Home

So...what do you REALLY think of the patch?

Neverhoodian

What do you REALLY think of the patch?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What do you REALLY think of the patch?

• WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!! This is the BEST thing that has ever happened to JA!
    • I like it, but I'm not crazy about it.
    • I kind of prefer verson 1.0, but I don't mind that much
    • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! How could they?! They absolutely ruined the game!
    • More gravy, please

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is definately an improvement. Although, they should have nerfed butterfly and they didn't. I liked playing against bots, but I haven't been able to get into a good multiplayer game with low ping, so I can't really comment too much about it. Seems good though.

The fact is they really didn't change gameplay (unless you count the "slightly harder to time rolls").

So it's definately an improvement. I don't see the reasons for people wanting to avoid this patch like they avoided the 1.03/1.04 patches for JK2.

It's the same game, just with bug fixes and exploits removed. The moves are the same, the guns are the same.

And punches and kicks have their proper sounds now, yay!

I'm sad that bots weren't improved and there is still the missing cartwheel sound (single and dual sabers) and the fact that I can't get the choke hold grapple (attack+alt attack) to work in MP, but oh well...

We can make our own bot routes, the others will have to wait for the next patch I guess...

I haven't actually downloaded the patch yet. But i am curious to see how it affects gameplay. Too bad the patch does not contain fixes to dynamic glow for Nvidia owners such as myself, it really adds a lot to the saber, maybe a patch down the line perhaps? So honestly there's not too much for me here in terms of SP, i really do miss the first person perspective in SP, Raven, please, PLEASE do something about this. However, i just got a cable modem and i think i might try out Siege.

I voted for it being the best thing, since it's been about the only thing.

I haven't tried the Catalysty 3.9s yet, which are supposed to resolve some JA issues, but dynamic glow still drops my framerate in the same fashion it did before, even when nothing glowy is on the screen. I also get 40-50 FPS in Duel 6 (that pretty Yavin one, that's like outdoors), and I recall getting a full 60 before, but that's probably a driver issue or something unrelated. This is all on a 1.53 GHz Athlon, Radeon 9700, 768 MB of RAM.

It's definately an improvement, though, as stated. I think it's a step in the right direction. All LEC needs to do is continue letting Raven make patches, and there won't be any problems in the long run.

Originally posted by SlapNut

nothings changed, they said new maps, and the fighting woulr be modified to make it more skillfull so u dont just do katas and crap, but i havnt noticed anything apart from not being able to roll well, is this just the first part of the patch?

Er...who said that, and when? Do you have a link to a quote...because I don't recall seeing anyone from Lucasarts or Raven promising anything like that in a patch.

In fact, they didn't officially announce the patch until just after it was released and available for download.

Anyway, I've installed the patch, and the in-game server browser certainly seems to be working better. Other than that, I can't tell much of a difference - although I probably haven't played extensively enough since installing it to notice all the little tweaks people seem to be talking about.

This patch is more of a 'quick glitch fix', than an aim/attempt at addressing gameplay issues specifically. It actually hasnt been a full two months since the game's release ; I would think this is too short a time to accurately gather let alone address feedback given by the broader community that would play this game. Face it, theres alot of ppl/kids who havent even played this game yet and are more likely to by/after Xmas....

For a mainly SP gamer with an nvidia graphics card, all the patch has done is....well, not much at all.

I hope this wont be the last patch.....

MTFBWYA

It hasn't ruined the game. I was worried at first but then I realized I was using the buggy "jedi vs. merc" and there was nothing to fear.

There's still some missing sound effects and I want the Choke hold, but I am glad the punch/kick sounds are back!

The exploit fixes and the server browser fix are the main things.

My borther told me that the staff gets deflected more often now. Well i can't say fer sure, but even if it's true... i think it's cool since single get's deflected alot. Since he could still kick some butt i'd say it didn't imbalance things.

I kinda got my butt kicked last night but i was a bit tired and not really into playing.. just wanted to try out the patch... i could notice anything less subtle apart from the roll changes, so i can't really say much for myself.

