Home

Boxing

Keyan Farlander

Boxing has lost its appeal, it gets closer and closer to the likes of the WWE on a daily basis. There is only one great champion left, Roy Jones, and after he gets his fight with Tyson (which I will most certainly watch), he'll probably retire. Like horse racing, boxing has become a sport of the early twentieth century.

In my opinion, boxing needs to a unifying force, some sort of centralized control. There are too many titles out there.

Ah good, some duscussion!

Originally posted by Kylilin

Boxing has lost its appeal, it gets closer and closer to the likes of the WWE on a daily basis. There is only one great champion left, Roy Jones, and after he gets his fight with Tyson (which I will most certainly watch), he'll probably retire. Like horse racing, boxing has become a sport of the early twentieth century.

Do you classify Jones as a "great" champion meaning he is a great fighter or something else? I'm not sure how great a Jones/Tyson fight would be. I think Tyson is all finished. His ring skills have dropped to the point where he can't be taken too seriously anymore.

Don't think much of Lennox Lewis, then?

Anyway, the hevyweight division is looking a little empty right now, but there are still some guys I really like to watch, like Vitali Klitschko and Joe Mesi. And the lighter weight divisions have some nice champions. How about that Manny Pacquiao, eh? Marco Antonio Barrera didn't know what hit him.

I'm personally looking forward to the Vitali Klitschko/Kirk Johnson fight on December 6 (as luck would have it, Mesi is fighting on the 6th as well). Lewis will have to fight the winner if he wants to keep his WBC title (the only one he has left), and I really want to see another V. Klitschko/Lewis fight. The first one was great. I was literally on my feet at some points. Of course, Lewis seemed a bit out of shape for that one, but even if that were not the case, I think Klitschko would have put him away if the cut had not forced a stoppage. Hopefully, Lewis has one more fight in him.

In my opinion, boxing needs to a unifying force, some sort of centralized control. There are too many titles out there.

I agree, but it is so easy to enjoy boxing on a fight by fight basis that even the "alphabet soup" nonsense cannot ruin it. Just two guys in there, man to man. Who really cares what they are ranked and by whom? There's going to be a winner and a loser, and for however many rounds the fight lasts, that's all that matters. The only thing that can really screw it up (aside from one of the fighters taking a dive) is unfair scoring. And that does happen sometimes. Remember the Rocky Jaurez/Cello Diaz fight a while back? It was great while you were watching it, Jaurez obviously losing the fight, but managed to save his perfect record by a last round knockout with one of the greatest left hooks I've ever seen (in his hometown, no less!). But then you see that two of the three judges scored it for Jaurez! If I were Diaz and that fight had gone the distance, I would have been beyond furious.

I would classify Roy Jones as a great fighter and a great champion. Even though lately he hasn't fought the kind of opponents he had earlier in his career. As for Lennox Lewis, he is a great fighter, but as was mention the heavyweight division is a bit bare and has been for quite some time. Its too bad Tyson is such an idiot, he lost some of his greatest years to prison, and now he's broke.

Who really cares what they are ranked and by whom?

That is true, but it could become a major factor in attracting new fans, as well as bringing back some old ones. If a central sanctioning commitee was formed, at a national level, I think boxing could become much more marketable and in turn, much more popular. Just think of it, one belt for each weight, I think fights would become much more intense and exciting if there was only one prize to fight for. Fight promoters could be done away with, which would most definately eliminate 99% of the corruption that exists in boxing. It is this corruption that has driven so many fans away. With a centralized sanctioning commitee, competition and rankings would be based on skill, not on whos promoter or manager has bribed the most people.

The last fight I watched that I thought was a great bout was fernando vargas vs felix trinidad.

I would classify Roy Jones as a great fighter and a great champion. Even though lately he hasn't fought the kind of opponents he had earlier in his career. As for Lennox Lewis, he is a great fighter, but as was mention the heavyweight division is a bit bare and has been for quite some time. Its too bad Tyson is such an idiot, he lost some of his greatest years to prison, and now he's broke.

True. But you know, did Tyson ever beat a really good fighter? I can't think of one. He was good, and he put lesser opponents away early, but I don't think he's ever defeated anyone who was really good. Holyfield took him twice, Lennox Lewis pwned him, and...he lost to Buster Douglas, even before he went to prison. Douglas was never exactly a first-class heavyweight.

That is true, but it could become a major factor in attracting new fans, as well as bringing back some old ones. If a central sanctioning commitee was formed, at a national level, I think boxing could become much more marketable and in turn, much more popular. Just think of it, one belt for each weight, I think fights would become much more intense and exciting if there was only one prize to fight for. Fight promoters could be done away with, which would most definately eliminate 99% of the corruption that exists in boxing. It is this corruption that has driven so many fans away. With a centralized sanctioning commitee, competition and rankings would be based on skill, not on whos promoter or manager has bribed the most people.

Oh I agree, I'm just saying that I can enjoy things on a fight by fight basis in either case. I'd love for there to be one title for each weight.

Boxing lost its appeal to me in the late 80s, and that's saying something coming from a city known for its boxing heroes (Rocky Marciano and Marvelous Marvin Hagler). Most of the good fights these days are on cable TV, and I don't have it, so don't even talk about regular cable, let alone pay-per-view. I miss the days when you knew you could see an Ali fight on Wide World of Sports.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, there's getting your ass kicked and then there's getting your ass kicked. Klitschko destroyed Johnson in less than two rounds. Johnson only landed nine punches. It was beautiful. I knew Johnson was doomed from the minute his weight was announced. 260 lbs.? The man's 6'1" - he shouldn't be stepping into the ring at 260 lbs. Larry Merchant even refered to him as "Crispy Cream breath." LOL.

Incidently, BEST.PROMO.EVAR.

Click

Well, Lennox Lewis either has to fight him by June or give up his WBC title. If Lewis does retire, I believe there will be an eliminator bout between Klitschko and Sanders (who was the only person to defeat Klitschko's brother, Wladimir Klitschko) for the WBC title. Either would be an interesting bout, but I really want to see a Klitschko/Lewis rematch.

Boxing is so boring to watch, especially when it is left to a decision. The scoring for Boxing is not as good as some people think.

That is why i have started to enjoy Shoto-kan kick boxing.. you actaully get points for throwing your opponent, and the only protection the guys have is a cup and some tape aroudn the fingers.

nasty stuff when you see guys getting thier heads knocked in with a knee strike

Actually, the more kinds of techniques that are allowed, the boring a fight gets to watch, in my opinion. I'm not a big sports guy anyway. Boxing is pretty much it for me. It's the only thing I'll ever actually plan to watch. If I happen see a baseball game ot a billiards match on TV, I might leave it on, but the rest go off as soon as I see them.

the more kinds of techniques that are allowed, the boring a fight gets to watch

I find that generally true as well.

The shame is boxing still can be exciting. Even a fight decided by the judges. No one has to be knocked down in a good boxing match. The problem is people always want someone to be knocked down or out, and really don't enjoy the strategy of boxing, which to me is the real gravy.

Archived