Home

ohhh yesss, the game is sooo unbalanced. [sarcasm]

SRF_Vader

Waaaaaahhhhhh. Hell no it isnt unbalanced, your just pissed because you got owned. Personally, im pissed that i keep killing staff and dual users so easily with single saber.

And no, not on FFA servers, im talking Duels, and powerduels, FFA's require no skill imo, its a spam of kata's and butterflies.

I find that each sabertype has its weakness and strength, and that its perfectly balanced. Ims ick of the 'staff is overbalanced' 'buttefly kills instantly' omg, um, red kata kills instantly, a normal red swing will kill instantly with single. Dual's can kill instantly, and believe it or not, a dual dead on bf can do major damage.

Enlighten me, how is this game unbalanced.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been studying these forums carefully and after my exhaustive and in-depth research I've come to the unbiased conclusion that:

A game is unbalanced if:

1) I win every time. (I can exploit the game so it's too easy)

Or

2) I don't win every time. (Other people can exploit the game so it's too hard)

There you have it folks, nothing but the facts. Read them and weep!

I don't think it is unbalanced, I just think it is too simple and quite boring in it's present state.

I mean let's cut through the B.S. for a second and look at who is the happiest with Jedi Academy:

The people who were average or below average Jedi Outcast players.

While an argument can be made that things are more "balanced" it can also be made that it has become so simplified that it lacks the higher learning curve that so many disgruntled Jedi Outcast players (who are now, as traj so eloquently put it: "happy as pigs in ****") could not quite meet.

Or in simpler terms, the game got dummied down for those who could not hang.

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

Ding Ding Ding Ding, Yeeeeeeeeeesssssss, you win the holiday the car and the gold ring.

Nail, head and hit come to mind there m8.

atx250

The people who were average or below average Jedi Outcast players.

And you determined this how?

(Putting aside my thorough and unbiased double-blind tests under laboratory conditions for a moment) Isn't this all assuming the following?

1) The clans you (FK | unnamed) played with were the best in JK2.

2) Apart from these elite clans, everybody pretty much "sucked." (Ie: most of the community)

3) These clans don't play JA in any real capacity (having deemed it unworthy).

4) "Everybody else" plays JA now (ie: the people who "sucked" before).

5) Nobody in JA will ever reach the level of skill that the above elite clans did with JK2.

Just asking... cause that is a lot to assume (ie: a big leap in logic), and it sounds pretty egotistical if you don't mind my saying so. Just an observation.

Well, actually, come to think of it, I think unnamed, if he is homo ewok like I think he is, was in the best saber JK2 clan.

As far as the saber competitive community went in JK2, it was FK, SF (which I think he was in), and FoTS (who went into shame and exile after the infamous script incident).

uh-oh -:one of those "sarcasm" posts

sarcasm seems to have dropped after 3rd post though, bugger :p

as for balancing. I play MP at Lans with friends, am doing so tmrw nite :D !!! We *all suck* and it is therefore very balanced.... :)

This does not stop us from having FUN though...

I'm getting weary of that 'owning' word... must be a white boy plantation owner thing coming out in y'all... what happenned to good ole "kicked your a**" ah, well, boys will be boys....

Dont stop having FUN playing this COMPUTER GAME(not being sarcastic)

QUESTION : Does being in an 'elite clan' help you get chicks ?

plz answer carefully, as it might result in me putting in obscene amounts of practise... (*being quite sarcastic* :p )

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Kurgan

And you determined this how?

(Putting aside my thorough and unbiased double-blind tests under laboratory conditions for a moment) Isn't this all assuming the following?

1) The clans you (FK | unnamed) played with were the best in JK2.

2) Apart from these elite clans, everybody pretty much "sucked." (Ie: most of the community)

3) These clans don't play JA in any real capacity (having deemed it unworthy).

4) "Everybody else" plays JA now (ie: the people who "sucked" before).

5) Nobody in JA will ever reach the level of skill that the above elite clans did with JK2.

Just asking... cause that is a lot to assume (ie: a big leap in logic), and it sounds pretty egotistical if you don't mind my saying so. Just an observation.

As much as I hate FK's arrogance and smarm (no offence) they were infact one of the best JK2 clans. When they combined with shock clan, as much as I dont like to admit it, they were the best JK2 clan...Now tell me any good JK2 clan that plays JA. There are none. Why?...because JA is a step down in skill and intricity. Sure theres new JA clans. But how long until they play their first few matches and realsie...this game is too simple. How long until they've been practicing JA, only to learn that they're not getting any better because there's nothing left to acheive. That is the problem with JA.

What unnamed said is right. Tell me any move thats in JA that you can't acheive first time of trying. The game is too simple. And yes people who sucked at JK2 are reveling with the prospect that they don't need to learn any difficult concepts to be good at a game. Are there any combo's that require pressing more than two buttons at once? It may seem irrelevent, but it means that you don't need to 'leran' timing, combos ect.

The game requires less skill and less practice and no competetive community can thrive on that.

