Home

Patch ERROR - griff looses it (old demos not compatible with 1.01)

griff38

Inside the gamedate\base folder is a folder called demos if you make demos. This folder stores the .dm_25 files created while recording demos. This folder is accessible from inside the game menu so you can replay demos.

This is how I and others record gameplay and play it back for editing to make game videos.

After patching last night the demo folder now appears empty. The patch does create a new set of folders and a new demo folder but even with demo files in both folders they are no longer available from inside the game.

To confirm it's the patch I did a complete delete and reinstall of JA and without the patch the demo files are right there. As soon as I patched again they are gone.

What this means is if I play patched I can no longer access demos for making videos.

I guess I won't be making any JEDI ACADEMY videos. :( :( :(

you can still make normal demos right? youll just have to redo some of your work. I think the reason it doesnt work is because now JA has been updated, and those demos were made with the older version. For example, with force commander, when you get the patch it deletes all of your saved games, because they are outdated..... err.. something.

Tried it all. Although I can still make a demo it does not show up in the demo menu, you would think a demo made while patched would show up. It does not.

Close JA and use windows explorer to navigate to the folders and the files are clearly there.

Well after screwing with it all morning I have come to the conclusion demos recorded prior to patching are just gone unless I uninstall the patch.

So I am just gonna start from scratch recording with the patch, and hope this error is adressed before another patch.

The new patched ja looks for a .dm_26 file and I think the unpatched version looks for a .dm_25 file.

THE ERROR MESSAGE

it cant play them cause the patched changed how the game does a few things

lets say you did a back roll in the demo or something else that was changed, it wouldnt be able to do it and everything after that would go wrong

the rest of the vid would be you probably walking into walls and off cliffs and stuff

at least thats how it was way back when but it should still hold true

That's really too bad, but not surprising.

Remember the same thing happened with the JK2 patches.. old demos became "obsolete" and no longer worked.

It's too bad there wasn't some way for the engine to "automagically" convert them though, since nothing in gameplay changed except for the rolls.. : (

At least SP save games are still compatible, that's something.

Could somebody develop a program to convert the old demos to the new format somehow?

kids a little lesson: when you record a demo you are not recording a visual record of events (why do you think a 20 minute demo is under 3 megs). you are logging what goes on between the clients (much like a server) in a format that can tell the game what to render and in what order things happen. this system is dependant on how it interfaces with the game, and the biggest part of that is the version. with each version how the game's clients and servers interact is changed. therefore old demos won't work on the new patches.

griff a suggestion:

uninstall and reinstall with 1.00. put those demos in the proper folder, and copy the entire directory for JA to another location and use it for vs 1.00 stuff (its just like in jk2 where you can simply copy the directory and it will play).

then, over the original directory, install the patch. walla, both versions are accessible.

Originally posted by Rumor

kids a little lesson: griff a suggestion:

uninstall and reinstall with 1.00. put those demos in the proper folder, and copy the entire directory for JA to another location and use it for vs 1.00 stuff (its just like in jk2 where you can simply copy the directory and it will play).

then, over the original directory, install the patch. walla, both versions are accessible.

Thanks for the lesson kids, but I tried everything before I posted here including your suggestion and it did not work.

Archived