. I buy the parts I want and put them together myself. I saved allot of money doing that. When it comes to MACs you don't have that much choice. It's more like the console system of computers.

You build computers. I USE them (and for something besides merely playing games).

Yes and like a console system, I've yet to purchase a product for my Macintosh only to return home and discover that it wasn't "compatible." The most challenging aspect of any installation I've ever performed on a Mac was getting the shrink wrap off the packaging. Unlike my PC, I've never had to monkey with DIP switches, run down IRQ errors, or tinker with obscure autoexec.bat or config.sys files. I've never had to back out of the elegant and user-friendly GUI and pull up a clunky DOS command line interface or BIOS equivalent.

I also might mention that I've NEVER had a virus, trojan horse or worm - not EVER (not even one of those common & pathetic macro exploits). That's certainly one aspect of "compatibility" I don't begrudge PCs for having.

Furthermore, I've had more crashes, system lockups and freezes in the past two months with my new, "top-of-the-line" Alienware PC than I've had in over two YEARS with my Mac. Ironically, all I have installed and use on the PC are a handful of GAMES.

So yes, if my income depended on it, I'd go with the Apple Powerbook over the Gateway... in a heartbeat. As far as I'm concerned, that's $500 well spent.

"MICROSOFT is regarded by the COMMON PEOPLE as INNOVATORS, by the WISE as THIEVES, and by U.S. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE as a MONOPOLY & VIOLATOR OF ANTI-TRUST LAWS."

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

The fact that you took the time to respond to my post leads me to believe otherwise. ;)

Don't use the fact I like bitching to think I care.

I'm sorry you have had so many problems with you PC. May I suggest a Computer Class or something for you to be educated. I haven't had a Virus or a crash in about a year. I take the right percussions and don't do stupid things with my computers.

Frankly if you were dumb enough to buy a overpriced Alienware PC? Than you disserve what you get. For what one of them costs I can build 2 maybe 3 with about the same specs. Your buying a name not a PC.

MORE POWER TO THEM!!!!!

To be honest there is nothing you can say to make me like Apple except maybe that Microsoft bought them out.

Which of these motor vehicles is "better", a Ferrari or a pickup truck? Well, depends on what you want to do with it.

Which of these airplanes is "better", a F-16 or a 747. Well, depends on what you want to do with it.

Which of these computers is "better", a Wintel or a Mac? Well, you get the idea.

Which of these human beings is better, a man or a woman? The answer is obvious...the woman!

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

Would that be the tambourine or the bongos? :p

gosh, i think the guy meant precautions :p

but some Macs are ugly enough that it would be great to smack them up like a pair of bongos :p

boy, Kaia, I hope you get royalty checks from Apple, for so vehemently battling for them !

I have a PC. I love SW games, without a PC I would never have been able to play :

XWing

Tie Fighter

XW Vs Tie Fighter

Rebel Assault 1 and 2

Dark Forces

Galactic Battlegrounds

Jedi Knight : DF2 plus MotS

JK2 : JO

JA !!!

(also KOTOR...in anticipation...)

not to mention things like -

NeverWinter Nights, Baldurs Gate etc

Elite Force 1 and 2

I have had COUNTLESS HOURS of fun playing these above titles !

THIS IS WHY I HAVE A PC !! The other programs I mainly run are available on both platforms, so this was the KEY FACTOR for me, and Im sure MANY others.....

I hope this discussion dissolves into the ether, it is becoming the geekiest of flame fests.............. :D

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

boy, Kaia, I hope you get royalty checks from Apple, for so vehemently battling for them !

Nope, but the income I derive from using Apple products did allow me (comfortably) to purchase that "overpriced" Alienware, not to mention additional free time (since I'm more productive) to play on it. That said, if you know someone at Apple, feel free to hook me up! :)

BTW, you do appreciate the majority of games you mentioned are available for the Mac too? ;)

I hope this discussion dissolves into the ether, it is becoming the geekiest of flame fests.............. :D

Hehe, I'll say!

Oh the un-educated....

“APPLE COMPUTERS are regarded by the COMMON PEOPLE as USELESS, by the RETAILERS as PROFITLESS, and by BILL GATES as NO COMPETITION.” If you don't like Linux/Microsoft or PCs? That is your opinion and you can post it like I did mine. If you don't like my opinion you can suck it up and deal with it, because I really don't care what you think.

Useless -No

Profitless- I think not we as a Company retailer make 13.5% margin on Apple Macs and only 2-5% on other PC brands, therefore we make more money on Apples.

Competition - Microsoft, will always think that they have no competition.

Here are some random specs. I got of a MAC and a Gateway store.

