Home

Teh Afterliff

ptdc

I'm bored and tired so I thought this would be a good idea. Grim Fandango is a game based in a land of the dead. I wondered what people's thoughts on the afterlife are. Warning, I will probably make fun of all your religious beliefs ;)

Once you're dead, you're worm food. Finished, nothing else. Dead, dead, dead.

I believe that whatever you believe will happen to you simply will happen to you. If you believe you're worm food, you're worm food! If you believe you're going to heaven, you go to heaven! If you believe you're going to be floating around a universe of ice cream, soda and delicious cunchy munchy cookies, well you get the idea.

Heh, a nice idea and if I remember rightly that's what happens in the Discworld universe. I'd like to be able to believe otherwise than what I do, but I've realised that if there's no god there's no afterlife either. It's a slightly uncomfortable idea for most people that when you're dead you're dead.

I've never played Grim Fandango *ducks* but I don't think this is the place for non after life believers.

There must be something after.

Simply put.

How can decades of energy and emotion be snuffed out simply by dying? Its logical.

Someone get Zoom in here. He'd have some great insight on this...:)

The afterLife would suck if it were like the Spawn seires, man...totally...

Whew, it reeks of Agenda in here. But I'll bite anyway. I just can't resist a good one of whatever you call these things.

I must concur with Ptdc on the technical level - as much as I'd love to believe in a Land of the Dead-type scenario, my Bullshit Detector (Patent Pending, so hands off,) tells me that dead is dead. No residual spirit, no heavenly reward\hellbound doom for said spirit, nothing. BUT (and this is the mother of all "but"'s) I'm certainly not stupid enough to believe that anything could ever be that simple. My inner realist (!?) just won't alllow me to jump to conclusions of convenience.

That's my answer to your challenge, Ptdc. I hope you have some good comebacks for me. I'll be mighty disappointed if you don't. I wanna argue, dammit!

Originally posted by MeddlingMonk

I prefer to avoid being too serious in any kind of forum

It's perfectly OK to be serious on a forum, as long as you don't take anything you read seriously. Fine line, maybe, but as someone once said to me: "It's the Internet, man! Who gives a shit?"

Oooer, I hadn't counted on someone agreeing with me, partially at least. What follows may be wildly inaccurate and meandering but, whatever.

The belief in an afterlife usually relies on a spiritual or religious belief. Religions started because people couldn't explain the world around them so they invented myths and gods to push they sun around the sky and such.

If you believe in an afterlife you'll probably believe than it's something other than your physical body that survives into the next life. A soul perhaps.

I believe (and there's some scientific evidence, but I can't remember what) that the soul is just another explanation for a concept we don't fully understand, consciousness. We know that the brain isn't just a vessel for the soul and that there are specific centres for speech, motor control etc. So there must be an area for conciousness.

So if the physical brain can account for "the soul"; the same brain which will rot and decay; I don't think it leaves much room for an afterlife.

Well, I hope that makes sense for you because it doesn't for me ;)

Archived