Originally posted by Jawa8578

As much as I hate FK's arrogance and smarm (no offence) they were infact one of the best JK2 clans. When they combined with shock clan, as much as I dont like to admit it, they were the best JK2 clan...Now tell me any good JK2 clan that plays JA. There are none. Why?...because JA is a step down in skill and intricity. Sure theres new JA clans. But how long until they play their first few matches and realsie...this game is too simple. How long until they've been practicing JA, only to learn that they're not getting any better because there's nothing left to acheive. That is the problem with JA.

What unnamed said is right. Tell me any move thats in JA that you can't acheive first time of trying. The game is too simple. And yes people who sucked at JK2 are reveling with the prospect that they don't need to learn any difficult concepts to be good at a game. Are there any combo's that require pressing more than two buttons at once? It may seem irrelevent, but it means that you don't need to 'leran' timing, combos ect.

The game requires less skill and less practice and no competetive community can thrive on that.

And?

Right or not those who like JA will continue to have fun and play it. Those who think it isn't worthy of being played because of a lack of a big learning curve will not and move onto something else. So it is with many games.

Life goes on.

Why?...because JA is a step down in skill and intricity. Sure theres new JA clans.

But where's the proof? All I hear are accusations. Appeals to authority. Isn't there anything more solid than "I know this clan and they are the best ever and they say the game sucks so therefore it does" ? That's all I'm saying here really. They're welcome to their opinion, of course.

But how long until they play their first few matches and realsie...this game is too simple. How long until they've been practicing JA, only to learn that they're not getting any better because there's nothing left to acheive. That is the problem with JA.

How much time does it take to actually master a game? Couldn't a person simply decide after a short time that they didn't like a game and didn't want to bother mastering it in the first place?

Or are we assuming that all these elite clans mastered the game, realized it took no effort on their part, then gave up? From what I gathered few if any of them gave the game much of a chance, beyond some... ahem... shall we say (not pointing any fingers).. "testing." *Cough*

I'm not saying a person HAS TO LIKE A GAME, by no means. Rather, doesn't "mastery" imply something more than simply playing a game, "owning some people" and brushing it off as useless? I keep hearing how these guys are proud of the fact that they haven't played JA much. So how can they judge it unworthy of their "talent"?

What unnamed said is right. Tell me any move thats in JA that you can't acheive first time of trying.

And this has to do with anything??

In every fighting game I know of, pressing punch makes my character punch, first time, every time. Does that mean the game requires no skill?

Or are sluggish controls a mark of a true skill based game? ; )

Sorry, I don't see how that's relevant...

The game is too simple.

It's more complex than JK2. Before you balk, it has more moves. It removed 1 move, and added dozens more. How is that "too simple"? I think what you said is just the opposite of reality.

Does adding more moves make the game "simpler"? Or are you implying that "a n00b can just use one move over and over and always win"? (I have heard that accusation before, but its usually been smacked down by the holes in it).

And yes people who sucked at JK2 are reveling with the prospect that they don't need to learn any difficult concepts to be good at a game.

Such as? Enough people are complaining that their "uber moves" from JK2 aren't as powerful as they once were. Isn't this proof that their supposed "suckage" isn't really based on anything?

It's a fact that many of the people playing JA have NEVER PLAYED JK2 BEFORE. Does that mean they suck at JK2? Maybe, but you can't judge them because they haven't played the game.

What this argument is implying is that JK2 was made up of skillful people, and that JA "ruined it" by changing the game to appeal to "n00bs" and left the skilled players out in the cold.

I remember hearing the same argument made by a few elite players with JK1 (ie: JK2 is dumbed down for people who sucked at JK1).

Somehow I just don't buy it. Sounds more like they're just angry that the game forced them to change their playing style.

Are there any combo's that require pressing more than two buttons at once?

So skill = pressing more than 2 buttons at once? Heh, ok. ; )

Actually, can you name me some combos that DO (that are in JK2 but not in JA)?

Update: Though if we're talking about individual moves, I suppose Cartwheel/Butterfly take skill because they require the pressing of 3 buttons to perform each. Likewise the lunge takes 3. So does the DFA and "yellow DFA." They aren't combos, but still... and the latter moves are also in JK2. Anyway since when does holding down lots of keys constitute "skill"? People can just script any move to one button anyway.

Because for the most part, the so-called "combos" are done by pressing a sequence of buttons, or tapping a button, not holding down a huge number of keys at once. Now JK1 had some great "combos" in the classic sense, from a certain point of view.

It may seem irrelevent, but it means that you don't need to 'leran' timing, combos ect.

That's the funniest statement ever. Timing doesn't need to be learned? Combos don't need to be learned? Less skill? Less practice? Seriously, are we even talking about the same game?

Last time I checked many of the moves in JA are the same as JK2. If you're saying that JK2 "masters" therefore didn't need to learn anything new, that's not the same as saying the game requires no skill. That's like saying street hockey requires no skill because you are already an ice hockey master and didn't have to learn much new stuff...

