Home

File sharing and piracy survey

Emon

This is a simple survey I wrote up for a polling project in my government class. I'd really appricate it if you could take a few moments and post your answers; I am stuck doing all the work in my group (again), so I'm trying to get more done via internet because it's faster and easier.

Oh, and please, no debating. Take that elsewhere, or at least wait until I have enough answers. :)

(Oh, if you don't fileshare ever, skip ahead to the moral stuff and leave the above blank.)

1.How often do you use internet file sharing software (e.g. KaZaA, Napster, WinMX, etc.)?

A. Every day B. Several times per week C. Monthly or less often D. Don't at all

2.What do you share the most?

A. Music B. Movies C. Software D. Other

3.Some people claim that they download songs to see what they're like, and then go buy the actual album. Do you?

A. Yes B. No

4.Do you believe sharing of copywrited material, such as music or movies (not including genuinely free music) to be immoral or wrong?

A. Yes B. No C. Undecided

5.If you answered yes to the previous question, do you care that it's wrong when you do it?

6.Out of the people you know, about how many use the internet for file sharing?

A. Most all B. Only a few C. None

7.Do you consider file sharing and piracy to be a significant problem?

A. Yes B. No

8.Groups like the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) are starting to take some drastic measures to stop piracy of music, movies, etc., going as far as attempting to sue those who are caught thousands of dollars per song. Do you think this is an appropriate countermeasure, or do you think they should seek alternate means which aren't as incriminating to average users?

A. Yes, it's appropriate. B. No, alternate means of compensation is needed.

9.While many companies argue that increased prices of products, such as albums or movies, is to compensate for loss of money from piracy. Many others argue that significantly lowered prices could drastically reduce piracy, because people won't feel overcharged or ripped off from buying expensive products. Which do you agree with?

A. Higher prices are justified and needed B. Significantly reducing prices can help reduce piracy

10.Do you think there will ever be a solution to piracy and illegal file sharing that is good for publishers, artists, and customers?

A. Yes B. No

Thanks.

1.How often do you use internet file sharing software (e.g. KaZaA, Napster, WinMX, etc.)?

A. Every day

A. Music

3.Some people claim that they download songs to see what they're like, and then go buy the actual album. Do you?

B. No (only done that twice)

4.Do you believe sharing of copywrited material, such as music or movies (not including genuinely free music) to be immoral or wrong?

A. Yes (isn't stealing bad?)

5.If you answered yes to the previous question, do you care that it's wrong when you do it?

I care that I am doing something bad.

Some

A. Yes (people are losing millions to billions a year to bootlegged and illegal copies and then they sometimes have to up the cost of their product to the people who actually do pay)

8.Groups like the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) are starting to take some drastic measures to stop piracy of music, movies, etc., going as far as attempting to sue those who are caught thousands of dollars per song. Do you think this is an appropriate countermeasure, or do you think they should seek alternate means which aren't as incriminating to average users?

I don't know what they should do but I know what they did to kazaa users was illegal because they modified the kazaa product so as long as it isn't illegal use the law to your advantage.

9.While many companies argue that increased prices of products, such as albums or movies, is to compensate for loss of money from piracy. Many others argue that significantly lowered prices could drastically reduce piracy, because people won't feel overcharged or ripped off from buying expensive products. Which do you agree with?

B. Significantly reducing prices can help reduce piracy (When artists put out crap songs on a cd with one good song I don't want the cd I want the one good song)

10.Do you think there will ever be a solution to piracy and illegal file sharing that is good for publishers, artists, and customers?

B. No because there will always be some form of piracy and publishers/artists will always want it to stop.

BigTeddyPaul

B. Several times per week C. Monthly or less often

A. Music

A. Yes B. No If I really like the album, I keep it on my hard drive until I have enough money to go out and buy it. If I wouldn't buy it, it stays on the hard drive for about a month, then I delete it.

B. No

A. Most all

B. No

B. No, alternate means of compensation is needed.

B. Significantly reducing prices can help reduce piracy

A. Yes B. No i don't know.

i am willing to answer those questions, but would only do so if I am allowed to elaborate on the answers. simple y\n\maybe answers in polls such as these only provide meanless data which then gets re-invented into whatever slant or angle the pollsters want them to be. (not saying anything bad about you) I have done far too many surveys to know that like a buffett, only the best goey cheesey bits get eaten, while all the lima beans grow fuzzy mold under the heat lamp of public opinion

anyhow if your project includes expanded survey answers then I am your pidgeon and you can ask away.