PowerBook G4

17-inch

1.33GHz PowerPC G4

512MB DDR333 SDRAM

80GB Ultra ATA/100

ATI Mobility Radeon

9600 (64MB DDR)

$2,999.00

Gateway M675XL

17-inch

3.2GHz P4 HT

512MB DDR SDRAM

60GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive

ATI Mobility Radeon

9600 (128MB DDR)

$2,499.99

I would have the Mac, the Mac would out perform the Gateway any days of the week, plus its 2" thick and weighs a ton, Mac 17" 1" Thick

I have a PC. I love SW games, without a PC I would never have been able to play :

XWing

Tie Fighter

XW Vs Tie Fighter

Rebel Assault 1 and 2

Dark Forces

Galactic Battlegrounds

Jedi Knight : DF2 plus MotS

JK2 : JO

JA !!!

(also KOTOR...in anticipation...)

not to mention things like -

NeverWinter Nights, Baldurs Gate etc

Elite Force 1 and 2

Uhh Wrong, half of those you can get for Mac, and as I also run Virtual PC on My Macs, only because of GTKRad is still in testing for Macs. You need to look into things before you shout and scream in this thread.

Is there any need for this?

Do we not purport to be pseudo-mature individuals?

Why is it that each and every time someone asks about a Mac version there is at least one person who has to post a "Mac sux" reply.

We had these for Jedi Outcast, and for Jedi Academy - both pre-and post-release. Generelly the question gets answered somewhere early on, and the 'discussion' (ok, Mac bashing) continues.

If someone posted a thread in the Swamp labelled 'can you help me with plasma physics?' and you knew nothing about it, would you feel compelled to reply - perhaps 'dood, dump that, I took physx in high school and it suxed so you need a better class'

... well, perhaps there are some who would. But why? If you know nothing - or have no interest - why can't you just leave it alone.

I have been a heavy computer user since GUI meant not having to use punch cards. What have I found?

- Someone else has a faster computer than you.

- The new application you just bought has more stuff you'll never use while removing/altering something you used all the time in the name of 'usability'.

- The OS wars will continue as an immature and unintelligent bashing by otherwise rational and reasonable people.

I'm sitting in a hotel room at a desk typing on my Mac laptop, with my PC laptop (not my gaming one, this is my 'ultra-light' ... good for JK1 ;) ). I could go on and on about the pros and cons of each - but to what end? I have productivity needs on both, do internet stuff on both, entertainment (music & video) on both, and gaming on both. Some things I can only do on one or the other. That doesn't make it better, just more suitable for that application. Which I like better for any given application really doesn't matter, does it?

Can't we just accept that MS makes decent products, Apple makes decent products, PC vendors make decent products, Linux vendors make decent products, and so on? Can't we just stop bashing on other community members who just want the ability to play a game we love on the computer they have available to them - either by their own doing or perhaps what they need or their parent's bought?

Perhaps a mod/admin can lock this up before the bashing gets really nasty, or can just dump it in the swamp.

Either way - if you see another 'Will JA come out on the Mac' thread, and really don't know and don't care - don't click.

Mike

I haven't had a Virus or a crash in about a year.

Bah humbug. No offense if you are being honest and you have a windows running PC that is connected to the internet that you use on a daily basis, but...

I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!

The fact is there are viruses/trojans/etc out there that will attack your PC when you do nothing "stupid" to deserve it.

Sure I guess if you avoid using certain versions of windows and certain programs and visiting certain sites etc you might reduce your chances of falling victim to random attacks, but it still happens.

Even the most stable windows version I've used to date (win2kpro) was not immune to crashing every once in a great while (a few days rather than a few hours with win95).

I keep my virus scanner up to date and scan regularly. I scan for spyware also regularly. I have a hardware and a software firewall running. And yet I still get crap in my mail on an almost daily basis. Sure, 99.999999% of it gets grabbed in the inbox and dumped into quarantine so it doesn't hurt my computer, but still.

And prior to win2k you have "memory rot" that makes it so that your computer gets slower and slower and more bloated as the registry gets full of crap from installs/uninstalls. It gets so bad that after 6-9 months you pretty much need to reformat/reinstall to maintain your sanity.

If you are not on the internet or don't use your PC very often, I can see maybe not having a crash. But a whole year with no viruses or crashes? Impossible.

It's like saying you live in a big western city and have never seen litter on the ground or pollution of any kind.

Now that you mention it, it's true, we don't know if/when a Mac version of JA is coming out or have any information on it.

If/when that happens I suppose somebody will post about it and we'll know, so I guess you're right... this discussion is dead, we'll just agree to disagree about the Mac Vs. Windows Vs. whatever debate...

Archived