Home

In-game server browser still no good (?)

StormHammer

Okay, I've tried it on a few occasions now, and while the refresh problem seems to have been fixed...the actual number of servers showing is still nowhere near the number really available.

I just counted 44 servers online for all game types (using the new 1.01 patch)...and then I went into ASE and it listed 394. That's about 11% of the servers that are available. I'm in the UK, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it - whether it's just showing servers within my region, I don't know. A lot of them do seem to be UK-centric servers.

Now, obviously, that might be okay if you just want to stick to servers in your region...but it's not much good otherwise. I'd prefer a full listing.

So I'm certainly going to continue using All Seeing Eye to find servers I want to play on.

Anyway, I thought other gamers out there ought to be apprised of the situation. Don't just rely on the in-game server browser, because you won't see all available servers.

Happy gaming. ;)

this may not do anything for you (chances are it won't) but it won't hurt to try.

I played a lot of Quake 3 Urban Terror for a while and for some reason, the in-game browser had the same problem.

http://forums.urbanterror.net/default.asp?action=getTopic&discussionID=27&topicID=9910

That thread shows an easy way to fix it.

Granted that cvar may not even be in the JA build, but like I said, can't hurt to check.

Hmm...curious. Now the in-game browser is listing about 290 servers. ASE is listing about 380. That's a dramatic improvement. BTW...these are all 1.01 games - I'm not including version 1.0 servers in these figures. I wonder why it got stuck on only 44 the last time? Maybe there was a log-jam in the pipeline somewhere. :confused:

Thanks for the responses anyway, guys.

And thanks for the link, unnamed. I tried that command, but it didn't seem to make any difference. It might be worthwhile others trying it, though. Here's the cvar from that link...

/seta ui_ingameMaster 0

Just plain odd.

My server is patched and was working fine. Now it seems that it will show up on the ingame browser for then drop off, then reappear. I have talked to ppl that connect to my server and it seems fine through ASE. I have a couple of friends keep an eye out through their ingame browsers however they confirm that it appears then drops off then reappears. I wonder if there is a maximum amount the the ingame browser can list. I also noticed that ping times seem to be a little off. I see a server in Texas (I am in Maryland) and it has a ping time of 1ms in the ingame browser. When I ping the server normally, ping time are about 90ms.

I haven't checked the in-game browser lately to see if my server is really showing up, but I do know that I've had a lot more people visiting and showing up consistently (and not just the same people... indicating they'd be joining off the IP on the forums).

I'm pretty sure my server is being listed, and that's great. One of these days I need to check the list and see how many it actually shows...

Originally posted by Dracofyre

It may work, but I'm only getting 12 servers. ASE is a piece of crap and I'm getting nothing but servers with 400+ pings. /me cries

I really want to play JKA online, but it's just not looking good here.

Something is wrong, unless you live in Antarctica and are using 2 cans and string for a connection. Check your data rate (/rate in the console). It should be 4000 for dialup and 25000 for broadband. Even with dialup there should be a server in your region (wherever that is) with a decent ping. Sometimes I have seen players with their data rate set at 3000 or even 1000. I told them to increase their data rate (/set rate 4000 or 25000 as appropriate) and their pings dropped.

Sorry, I meant with ASE I get horrendous pings.

What's wierd though is that if I set the priority for JKA to low, my ping drops to around 150 (which is very playable), my FPS drop to 18(no matter what graphics settings I use), my WSAEDDRNOTAVAIL message goes away, and I stop getting connection interupted messages.

/me bangs his head on the wall

I DON'T GET IT!!!!

Are you using an internal dial-up modem?

99% of them use the CPU to do most of the work. Try lowering your graphcs settings, and locking your frame rate a bit lower. If I remember rightly the command would be something like

/com_maxfps 50

Try messing around with dif values, and see if it helps

ASE is a hunk o' trash. Every server it pulls up has pings over 500 or is just registering as having a ping of 9999. I've tweaked with it every way I can think of, and read through the forums/FAQs.

QTracker is fortunately still around and works way better than ASE (it may be slower but it's free and 100% reliable).

Originally posted by Dracofyre

ASE is a hunk o' trash. Every server it pulls up has pings over 500 or is just registering as having a ping of 9999.

...Do you people ever stop to think the problem might be on your end? Software doesn't usually get an extremely huge user base consisting of thousands of thousands by being a "hunk o' trash".

...Do you people ever stop to think the problem might be on your end? Software doesn't usually get an extremely huge user base consisting of thousands of thousands by being a "hunk o' trash".

Well I'd tend to disagree there, just look at AOL, good marketing makes it "#1" and yet it leaves much to be desired. Ditto for a lot of things that Micro$oft has churned out over the years.

Sure they're doing something right, but that doesn't necessarily mean their software is actually good. ; )

As to ASE, I don't have a problem with it, it's quite nice. Like Qtracker, it has its pros and cons. But its nice to be able to check through the game servers without having to fire up JA and tediously scan through the (limited in options) in-game server browser.

Archived