Home

Enhanced Brainstorming: Saber System

razorace

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok then we'll wait 'till next week for razor to return.

I'll read up on the character interlock system razor and ytmh talked about and learn more about it... i didn't notice this kinda of stuff was already being discussed. A SoulCalibur targeting system would work too. Not a problem for there either.

The locks could be broken by any of the intervinients. The attacker by simply stop attacking or jumping/dodging out, and the defender by dodging/jumping out.

As far as multiple opponents go... the lock only happens while engaged in combo/defending... if attacked by 2 enemies, if one only performs normal un comboed attacks, they wont be locked for long or at all.

Another way of doing it is if you somehow engage autotarget. Meaning you aim the crosshair at an enemy and then engage a autotarget for as long as u want... having autotarget as a togglable new function is a nice way to go cuz there you'd have full control. And in this case, there isn't the need to force both players simultaneously into a interlock. Like when engaging in a private duel in FFA except the other doesnt have to accept... one ca be autotargeting the enemy while the other is in normal mode.

keshire made a valid point... we are already at 3 pages i nthis thread. we should be organizing the info cuz in a few days this page will probably be twice as long and there will be old ideas repeated and new ideas... the point is that it's gonna be hard to organize and take everything into account soon. We should keep a record of ideas. they dont need to be fully explained..we just need to catalog them so we can think about them and how they work from a simple title and small description than having to look around in a 10 pages long thread later to gather the ideas.

There's no need for that. From my year of work on MotF, I've found that new ideas for the saber system come up often enough that making a written plan of things is just a waste of time. I just store everything in the best place possible, my own head. :)

Plus, things often change while you do coding work as well.

You can write everything down if you want to; just don't expect it to be the end all of things while I'm coding the system. :)

Heh now worries man... I dont intend to run the show or anything not related to 3d which is my main field. :)

Well if you feel that way then it's ok. However... eventho wedont have to list every idea we've discussed here.. i still feel we should meet in real time chat... by debating with renegade in forums and chat.. it's pretty obvious that forum comunication is a bit limited in terms of understanding.

But if you prefer i'll leave that up to you when you get back from vacation if you want.

cheers :)

What did you think of the ProMod system for JK2?

Btw, that "Art of Saber Fighting" page is copied VERBATIM from Robert B. Brown (aka "B Squared")'s Star Wars page (he did a ton of in-depth pages on the Millennium Falcon and Lightsabers, lots of technical research and speculation... he didn't take the EU for granted, though he became dissillusioned with Star Wars after Episode II came out, so his info only covered up to Episode I).

Still, considering Brown's page is no longer around, I suppose he wouldn't mind too much he's being plagiarized... (?)

Rock paper Scissors is how the current balancing is done in regards to the saber styles. And I for one strongly dislike it. The styles should be used for visual, and technical (ie, one-handed, two-handed, dual sabers, staff, etc.)

At least a little control should be given to the saberists in everything they do.

From the swing, the block, the parry and parry break, the locks, everything.

I'd also like to see more context sentive actions like the dual saber stab while surrounded.

I agree with you both. Stances essencially for style.

Keshire made a good point on the context stuff... there is already a few of those as you know... so maybe we can explore that a bit more. ~Just to throw an example... imagine playing powerduel, the player has both enemies in front of him, one at 2 o'clock and the other at 10 o'clock... and you are probably backtracking to keep them from coming from oposite sides... maybe if you press attack and kick you'd defend or parry one as you kick the other... or if playing with the staff or duels, one blade would go for one and the other blade for the other... something like that.

The split kick for staff and the sideways stab are examples very alike this one except for the dynamic of what you can do.

Cheers.

Yes and those are just context sensitive attacks. Like Bloodriot said, what about context sensitive blocking? Whats the feasability of coding that in? This would definately help when being ganged up on which is a current problem. Though I could see lag being a problem.

Yep. Actually that's something that we haven't talked about yet.

I'm thinking that the walk speed needs to be boosted to something more approprate for combat and the full strafe speed for running needs to either be slowed down or balanced with reduced accuracy or something.

Context senstive blocking example.

If surrounded and attacked at same time cue alternate blocking anim, and maybe counter attack on one of opposing attackers (to free up some space).

And yes there really needs to be some type of check on strafing. I say slow it down AND reduce the turning motion when using a saber. Strafing would then be replaced by the side flip and roll. Which I wouldn't mind all that much. As long as checks were put on those as well.

I don't know how this would affect gunners though. They really like their circle strafe.

Hold on one second, Strafing shouldn't cost anymore stamina than running or walking, since it's nothing more than running or walking.

It doesn't take JEDI REFLEXES or incredible ammounts of coordination and dexterity to strafe. Or even to run-strafe.

So, you know. I think the whole thing can easily be adjusted by simply messing with the speed values.

Say, if you need to get out of the way real fast, you can use a special move, and if you simply want to circle around the opponent you can just strafe as usual. Strafing is a very important part of any sort of combat tactic, you can't charge people excessively for using it since they'll be using it as much as regular walking (because strafing IS regular walking, just in different directions while facing the same target).

Archived