Home

Creature mounts, check. Player cities, check. Vehicles next?

Trahern Valley

So the first forms of player transport are now live. This is good, because people quickly tire of having to run everywhere. Especially the bounty hunters, who will never ever get jetpacks. Okay, I guess I don't find riding your pet that exciting, but I'm sure most people do. If Hoth were to show up with the space expansion, it would almost definitely add tauntauns to the list.

Player cities, also a good. I imagine people will come together to build communities between the starting cities and various places of interest. With some exceptions, one assumes; I hope they do it sensibly. By now regular players know where everything is. I've yet to see Tattooine, but I've a nagging concern that Kenobi's little place in the middle of nowhere will become the focal point for a sprawling sandy metropolis. I also hope faction is a factor; you shouldn't see rebel communities springing up on the main roads of an imperial-controlled planet, and vice versa.

In any case, there is now more fun to be had, and it's certainly welcome. If I recall correctly, vehicles are next on the list, and this is the stuff I'm waiting for between now and the SE. It has to be said that anything with an engine is a good deal faster than anything with legs. I had a couple of thoughts on the subject: would an overt imperial be able to ride inside their AT-ST? Or perhaps a faction perk could be an armed scout bike, a la RotJ. As the SWG comunities grow, will there be personnel transports? Or will we have to settle for gangs of bikers charging the PvP battlefield?

Until more details are released, I guess we will have to settle for racing our creature mounts around the new player cities.

firstly, nice post... i enjoyed reading that :)

i have to say, the thought of vehicles is really exciting me, and i will be majorly "grumpy" if with the implementation of speeders and swoops remains, to say the least, at a minimum. Now i know its asking a lot to have loads of vehicles, ie.at - st would take longer as it would run completely differently to a speeder, but i just want lots more shells, basically different 3d models of various speeders and swoops. That way many people could be unique in what they drive, limiting capacities would not be an arduous task. Overall, it would becoming freaking amazing. There are many vehicles in the expanded universe, and the dev team have the ability to create their own, i just dont want every one going round in the landspeeder like in episode 4 haha!

Also, i think the dev should implement pod racing eventually, it would add a whole new profession let alone it would be the first sport added to the game :D and just be amazing (betting, racing, watching, building - all great) hey, the de could even let companies have their names on the billboards, hows that for strategic marketing! and companies could sponsor racers hah!

lewis

I think your point on the sensibility of player settlements is an excellent one. With the player stats published on the SOE website it's clear to see there are more budding young Leia and Han types than Mara Jades and Moff Tarkins, rebels outnumber imperials at nearly 2:1. With this we are bound to see more rebel alligned cities than imp ones, on imp controlled worlds this is gonna be a bit silly.

This could easily be resolved by the mindless killing of residents in rebel cities on imp controlled worlds by hoards of maurauding storm troopers. The more imp controlled a world the more likely your little den of rebel scum gets wiped out when discovered. People move on, money gets lost. Like in a real rebellion, you keep things quiet or you get killed.

It would be nice to see an intellegent ruling system- a game this size could easily afford to have a member of staff controlling rebel or imp factions and movement of troops. I would gladly do it if they wanted me to.

I shall assume the only reason you hadn't nodded off already was because you were watching Miss Portman.

I believe popular opinion is that the race and final duel were well executed, but in the end only the youngsters could really like the whole film; because no matter what Mister Lucas did for EpI, it would never have been good enough to satisfy us original trilogy lovers.

But such things are best left for other forums.

Vehicles will likely require engineering skills to keep them up to spec, and hopefully their introduction will bring along a new advanced profession with it: vehicle engineer. As if the list above Engineering IV wasn't long enough already, heh. Hopefully artisan engineering will be all you need for vehicle upkeep. Wonder what the SW equivelant to gas stations and garages are...

Anyway, if your speeder breaks down in the middle of the Dune Sea, you better be able to fix it yourself.

For those who've not read it yet ------>Vehicles Article

A whole new proffession!! Combat is briefly mentioned so has been tested, I do hope that the speeder bike is armed and that you can fire from the cockpits!

I can see the rise of many "swoop gangs"

Off topic sorry:

"Randon_Star no actually the racing did suck on the movie....." Another one quickly to see if we're on the same wavelength- Midichlorians?