B. Several times per week

A. Music B. Movies (movies I download only until they come out on dvd, I'm banned from the local theatre)

A. Yes (If I like the album [atleast the majority of the album])

C. Undecided

If they never made the money from my gaining the song technically they didn't lose anything. Not to say I don't feel a little bad about downloading but ... yeah

C. Undecided

A. Most

B. No

If the album cost less I wouldn't feel so ripped off in buying a 2 good song cd.

B. No

Not everyone is willing to buy no matter the cost, and people will always be greedy.

C. Monthly or less often

C. Software

N/A, i don't really download songs

A. Yes, to some extent

A. Yes, sort of

B. Only a few

B. No, only a couple (crappy) music CDs are really being damaged IMO

B. No, alternate means of compensation is needed. Sueing isn't going to get them anywhere, and there are too many ppl for it

N/A, I just think it's a lose/lose situation

B. No, not really, i think it will either die off over time or just stay how it is

Hmmmm

A. Every day B. Several times per week - usually to play my music but it shares it at the same time

A. Music

3.Some people claim that they download songs to see what

they're like, and then go buy the actual album. Do you?

A. No, alot of my stuff are theme tunes etc. that you jsut can't buy

A. Yes to a certain extent but I was never going to buy it anyway :/ See andswer below.

B. No - I find that the more people download things, the more popular it gets meaning that people who wouldn't have bought it and don't share DO buy it (like friends).

A. Most all

B. No, see Q5

C: Don't Care really.

B. Significantly reducing prices can help reduce piracy - If the prices were lowered, the songs i downloaded and found i liked I WOULD PROBABLY BUY.

B. No

Originally posted by Darth Eggplant

anyhow if your project includes expanded survey answers then I am your pidgeon and you can ask away.

It doesn't, because it's supposed to be a short project, and we're supposed to recognize the lack of explination as one of the shortcomings of such polls.

Thanks to all who have answered, it helps a lot.

And if you really feel like the RIAA would monitor these forums, or if a moderator would ban you for saying, "Hey, I download music!", then don't answer. :rolleyes:

D. Don't at all (Not anymore, atleast)

A. Music

B. No

C. Undecided

B. No

B. Only a few

B. No

B. No

1)B

2)N/A, I don't share, I only d/l

3)A

4)C, I only download the singles for use on personal mixes.

5)B, see above answer

6)Around 50/50

7)A

8)B, I guess I'm an average user.

9)BS, it's just for more money. I don't get why a cd that costs them 12 cents to make is $20. That's over %150 profit. Come on, now. If I was one of the people that d/l entire cds, if cd's were at a much more reasonable cost, I would buy it.

10)No.

:)

Originally posted by Chase Windu

I'd answer the questions here but how do I know that the RIAA isn't monitoring these forums?

looooooooooooooool :D

goofball! bye saying something like that you're implying that you dl and share music, i.e., you perform the act of piracy. lol... but i doubt the riaa would go as far as to employ someone to post on a forum and grab random ppl off the internet. something DOES need to be done about the fact that the music industry loses millions, even billions to people pirating their music.

A. Every day B. Several times per week C. Monthly or less often D. Don't at all

A. Music B. Movies C. Software D. Other

A. Yes B. No

A. Most all B. Only a few C. None

A. Yes B. No

A. Yes, it's appropriate. B. No, alternate means of compensation is needed.

A. Higher prices are justified and needed B. Significantly reducing prices can help reduce piracy

A. Yes B. No

1. B

2. D (I don't share stuff to prevent them hogging my bandwith I just move the file to another directory; also I don't get sued by the RIAA :D)

3. A

4. B

5. B

6. A

7. B

8. B

9. B

10. B

Originally posted by Chuahtemoc

something DOES need to be done about the fact that the music industry loses millions, even billions to people pirating their music.

I have just the plan. They can jack up the charges for cd's to say...14-20 dollars? That should more than cover the 1-3 dollars it costs to actually manufacture them. Oh wait, they've been doing that for years! ;)

1. B

I use it a few times a week to maybe download (a) cool song(s) I've heard.

2. A

Music by far.

3. A

Download it and if I like it enough, try and get money to buy the cd.

4. B

I don't think it's wrong at all. I think that some people (me, as example) doesn't have the means to get money to buy cds on a moderately regular basis and their only means is to use file sharing. I mean, the people making the money are already insanely rich already.

5. B

Answered no. ^_^

6. B

A few of my friends use it.

7. A

Although I don't view it as wrong per-say, it has kinda become over used and is actually hurting sales of cds and/or movies.

8. B

For god's sake, don't sue people for it.

9. B

I'm positive that if they lowered prices of music, etc. more people would actually be able to/choose to buy the stuff.

10. A

Eventually someone must figure out the situation.

Archived