Then again, if something changes, don't you have to "learn the new way/timing/method/strategy"? Or are you saying that you can win every time, regardless of your opponent's skill with one move?

Again, you make the accusations, but don't provide any evidence (other than hearsay). That last paragraph of your's sounds like a tautology.

Originally posted by Jawa8578

that smarm and arrogance was from the original FK, not the s~ guys.

but as far as clans go, you're right, to an extent. although we were hardly what i would consider "elite," there were 2 clans that were better than every other clan but s~ in TDM near the end, those being g// and sd., and a lot of members in my clan (along with myself) were in g//, and sd is essenitally aP, and they're playing too, tho more in the guns sector than sabers (they play only for matches, just like us).

And?

Right or not those who like JA will continue to have fun and play it. Those who think it isn't worthy of being played because of a lack of a big learning curve will not and move onto something else. So it is with many games.

Life goes on.

Defeatist! (just kidding)

There's always somebody willing to give in and say "well okay I agree that we're all a bunch of n00bs with no skills, but the game is fun!"

Can't you see how illogical his argument is (in favor of saying that JA is skill-absent)? No offense, but you're just stroking his ego by saying he's right. ; )

Anyway from what I've seen the people who this game is supposedly unworthy of their time spend an awful lot of time arguing and ranting against it. Almost as if they are hoping that they can get people to leave the game and join their community... or get a patch that turns the game into... whatever it is they wanted and didn't get.

I guess that's their perrogative, still!

Skill absent, isnt the word to discribe it IMHO, there are pleanty of very skillfull players, but the randomness seems to be too random. im beating really good players, that i hadnt a hope of beating in JK2, even with a mouse that is sticking i still can win more duels than i ever won before. I never really was a great a dueler in JK2, but in JA im much better.

well kurgan, you have some very good points, but i have to say some thing about what you were saying about one clan plays it the rest follow suit, etc. sure when one clan plays a game and clans from games that they played in the past go and play them, that happens, partly because they like to play with the same people, to an extent, and it can assure them someone to hone their skills with. but one clan going and testing a game (not talking about the stupid beta, many people played it too and had hopes, but they knew that it was nowhere near final so it didn't change their outlook on the game) and the rest either picking it up or dropping it based on the other clan's assessment. every clan had people who went and bought the game to see if it would work for the clan (and cause they wanted it), and they evaluate the game. the people in those clans know how the people who got the game think and when they evaluate it and tell them, they adjust it from their pov, to what it probably is, and in the case of ja, they were spot-on in many cases. many fk's havent touched the game. why? UJ, swift, crow, tricknasty, myth all played it and found that it was lacking. in the past i've learned to trust what uj's assessment is, but i always check for myself and i've found that at times i disagree with his assessment. but as far as this game goes his clan and several others aren't going to play before the game gets some help, and thats not on one person's word, its many people's.

So skill = pressing more than 2 buttons at once? Heh, ok. ; )

Actually, can you name me some combos that DO (that are in JK2 but not in JA)?

Because for the most part, the so-called "combos" are done by pressing a sequence of buttons, or tapping a button, not holding down a huge number of keys at once. Now JK1 had some great "combos" in the classic sense, from a certain point of view.

thats exactly what he's talking about. not mashing a bunch of buttons at once.

I remember hearing the same argument made by a few elite players with JK1 (ie: JK2 is dumbed down for people who sucked at JK1).

and jk2 was a completely differen't game from jk1. ja is not a terribly different game than jk2. its neither similar enough to be a total hit with everyone, nor is it different enough to incurr people to take a long time to learn it.

It's more complex than JK2. Before you balk, it has more moves. It removed 1 move, and added dozens more. How is that "too simple"? I think what you said is just the opposite of reality.

Does adding more moves make the game "simpler"? Or are you implying that "a n00b can just use one move over and over and always win"? (I have heard that accusation before, but its usually been smacked down by the holes in it).

well, it has more moves than jk2, yes, but as for more complex, not unless you are speaking in terms of the # of moves you can do. the problem is that those extra moves do not add enough to make it to where there is a real learning curve. the moves themselves do not really add a terrible ammount, and in some cases they very easily will screw you up.

Wrong. Not always, in the beginning it had full force on the server. it was changed 2 or 3 months after i joined to accomadate those that didnt want force. Again i say, just couse my clan server has NF, doesnt make me a NF'er. There are 100's more servers to play on, including my own when i decide i want to make one for my friends.

You really should stop assuming things.

Originally posted by atx250

Wrong. Not always, in the beginning it had full force on the server. it was changed l8r to accomadate those that didnt want force, and again i say, just couse my clan server has NF, doesnt make me a NF'er. There are 100's more servers to play on, including my own when i decide i want to make one for my friends.

You really should stop assuming things.

did you ever play on TWL's FF/SO Duel ladder? j/w

fine, you were a ff'er, why didn't you guys play on the ff/so tdm ladders?

Archived