I think it would be great if you could modify vehicles. Apart from flash paintjobs and the like, if you could tune the engine and add bits and pieces like extra guns or things. It would add an extra element to the game. And it could open up a new wave of Pod Racing (exciting this time, not like the film).

one any one who would pod race would get one hell of a lag, you'd have to have a super computer just to keep from freezing (exaggerated). But it would be cool to have ur own speeder and give it a tune up, ie paint it, put ur name on it, add crome :). But there will obviously be maintnace, remember that nothing is free and SWG economy sucks

Hello,

I am looking forward to vehicles. I am looking forward to the break downs. I am looking forward to the vast number of mounts that will be going on sale once speeder bikes and the like become

available.

I am most certain that many enterprising players will be selling vehicles that they have built. I look forward to that too.

I wonder if the vehicles will have speed settings, fuel gauges are almost a given. (I don't believe that they will run on Force Power)

Since droids need charging I would think that some of the vehicles

would to.

Hunting parties, I think, will be interesting.

Picture it; 10-20 speed bikes parked out side a squill cave.

Definatley, better have a mechanic or two in that hunting party.

These were just thoughts that I had. I was not trying to step on any toes in this forum. I just really like star wars and I really like this game and I am excited about the vehicles......which won't

be cheap.

Marshall_Major

Danes Lighthammer

Tattooine-Corbantis Server

I just wanna survive your little war.
:emperor::mob::snipe1::syoda:

I, too, would like to see some variation in terms of player vehicles. For example, they should add the older, slower model V-35 Landspeeder as a cheaper alternative. I would also like to see them add T-16 Skyhoppers. There was a sequence in Rebel Assault, i think, where you had to successfully navigate your T-16 through Beggar's Canyon without crashing and burning. (hard as hell). I'd like to see that happen in SWG. It would be the ultimate game of chicken! Regarding mounts, I'm disappointed that you can't mount tauntauns (who says they're native to hoth?) and bewildered that banthas are not included. (according to the Official SWG site anyway) I would think that banthas would be the most popular choice for a mount. I certainly hope that vehicle combat soon becomes possible. It will add a totally new element of combat, I would think. What's the point of riding your speeder bike through the forests of Endor if you can't chase around scout troopers?

Beggars canyon is rather a letdown in this game unfortunatly. :(

Either that or I went there with too much expectations on how it is supposed to be. Or maybe I got the wrong site. :D

Anyway, the place I was to wasn't as impressive as I had thought it would be. I'll head over there again ones I get a vehicle. :)

So now it looks like both bikes are potential equals when it comes to hitpoints, and...the swoop is faster than the scout? Does anyone else raise an eyebrow at that? I've always thought of swoops as the hogs of the SW universe, not the racers.

What happened to the trade-off between hitpoints and speed? Or is that now dependant on the quality of the resources used?

Yes, speeder bikes are in fact the faster bike of the 2, it's already established this in Star Wars. However, the Devs have obviously not read this piece of information, or they have some other reasons for not staying true to Star Wars on this subject.

You will have to ask them that though.

EDIT: Oooops, my decease is affecting my reading more than I thought. :p

The Swoop is the fastest of the 2, not the speeder bike.

Okay, so. Yes. Bugs.

On the other hand, I can now ride from Coronet to Bela Vistal in the same time it takes to wait for the next shuttle, and when I get there, rocketing off mountaintops has never been this much fun. Remember those great graphics? Now we can tour the galaxy without all that pesky jogging.

So on to stage two, since I've heard there's going to be one. Being able to mount weapons on vehicles, for instance. Of course, the speederbike (ugh, why couldn't they keep to scout bike) is supposed to be armed already; look it's got the gun right there, we just can't use it yet...

I think the one thing most people would agree on is that we should be able to use pistols while on a bike. Probably landspeeders too.

Customization just isn't as important, but I imagine they'll get around to it. Heck, they may do it first just to annoy us semantically-oriented types. Why fix the can't-store bug when you can not store it in a different color? So let's not forget that particular landspeeder model just isn't in demand anymore. At least, not until we can give it a paint job.

Hm, after 8am. Maybe I should have bothered to sleep last night...

Archived