Home

Staff to Dual Sabers?

Marker0077

Originally posted by razorace

Simply put, multi-bladed weapons take more skill to use and give you more saber blade space to work with (and that translates to more oppertunities for blocking and attacking in the game)

multi-bladed weapons do not take more skill to use, it's just balanced differently - nothing more. I would still take a single over anything ANY day of the week.
Originally posted by razorace

I did mean that, but it would be balanced.

Why would you let someone break their 2-handed saber in half at will? That makes no sense. What's the guy gunna do? Take the saber & break it over his knee?

This whole thing was started by the Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul scene where Obi cuts the 2-handed saber in half & Maul is forced to use it as a single at that point. THAT'S what started this. Some people just get a kick out of doing what they see others do in movies.

I don't mean to be negative here, I just don't like that idea. If you want a single saber - choose a single saber, if you want 2 sabers - choose 2 sabers. Know what I mean?

Originally posted by Samuel Dravis

How long would the animation be? 1 1/2 to 2 secs?

instantanious probably, just have a white flash (similar to when sabers collide except alot more glitter) then the hilt is switched with the broken hilt.
Originally posted by Azymn

...if your staff got split there was a %30 chance it would become 2 blades. If it became one blade...

I think that the 2-handed saber should have it's own health bar. Once it loses 100 to 114 points, it becomes 2 sabers & if it goes over 114 points it goes to a single saber. The sabers are already well balanced (again, with default settings), I wouldn't want to mess that up.

I would like to take the Desann & Tavion stances & use those with reversed saber(s). That's how Adi Gallia fought with her saber, reversed. There are some problems with this but should be easy enough to work out. We'll see.

Originally posted by Azymn

One thing i had wished i'd done was given penalties to the staff -> twin sabers users, like slowing the animation speed or something. I agree that there shoudl be some penalty (either in skill cost, proficiency, or vulnerability) for users who switch between sabers that are not their default selection.

That doesn't apply to JK3. They are well balanced here.

Originally posted by Marker0077

multi-bladed weapons do not take more skill to use, it's just balanced differently - nothing more. I would still take a single over anything ANY day of the week.Why would you let someone break their 2-handed saber in half at will? That makes no sense. What's the guy gunna do? Take the saber & break it over his knee?

I meant from a martial arts standpoint. :)

Anyway, many staff sabers are suppose to be designed to be splitable into two sabers. Maul's had that feature and that's why it still worked after getting sliced in half.

I still think having the staff have it's own HPs is the best way to go (i.e. if someone goes 1 to 14 HPs over the staffs HPs, it breaks into dual sabers & if they go 15 HPs (or more) over the staffs HPs, it goes to single saber).

The reason I brought it up again is because I was just imagining what if someone went over the players HPs & the staffs HPs at the same time = the player & the staff hilt would get cut in half = that would just rock like a mountain. :-)

I'd like to recommend something else also. Without a weapon you go into kungfu mode.

Kicks, punches and grabs. Maybe modify it a little to make it more appealing to some.

Also give the option to disarm with grab, and maybe take away a weapon.

Y'know just incase your force pull fails to grab a saber off someone's belt. ;)

and to relieve someone of a firearm when you are without one.

I'd of course cause this to damage the item so as to not have two people in an ifinite struggle over one item.

Yeah, you'd go into melee mode when you've lost your weapons.

However, I still haven't decided what to do about the possibility of grappling and disarming. The thing is, in JKA is way easier to grapple/punch someone with a saber than it would be in real life. In real life, you'd probably just get cut in half when you move close.

Archived