Home

Idea for a glm exporter

tFighterPilot

Why would you export to .XSI and make a .car file? It seems natural that if you're making a new exporter it would export directly to .glm.

In either case, no, it's not a good idea. There's more of a need to be able to make models in other modelling programs, and I know that I'd think it wise to make an exporter for a modeling program that doesn't cost as much as XSI or 3dsm - like MilkShape (though I'd rather the program be completely free - and NO not GMax, because it's just a neutered 3dsm)

I think at this point the gaming industry is shifting to Maya, which is being used to create content in more and more games all the time.

Still, the point from down here is to save money - I'm not writing anything to support a program I can't afford.

Valve is supposed to release dotXSI plugins for softimage|exp, maybe they export to the same version JO/JA uses.

Oh yeah. There's Wings 3D, which is based off of or inspired by Nendo and Mirai. Mirai was used by Bay Raitt for Gollum in TTT, and Nendo is a $100 version of Mirai that doesn't do animations. It's all with these context sensitive menus, which are supposed to be really intuitive and far more efficient than other stuff.

Here's a video of Bay Raitt doing some stuff in Mirai... Pretty amazing.

Worth making a plugin for. I might do it when I'm done with my college applications.

Edit: Oh crap. I don't think it does skeletons at all, seeing as how you can't animate in it, so I'd have to make a lot more than a simple exporter. Bah.

Archived