Home

Worth Getting?

Ramsus

If your board, and you already have played all your games, but if not you should first get:

Raven Shield

Call of Duty

Battlefield 1942 (If you have a realy good PC and internet connection

And if your in to flight sims at all, IL2 Forgotten Battles

JA is ok but they could have dome a whole LOT more with what they had.

If you realy want to do lightsaber combat right now get it or JK2 whihc is almos the same, but 30$ less.

Other wise wait till you see a Star Wars FPS done on a engine other than Quake 3 or made by some one other than Raven.

Changes from JO to JA:

2 new wepons (one just a skin)

2 new sabers

1 (new) just slightly altered force power)

Shorter SP with less puzzles

Sevral minor graphics improvements.

New vehicles

Siege (needs some work)

New animations

Thats about it there may be afew more incentals I dint notice

Originally posted by Ramsus

I am considering getting this game. How is it? Is it worth getting it?

There's a demo available for JA (SP only I'm afraid) - so why not download it and actually try it out? The best judge of the games you might like is yourself, so try before you buy. ;)

I mean, would you buy a car simply because of someone else's recommendation - or try it out yourself to see if it suits your needs?

I'm doing this with more and more games, personally. Games I was really looking forward to, I decided not to get because I didn't like the demos.

I played the JA demo and liked it, which is just as well because I was determined to get the game anyway.

It appears that all unskilled players and noobs like the game. (Of course there are exceptions where noobs have some ungrounded belief that they're good players, so believe they fall into neither catagory.

If you like competetive play, its a definate no.

Originally posted by Jawa8578

It appears that all unskilled players and noobs like the game. (Of course there are exceptions where noobs have some ungrounded belief that they're good players, so believe they fall into neither catagory.

That's a pretty harsh assessment.

The main reason these games sell millions is the Star Wars license, and using the lightsaber. Of course - that is a Single Player assessment. And single player gaming dominates by probably 100:1 in FPS over MP. Really, you say? Take MoHAA - there are probably 4 million copies out there, and less than 4,000 people online at any time. Sure, alll are online all the time, so eeven taking it to 40,000 still makes it 100:1.

I don't believe there is a better weapon in any FPS ever than Raven's implementation of the lightsaber.

That is pretty much what Prime said ...

Except that you speak in absolutes, and I don't buy it. I play a limited amount of MP, but am fairly skilled. I don't fashion myself a top-level player, but I come out in the upper middle in the so-called competitive games when I play DM-type or objective based games, typically.

So would I recommend it? If you like Star Wars and FPS games, you will enjoy this. If you don't like Star Wars ... I don't know what you are doing here.

Mike

Yawn. Trolling like this has been done countless times before in this forum, and in a much better fashion. Keep up the silly name calling and flame-baiting, if it makes you feel better...

Originally posted by Prime

Yawn. Trolling like this has been done countless times before in this forum, and in a much better fashion. Keep up the silly name calling and flame-baiting, if it makes you feel better...

Hey Prime - I'm glad you did that poll ... it clarified things. Death to the whiner troll minority :D

I don't get the whole 'does it meet the criteria for competitive gameplay' thing. My criteria are two-fold: for SP, is it fun and is the story engaging, and for MP, is it fun. And of course, most of the dominant MP games have no real SP 'story' (UT, MoHAA/Sp/Bt, CoD, etc) ...

Mike

Polling on a fan forums is pointless, its not random, nor stratified.

Added to this that this forum attracts predominantly fanboys, the poll is even more unreliable.

So a troll is any whiner now?

So all those 'trolls' crying about people 'huring dfa an kicks and ptk' got there way. Trolling evidently works.

Added to this that this forum attracts predominantly fanboys, the poll is even more unreliable.

So all those 'trolls' crying about people 'huring dfa an kicks and ptk' got there way. Trolling evidently works.

Actually I don't find your comments whiney, troll-ish, or disrespectful. You don't like the game, yet hang around here, which is fine. You have opinions, and I have not seen you be rude or offensive, which is always good. I loved JKII, yet had some spirited debate with people who didn't like it. That is also good.

Actually, people who were trolling recently hung out on the 'JA for Mac' thread.

Mike

For single player its good but mp is sadly lacking.

CTF and siege are both flawed and unbalanced and limit your replay value. I am a huge fan of the jk1, mots (jk1.5) and some what JK2 but this one in my opinion just doesn't cut it... so I’d say stay away unless you like the sp demo, then get it for the sp game.

But for my MP dollar Call of Duty and BF1942 are much better.

But then no other games have a lightsaber.....sigh

Perhaps, but it did show what the people who responded felt. And of those people, the majority where happy, and the rest couldn't decide if JA was too like JO or not enough like JO. Nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe. So what?

Nope. People with complaints are perfectly welcome to come here and discuss them. But flaming people and calling anyone who likes JA newbs isn't really discussing anything.

Then keep fighting the good fight, if you think it will make a difference.

In a few threads back, many people admitted that JA was a simplified version of JK2. Simplified means easier. Therefore if you like an easier version of something, its because you find another version 'hard'. Make your own conclusions.

And

Perhaps, but it did show what the people who responded felt. And of those people, the majority where happy, and the rest couldn't decide if JA was too like JO or not enough like JO. Nothing more, nothing less

Its pointless. Its like going to a wine tasting club and asking people if they like wine. This is a fan forum, for uncompetetive players. Thats why the results strongly suggest people are happy with a less competetive 'movie like' game.

This is a fan forum, for uncompetetive players. Thats why the results strongly suggest people are happy with a less competetive 'movie like' game.

I'll have to take back some of what I said earlier. The tone of many of your posts has taken seems to indicate that this game is somehow 'inferior' (fine, your opinion), and that the people here and players of the game are also somhow inferior (not fine).

As I've said, I'm along for the SP ride in all of my games, but do dabble a bit in MP. Personally, being non-competitive, non-clan based, I just grab a server with a good ping playing the game type I want - whether it is MOHAA, RTCW, RT, SoFII, Q3, UT, JO, EF, EFII, ... or JKII/JA.

There are noobs and whiners in all of the games, but there are also some fun players and people who just own the maps. I have yet to find a game that is 'better' - I have fun regardless ... they all seem populated by teenagers to me ;)

... kind of like these forums ...

Mike

...This is a fan forum...and there are few players in clans here (meaning most are uncompetetive players)...and the ones that are in clans aren't high end 'veteren' competetive players.

If I went to a good clan forum and asked what they thought of JA, the results would be strongly biased against it as competetive play has been ruined by various bugs. Just as when you polled here, the results are biased for JA as the game is good for uncompetetive play, which is what most of this forums viewers play.

good clan forum

That's the rub, isn't it. The only universal truth about a 'good game' is that there is no universal truth.

You go to Quake forums - you get Quake fans, I go to Ritual and see lots of EFII fans. Raven - SoFII fans. EA - MoH fans. They all think their game is the best, that is is crap, that they are better, that noobs have ruined it, and there are always the 'pros' who *know* that anything but 'game x' is just a waste of time that 'serious' players don't care about.

Yawn.

Mike

I would definatley get the game if your a Star wars fan. Which you probably are. One thing is the game reminds me more of the prequal movies than the OT, it just doesn't have that classic feel to it almost like it was made to be a Prequal era game. But hey what the hell its star wars. It sure beats the hell out of star wars games like force commander, TPM, Obi-wan, and many other stupid star wars games that I bought foolishly.

Archived