Home

driving age....

daring dueler

I dont know about the rest of the states, btu here in mass. there is a new law coming inot to affect later on this year/2004, which will change the age that you can get your permit to 17 years old. now, im 15, and next year I was hoping i would get my permit. now, it may come to be a fact ill have to wait another year!

I dont think they should do this, i suppose it could be safer for "more mature" people to learn , but why change it now?

Wow, that does suck. I think the problem is the learning process for driving (Driver's Ed, Behind-the-Wheel) is way too easy to pass and not the age. I hate age limits, its a stereotype where it implys that everyone at or below that certain age is not qualified, which is in some cases NOT true.

I think they should raise it. There are too many 15/16 year olds around here who already have their own car. What is the deal with that? There's almost no need to own your own car before the age of 18. I can hardly see the need to even be able to get a license before the age of 18.

I know a couple of kids at my high school, known a few for years in fact. The idea that he will now be able to drive before even I can is utterly frightening. (I'm 16.5 now and don't have my permit. I could have gotten it when I was 15, but I havn't seen the need.)

My driving instructor had to yell at me to SPEED UP. I'm the only kid I've ever met like that. Everyone else is talking about literally flooring their car... Gives me chills to know people like that drive on the roads...

But I digress. I don't think there's anything wrong with the age limit being raised. It sucks for you, yeah... But there's not much you can do about it. Sometimes you're just that close and yet so far...

The driving age here in Denmark is 18.

It costs about 1300$ to buy a license.

It takes roughly 3-5 months to get it.

What's it like over there?

EDIT: If our driving age seems outrageous, you'd probably want to know that our drinking age is 15...

Driving over here in the U.K. is far too expensive. :mad:

Your talking about £18+ for one lesson. Then the tests (theory and practical) aren't going cheap either. Although you can buy lessons in "blocks" (i.e. 15 for £150 say) it's still madness.

Having to be 17 to begin driving legally never bothers me, I'm 20 and haven't started yet. ;)

Originally posted by C'jais

EDIT: If our driving age seems outrageous, you'd probably want to know that our drinking age is 15...

WHAT?! You mean I missed out 5 years of potential drinking? Aww man..... :(

I dont have a problem with driving ages. I can see how it would be insulting to have your age group stereotyped, but think about it... when you see some riced out honda civic racing through traffic, tailgating, cutting people off, and generally being a rude driver.... you can usually bet it's a teenager trying to impress people (although not always).

Hm, I guess this topic could be expanded upon, pertaining to driving ages.

What do people here think of instituting a system in which people over a certain age must get a drivers test once a year.?Doesn't even have to be once a year, maybe less, maybe more.

I only say this because we seem to have such a huge problem with senior citizens on the road in my area. Whenever you get traffic backed up 30 cars, moving at 40 in a 55, you can usually bet it's an old man in a Buick. I've seen old folks flying the wrong way on one ways, veering off the road into medians or onto the shoulder... you name it. They'll cut you off when they turn onto the road, then drive 15 mph under the speed limit.

I guess this could be considered ageism, but isn't it a legitimate concern?

But is the problem with bad drivers because of their age? No, I believe it has to do with their ability to drive. General conclusions can be made about a certain age group (teen drivers like to show off, old people drive slow, etc.), but I think the privilege to drive should really depend on how well you can drive, which is not being tested adequately in the driving tests for your license. I suggest making the driving tests more advanced and strict instead of just increasing the age limit.

Oh driving! Great! I remember myself during my time in London or in Stockholm when I tryed to cross the street on a red signal. I was just amused by how willingly drivers stopped and let me pass.

You can't do it so simple in Russia. You'd be smashed if you try something like that (then if you survived, you should cover your ears because in no place on earth you will hear such dirt coming out of a single man's mouth). It's even dangerous to stand too close to the bus station for some drunk guy in daylight can possibly get you there (the most probable however is that you'll drown in the dirt from his car's wheels and ambulence would be needed cauze every car emmits this wonderful toxic gas "zarin").

For better understanding I present you with philosophy of my friend on the matter of safe driving (considering him an average I imagine what other russians think): "Driving 100 km/h is not reasonable, I'd better ride 140 km/r because if I crash my LADA "Kopeyka" with sport engine on 100 km, I'll probably survive and will be invalid for the rest of my life, and If'll crash on 140 - in no way I'm going to survive this, so there's nothing to worry about". By the way he's 20

Also by the way it's very easy and inexpensive to get driving license where I live, even to get a car, and I know places where it would cost you nothing at all.

I can't imagine what would happen if the driving age would be lowered. Armageddon I guess

Originally posted by wassup

But is the problem with bad drivers because of their age? No, I believe it has to do with their ability to drive.

Absolutley. But like you said, general conclusions can be made about certain age groups. So shouldn't testing be done after a certain age to weed out the bad from the good? Perhaps trackers should be placed on teenagers cars that flag the police or the DMV if they're driving recklessly.

Don't lower the driving age. Hell, my little sister (15) is too stupid and immature to get through her head that she's not old enough for sex yet. You think you want people like that on the road?

As for kids my age owning cars...

My friend bought an 89 chevy, re-did the whole thing, paint, lifted it, newer stuff, tires, nice hubs and everything.

now, he cant legally frive it on the road. now i dont care when i drive, but he cant wait......so what if he has a car(truck)?

i mean hes a good driver now, he paid for the whole thing because he works.

and after all that, he will have to wait even longer for the truck to be legal for him to drive on the road.

Archived