Home

How do i make a exc cfg?

Mannysil

Hello,

I'm my dismemberment in both single and multyplay has gone with the new patch.I was going through the sticky threads and saw someone mention to create a cfg file and type in some stuff.I tried renaming the jaccfg but it just greated another one,also in the console it says could'nt execute the cfg file?Can someone guide me on creating the file and what to put in?Thank you and sorry if this is a redundant question:)

There are two official config files, one for SP and one for MP. These are jaconfig.cfg and jampconfig.cfg respectively. If these files are renamed or deleted, JA will simply create new ones upon the next startup. Each file is created and modified like a cache file - that means it gets written to by the game whenever a setting is changed ingame either under the setup menu or via the console.

Because of this, any changes made to these files can be easily overwritten. For example... when one uses Safe Mode to play, the current files are overwritten and replaced with preset defaults. To make a change directly to these files, one simply needs to open them with either Notepad or Wordpad, make the changes, and then Save the file - I prefer Wordpad since it reads each Cvar on it's own line... when you first open one in Notepad, it's all bunched together in a giant paragraph and difficult to edit.

In these files, one can either change or add cvar commands - but don't add a command that's already in the list. Search the list using the Find feature in the Edit menu to see if the cvar in question is already present, and if so simply change its setting. If not, one can add a Cvar like this....

seta cg_dismember "3"

And then Save the file - not as a Txt file though! Often times people forget this step and save their file as jaconfig.cfg.txt, which won't work. If you make a bunch of changes and nothing happens, be sure to check the file extension - which may requite going into the Folder Options menu for Windows and disabling "hide file extensions for known file types."

The other option is to create an "autoexec.cfg" file with your custom Cvars and place it in your base folder next to the others - this gets automatically run by JA upon startup. However, cheat related cvars need to have "HelpusObi 1" placed on a previous line for them to work this way... one can always add "HelpusObi 0" at the end of the file to disable cheats once the settings are done. Also, settings in the official config files take precedence to those in the autoexec.cfg file, so certain cvars don't always work when they're duplicated in both with different settings - my rule of thumb is if the cvar exists in the official config files, then it gets changed there. I only use autoexec.cfg for cvars which do not already exist in the other two files.

Also, with the autoexec.cfg you especially have to pay attention to the Save format, since the default for both Notepad and Wordpad is to save it as autoexec.cfg.txt.

Hope this clears things up for ya...

PS. It's always a good idea to make a backup of a custom jaconfig.cfg or jampconfig.cfg and save them to another location. That way if they get accidentally written over - which will likely happen at some point - it's easy to get the settings back. And for the super detailed person, having a text file with all of the custom or altered cvars copied as a straight list makes it easy to remember what got changed six months from now.

Yeah... what I usually do is right click on the jaconfig.cfg file and choose Open With..., and then choose Wordpad. After opening it this way, make your edits and simply choose Save in the File menu (not Save As). Usually it will default to saving the file in it's original format - just don't rename it or type in a name, leave it as it is in the Save field. Works for me all the time.

If that doesn't work, and you have the original jaconfig.cfg along wiht a jaconfig.cfg.txt file with your edits, simply delete the jaconfig.cfg file and rename the other one, dropping the .txt extension - it will pop up a warning about changing extensions, but ignore it.

Archived