Home

Tim Burton on Grim Fandango 2

Lagomorph01

Everybody's speculating about Grim Fandango 2 and if it's going to be any good because Tim Shafers not on it (at least I am:D)

Because Monkey Island 4 sucked and Full Throttle 2 was gonna suck too (at least I think so, because they cancelled it).

So, I was thinking, you all know that great moviedirector Tim Burton, his movies have all got a great dark atmosphere in it but some great humor in 'm too. I ghink they should hire him to do Grim Fandango 2. He could really get this project rolling. I mean this guy has made batman, sleepy hollow, the nightmare before christmas, beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands. All with a beautifull dark atmosphere. What do you guys think?

I'm actually against a Grim FAndango 2 too, it's just that, it was on the list of Lucasarts for a sequel, and why not speculate about a way to make it suck less...

But you are correct, There has been said enough about Grim Fandango, the story has ended and was great while it lasted. The only thing that would be pretty cool is that MMORPG thing on the other thread.

I think it was a link somewhere in the monkey island forum about Monkey 5, there was this list of games Lucasarts still wanted to do, and it said Monkey Island 5, Grim Fandango 2, Full Throttle 2, Sam and Max 2 etc.

Of course Sam and Max is on its way, FTII is cancelled and we haven't heard about the two others, but it was a "to do" list...

Jep, here it is...

http://www.scummbar.com/imageviewer/imageviewer2.php?dep=Monkey5Rumors&image=thumbA.gif&goback=&showtype=

Kinda long URL huh? ;)

Sorry, Metallus, won't happen again:)

Tim Burton and Grim Fandango? This could be the best Duo ever! (.... more trio with Tim Shafter :p !) Edward, Nightmare before Christmas, Vincent, Sleepy Hollow.... this could Rock!!

but if they do not want to make a GF2, then, just make a movie based on the original GF! As we know Tim Burton, the movie would be Frame-by-frame, and with the same technics used in Nightmare Before Xmas.

Althought this is one topic, there are many interesting ideas.

1)Tim Burton + Grim Fandango - nice idea. Why ? Because I have seen Sleepy Hollow and I can say two words - great movie. Wonderfull scenography, grim mood and perfect Johny Deep as main hero. Tim Burton is also director of Batman and Batman Returns (I wonder over one thing - why didn't he want to direct another Batman movies ?). So when I think about his movies, I realise that he might be able to create Grim Fandango 2,but first he must play in original game ;). And he must talk to Tim Schafer ;)

2)Grim Fandango movie. Hmm, I don't know what can I say. How do you imagine this production ? Animation ? Lots of visual effects ? Actors in dresses ?

3)I'm looking at list of sequel games and I wonder what does TBA mean ? Could somebody hel me and answer on this question ?

2)Grim Fandango movie. Hmm, I don't know what can I say. How do you imagine this production ? Animation ? Lots of visual effects ? Actors in dresses ?
Like in Nightmare Before Christmas. don't know how to call the technic used in this movie.

3)I'm looking at list of sequel games and I wonder what does TBA mean ? Could somebody hel me and answer on this question ?
Don't know the Exact meaning of TBA... but it means they don't know the release date.

Originally posted by amadeus

As I remember, Lemon Head and I had a discussion about a Grim Fandango movie involving Tim Burton. I think it would be an excellent idea. Make it a musical!

maybe not musical.... but certainly why one song. But not as much as in NBC.

• 4 weeks later...

No no no no no no, you guys got it all wrong. Before the movie, the GF community needs one thing; a Grim Fandango upgrade.

By "upgrade" I mean and upgrade in graphics, textures, physics, models, lighting, everything. It wouldn't take too mcuh work, Lucasarts has all the tools, and the upgrade would sell like HOTCAKES!

As far as movies go-- Tim Burton for the director doesn't sound good to me. Granted, he is wonderfully dark, moody, and funny. But he just can't do film noir and mexican folklore, in my opinion.

Coppola would be perfect for the director-- and I think the movie would be presented best if in computer animation. The type used in Nightmare Before Xmas was claymation, btw.

Lastly, I think making the movie of Grim Fandango a musical is bastardization.

My post isn't meant as a personal attack on anybody, it's just my opinion.

Adios,

-GB122

Me and my friend were just talking about that the other day, an animated movie would be great, like cpg style, kinda like "Ice Age" that was great, if they come up with grim in that sort of way or stop motion style I think Grim will be revived for an hour and a half aslong as they stick to the script of the original game. Blah, now i'm just pointlessly glotting about things that'll never happen, but I style wish I had the knowledge to do such work, it would be great to see Manny on the big screen.

Tim Burton did not direct The Nightmare Before Christmas. That honor goes to the director of MonkeyBone, Henry Selick. Burton is all atmosphere, but little development and story. If GF 2 comes out at all--to avoid a MI 4 disaster--the head needs to be able to handle character development. Tim Burton does not fit the bill.

Originally posted by Blue Tentacle

Tim Burton did not direct The Nightmare Before Christmas. That honor goes to the director of MonkeyBone, Henry Selick. Burton is all atmosphere, but little development and story. If GF 2 comes out at all--to avoid a MI 4 disaster--the head needs to be able to handle character development. Tim Burton does not fit the bill.

Tim Burton didn't directly realise the Movie NBC, but, it's Tim who is behind the story. He write it down and decided to make a movie.

I don't want to see a Grim Fandango sequel unless Tim is doing it.

As for a movie.. it would make an awesome movie alright, but it's kind of a far fetched idea. Still, if it was gonna be a movie, I say Tim would HAVE to be involved. I mean Schafer. Tim Schafer. How could you not involve him? I have heard countless numbers of designers that know Tim comment on how every game is his "baby", and read the designer diary for heavens sake! To not include Schafer would be criminally insane.

As for Burton... hmmm. Maybe the Two Tims could pull something off between them, eh?

My Idea is that :manny: and :meche: show up in the 9th underworld only to find that :hector: had already taken it over before :hector: was sprouted. :manny: meets up with Eva and the LSA who have'nt had much to do but clear out :hector:'s goons. :meche: is kidnapped by :hector:'s inner circle leaders. The ninth underworld is closed by the gatekeeper while :manny: and LSA fight to take back the Ninth underworld and save :meche:.

Savvy

Well I like it

• 3 weeks later...

Archived