Home

geforce fx 5200

kingdomwinds

I was at a Lan tonite, file swapping, gaming etc... I have a friend who has a SUPER DUPER souped up system which he usually never stops bragging about... dual BIOS, 1 gig ram, 128mb ATI radeon card... installed JA and couldnt get it going, got that openGL subsystem error...... needless to say, we were all ROFLOAO... when i left he was surfin for drivers :p

I have a GeForce5600 in my laptop. Its 64 mb. Works great for JA. But I would love a 128mb card, which were a bit harder to come by in laptops when i got mine. Also, as Dynamic Crow said above, you gotta have the system to support it...

MTFBWYA

Even a 'souped' up system with a gig of ram and a 256 video card sometimes can't even run the simplest of games, whereas a not so 'souped' up PC will run them nicely.

That's the downside of technology... Spend $3,000 for a gamble.

By the way I noticed the new AlienWares are over $5,000 (with a 64-bit board).

Anyone ever test an alienware or have one? Are they really that great? And does anyone know what kind of video card they use.

Originally posted by majortom1969

well i got the "FX 5200" (128bit/128MB)

the rest of my comp

Gigabyte GA-VAXP mobo

Amd Athlon 2600+@2800

1024 Mb ram

and it runs great

i also play BF1942 on high video settings without any problems

when the rest of ur comp is fine this card is not as bad as some ppl believe

Try turning up the FSAA and AF...then we'll see who's in clug central :D

Originally posted by kingdomwinds

I plan to get a dell pc and it offered ati radeon 9800 too. are there any problems with this card in JA?

I have a Radeon 9600Pro, it had NO problems running JA at ALL.

I used cat 3.6 drivers, perhaps the newer versions have problems but don't fix what ain't broke. That Radeon 9800 is really powerful, way more than enough to run JA with all eye candy, FSAA and AF without slowdown.

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

Don't get it if your PC cant handle it, or it'll make your games worse.

The FX5200 isn't exactly the height of GPU power is it? :p

Infact, it's a budget card (lowest end near enough, heh) so I doubt there are many systems that can bottleneck it. Unless ofc you've not upgraded your PC in the last three years...

Originally posted by DarkLord60

Ati Radeon 9800 Are excellent cards. I have not had one problem with it. Except low frame rates when turning on Dynamic Glow.

I recomend getting on if you've got the money. If you can get the ATI Radeon 9800 XT.

I think you'd get better value if you just get the 9800Pro and overclock it slightly, but still even a 9800 is more than enough for this game would last you for a long time (well not literally ofc, it depends on how fast technology progresses :p ).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey get the GeForce FX 5700 Ultra. I got it and its good!

I dont get low fps with projected shadows and dynamic glow.

i usally get around 50-90. (normal)

20-40+ sometimes, thats not bad!

Turn off video sync and your fps will increase like hell. :)

Get the 5950 Ultra if you're rich. But i wouldnt recommend it as its only in 258 MB. As for the 5800, the GPU is a total failure. It genarates a lot of heat.

EDIT: I got this from the nvidia site:

chart.gif

legend.gif

Hey get the GeForce FX 5700 Ultra. I got it and its good!

I dont get low fps with projected shadows and dynamic glow.

i usally get around 50-90. (normal)

20-40+ sometimes, thats not bad!

Turn off video sync and your fps will increase like hell. :)

Get the 5950 Ultra if you're rich. But i wouldnt recommend it as its only in 258 MB. As for the 5800, the GPU is a total failure. It genarates a lot of heat.

EDIT: I got this from the nvidia site:

chart.gif

legend.gif

Actually for the price of an FX5950Ultra I'd get the 9800XT instead.

The 256MB offers like 5% performance increase I think of what a 128MB version would (for the fx5900 anyway).

Don't stick to Nvidia like they're the god of video hardware, look at the competition as well and ATi is more than worthy.

I wouldnt recomend getting 256MB cards as they may or may not improve your system. Like 5% only.

Originally posted by Pooeypants

Don't stick to Nvidia like they're the god of video hardware, look at the competition as well and ATi is more than worthy.

I almost got a 9600XT, but as long i'm playing JA i'll be using nvidia cards.

Where is this compitition anyway?

I almost got a 9600XT, but as long i'm playing JA i'll be using nvidia cards.

Where is this compitition anyway?

heh, you misintrepreted my use of the word competition in that I mean ATi and Nvidia are competing, oh and don't forget the XGI...you'll see soon. :p

The 9600XT and FX5700Ultra have very similar performances, although Nvidia cards tend to do better at OpenGL. Anyway, if it was the cheaper of the two then you made the right choice.

Archived