Home

MP gametypes

Samuel Dravis

Hey guys, I was just snooping around the \ui\jamp dir, and I noticed that the gameinfo.txt has a few interesting things in it.

[size=1]// 0 - GT_FFA,				// free for all
// 1 - GT_HOLOCRON,		// ffa with holocrons
// 2 - GT_JEDIMASTER,		// jedi master
// 3 - GT_DUEL,		// one on one tournament
// 4 - GT_POWERDUEL,
// 5 - GT_SINGLE_PLAYER,	// single player ffa
// 6 - GT_TEAM,				// team ffa
// 7 - GT_SIEGE,				// siege
// 8 - GT_CTF,				// capture the flag
// 9 - GT_CTY,				// capture the ysalimari[/size]

I wonder if these gametypes still work (I think this is how they discovered Saga).

You could add Jedi Master support to all existing maps, all you need to know is where to spawn the saber entity. So write a command that dumps player position to a file, or prints it in the console (so you can dump it yourself), then use that as the position to make the saber entity. Make like a ffa_whatever.jm or something and store it in there.

I don't see the point in these gametypes, Siege I can see (now that I can see people actually play it) but no one played Jedi Master or CTY when it was just JK2.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to rain on anyones parade, I would just hate to see you guys go all out of your way for a feature that maybe only 1 or 2 people (if any) would use. Raven doesn't even have those gametypes as an option in the main menu anymore because they are doing away with it, again because no one plays it.

I thought that holocron FFA was pretty fun when I tried it, but no one ever had a server for it, so I didn't play it in JO (except against bots).

In Jedi Master it was rather hard to rack up kills. CTY is just annoying, IMO.

But, if these gametypes are easy to mod into the game, why not? The more options, the better.

Well, I'd like to replace those gametype with ones that might actually get used, like the multi-duel gametype & the 2v2 gametype.

Raven may have also made some other changes to it that we do not know about. Some of the gametypes, such as CTF, has jumped numbers from JK2 to JK3 which makes no sense to me.

Originally posted by Samuel Dravis

I thought that holocron FFA was pretty fun when I tried it, but no one ever had a server for it, so I didn't play it in JO (except against bots).

In Jedi Master it was rather hard to rack up kills. CTY is just annoying, IMO.

But, if these gametypes are easy to mod into the game, why not? The more options, the better.

If you still have JO installed, my server still has all of those game types. During peak hours every day there are 10-20 (or more) people playing Holocron FFA, Jedimaster, and CTY. I even added a third Holocron map because it is some players' favorite game type. I tweaked CTY by taking out Speed and Dark Rage, increasing running speed 40% for all to compensate, and taking out all the big guns. Jedimaster is what it is, you either love it (I do) or hate it (the majority). At least you still have a chance to play those game types with real people. Server IP address 64.246.58.228.

Originally posted by Samuel Dravis

You know that once the source code is released we probably won't have to replace anything...

One question I have is: what is the benefit single player FFA? What makes it different from just a regular botmatch?

That's an old feature of Q3. The SP of Q3 was basically just MP FFA with some tweaked bots. We've never been able to determine if it makes a difference or not in JKA or JK2.

Yes, as "Single Player with bots" option in JAMP.exe menu

that's precisely what the enum refers to.

Other than that, there are the holocron/yssal and jedi master. I see no reason why the code for them was yanked out, seeing as JK2 had some JA code in it (prototype of Siege), as such, a simple mod would enable them.

I tried those, but sadly none of them worked except g_gametype 5 ("GT_SINGLE_PLAYER "single player ffa") which made a guy I was playing with and myself invincible while we were dueling... heh, that was pretty silly.

Perhaps "Solo Game" is setup so that human players cannot harm each other, but only harm bots (and vice versa) as well as accidentally hurt themselves? Interesting though I don't know why they made Solo Game in the first place...

I'm sure with the SDK and some map tweaking it could be done.

The fact is that Jedi Master only requires placement of a saber and Holocron just placing the holocrons around. Both modes just used the default FFA maps in JK2. CTY would just replace the two flags in a CTF map.

Perhaps as a start somebody could work to convert the JK2 Jedi Master/Holocron and CTY maps...?

JedivsMerc could also use some major tweaking. Don't try it on Siege.. it totally messes things up! (imagine Chewie with a saber but no force powers)

I wouldn't mind seeing those. Interesting thread over there btw...

since I am lazy, start the game in Solo and check the value of g_gametype

I believe that it's 5.

Otherwise, g_gametype 5 in JK2 just upped the bot damage and made them slightly more agressive (less delay between think()'s)

Archived