Not actually altering gameplay or nerfing, but instead adding to it... it would be cool to see new moves added for all sabers. Both regular swings and supermoves. New maps are always welcome as well :)

Btw... not exactly a complaint but it' still impossible to win a saberlock vs a bot in mp :p

grumph roooaarr rrraaaarrrr.... i'm a wookie :chewie:

Everything in MP i'm happy with, everything is fine. :D

But SP, they removed some of the CVARs, and im a little annoyed at that, because now i can't get dismemberment working :(

Oh god please tell me why Raven made the MoreRealistic CVAR Write Protected :confused: ?

Tesla... if you were using the Shortcut code trick to get SP dismemberment, simply replace all the instances of "devmapall" with "HelpUsObi 1" and the shortcut should work... theoretically.

-----

On my opinon of the Patch... well it's made the game much more enjoyable for me. If one uses Staff regularly, there's a ton of improvements with the way it handles and the animations/sounds - it's almost like having a new weapon. The Kicks are actually usable now, and the jump kicks are easier to do as well as faster. Also, I noticed in online FFA that I would often get pushed back by someone in the middle of a saber contact - this never happened before, and made it much more difficult to execute a butterfly in a group of people.

On my system, without touching a single graphic setting ingame or on the card, my graphics resolution dramatically improved on an ATI Radeon 9000 using Catalyst 6 drivers. I did look in my jampconfig.cfg file and saw a few cvars that weren't there before, specifically related to Aniosotropic filtering and graphics card settings.

It's difficult to imagine one installing this and not seeing a serious difference from the previous version.

Is it just me or have the duel sabers changed? it now seems a bit more challenging to use them in MP anyways, dont know about SP yet. I'd become quite skilled with duels (if i do say so myself) as it's the only saber type i use and previously you could twirl around no end getting hits left and right but now it seems...dunno, it's as though the whole way of using duels has altered as though you now need a bit more skill to control them, but i have noticed that when they connect there a lot more deadly than before but i think that last bit is more to do with the hit detection. Either that or i'm abit out of practice with duels since i haven't been on JKA for about 2 weeks, too much BF1942 secret weapons and the BF1942 SW mod and the UT troopers mod. Oh well no big deal i'll just have to do some more training with my duels again :)

Originally posted by SlapNut

nothings changed, they said new maps, and the fighting woulr be modified to make it more skillfull so u dont just do katas and crap, but i havnt noticed anything apart from not being able to roll well, is this just the first part of the patch?

It appears "they" have nothing to do with Raven, Lucasarts, or this patch. Those claims were never made from an official source. You can decide to be upset about it, but you can hardly be surprised.

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

Ruined the game.

I also don't see that much changes.

How can it ruin the game when all it did was fix a few bugs? Everything else is almost all the same. What drastic alteration has made the game so unplayable?

From my very limited experience with the new patch, the blocking seems a bit more reliable and the damage seems to be a bit higher. I haven't played long enough to know if this is really the case, but Raven seems to have altered the balance/gameplay of the sabers slightly. From what I've seen, it appears to be an improvement.

Can anyone with more experience with the patch confirm any of this?

I've just noticed something a little interesting in my JAconfig this line was never there before the patch but i dont want to muck about with it just yet incase i screw over my settings.

seta g_saberNewControlScheme "0"

Then again i thik i'll make a copy of my jaconfig and see what happens when i select 1. i'll let you guys know what i find.

Originally posted by Kurgan

It hasn't ruined the game. I was worried at first but then I realized I was using the buggy "jedi vs. merc" and there was nothing to fear.

There's still some missing sound effects and I want the Choke hold, but I am glad the punch/kick sounds are back!

The exploit fixes and the server browser fix are the main things.

Amen Kurgan, Amen.

What a lot of you guys arn't realizing is that most of the multiplayer servers use different settings. All the servers that use the bladeworks settings, the ones with @BWN next to them, are slightly more skill designed duel servers. However, they can only do so much, the rest is up to raven till the sdk is realeased :-(

-Master Karn

http://www.clanmaster.org

Archived