Best deal?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Best deal?

• Radeon 9800 128 MB (non-Pro) - $151
    • Radeon 9600 Pro 256 MB - $134
    • Radeon 9500 128MB (non-pro) - $127
    • Geforce4 Ti 4600 128MB 8x AGP - $164

Prices taken from PriceWatch.com

I'm trying to upgrade from a GeForce2 MX 32 MB.... ;) I'm also trying to keep under $200...so it's tough....

What would be the best video card for games like Deus Ex 2, Far Cry and KOTOR? I want good performance on those games.

If anyone is an expert on these things or you own one then please let me know your opinion!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mariners2001

Prices taken from PriceWatch.com

I'm trying to upgrade from a GeForce2 MX 32 MB.... ;) I'm also trying to keep under $200...so it's tough....

What would be the best video card for games like Deus Ex 2 and KOTOR? I want good performance on those games.

If anyone is an expert on these things or you own one then please let me know your opinion!

I'm tinkin of upgrading too, and i'm asking the same question :)

Originally posted by Sam Fisher

Well... I would go with the Radeon cards, but that's just me. I have a AIW Radoen 9700 PRO, and it runs JA over 50 FPS with maxed shadows and graphics.

Yeah the 9700 sounds great but it seems waaay too expensive to me...Only prices I can find are around $250....Lemme know if you are aware of a better deal....like under $200... ;)

I'm tinkin of upgrading too, and i'm asking the same question

Yeah I figured there were plenty of others thinking the same thing.

Originally posted by DarkLord60

I got the Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB and it is awesome well it did cost me $500 bucks. So get the Radeon 9800 128.

yeah but this one isn't a 'pro'...doesn't that make a huge difference? wouldn't the 9600 pro 256MB be better?

i have no clue. if anyone knows the answer - please let me know.

Originally posted by Sam Fisher

But I thought that you card wasen't compatible with some things in JA. Isn't it a better idea to get something that is compatible all the way?

yeah but Radeon prolly has more issues with JA than GeForce at this point.....from what I've heard.

the only thing that turns me off about NVIDIA is the sort of crappy DX9 support...yet i've only *heard* that too.... ;)

Go with a Radeon.

Nvidia hasnt excactly been the best lately. The FX line has horrible DirectX 9 support(my 5200 Ultra runs 10-20fps in the Halo demo at lowest settings at 1120x784(forgot the excact resolution)).

Nvidia is also limiting it's driver support (one driver release per year..although I'm betting that it's one driver series per year).

However, Nvidia has much better OpenGL and Direct X 8.1 performance. And supposedly there's going to be a DirectX 9.1 release, which will be based off what Nvida wants. If you want to head with Nvidia, I'd greatly advise a 5700 Ultra. 220 dollars, if I remember correctly. And is much better than a 5600 Ultra in the benchmarks and game tests. Plus it has DirectX 9 support, which the Ti4200 doesnt have.

Ati, on the other hand, has beaten Nvidia in almost every respect in DirectX 9. It's openGL is alright, while the Direct X 8 is roughly a bit below Nvidia. Since I dont own an ati right now(although wanting a 9800 soon), go Here for more Ati questions.

If you want an Ati card for under 200 dollars, I'd suggest the 9600 Pro 256 Mb.

Hopes this helps.

Originally posted by mariners2001

that's quite a bit compared to pricewatch.com....that's probably a pro that you're talking about....

In Pricewatch.com, the things below 300 dollars are SE versions of the 9800, which are basically 9600 Pro's. 4 pipelines instead of 8, and much less speed.

The lowest price I could find on pricewatch that was actually a 9800, was 264. Still, that's 40 dollars less than at Frys, I guess.

Pro's are about 400 dollars, and XT's 500.

Archived