Home

Pcgamemods.com

Imperial_thug

anyone been here lately? What is going on over there? I usually go over and look for new levels to play. Lately all the new levels posted have no screenshots. How am I to tell what these levels are or if they are even worth downloading if they don't have screenshots?? Is this something new that pcgamemods is doing to save bandwidth or something? Or do a lot of new mappers simply not know to include screenies. I know it's not entirely right to totally judge something from a screeny, but they do say a lot about the quality of something. How am I to know that a level is'nt just a plain box or something dumb like that if I can't see a preview? Well, whatever the reason for this, I really think it sucks.

Ever since pcgamemods gave their site its "new look," the submission requirements have become more lax. Submissions no longer need screenshots to be posted. Unfortunately, this means that you have to take the author's word for it and hope for the best if you download something. Because of this, I usually wait until it gets a score and I read some comments from others before considering to download files.

My guess is that authors don't post screenies for a number of reasons. They don't know about the benefits of screenshots, don't know how to post screenshots, excitedly try to submit their file as soon as possible, (thereby bypassing posting screenshots) or simply don't care and/or can't be bothered. Just grin and bear it, as it's probably not going to change any time soon, I'm afraid.

Neverhoodian wrote:

I usually wait until it gets a score and I read some comments from others before considering to download files

What sucks about the whole scoring thing is really depends on how many ppl actually vote. If only one person votes on a file, and they give it a 9.0, then the file gets a score of 9.0. What if that one person has really bad taste?

I like the site and all, but there admins are beginning to be somewhat corrupt. They have deleted alot of peoples files, because they dont them. And im not the only one that this has happened to. And im not trying to stur up trouble, just presenting the facts.

or dont go there, they have fewer files than this site lol...the admins only delete multiple mods by the same person, releasing them over and over, or maybe a terrible mod, becuase it just junks up the place.....they arnt that corrupt, but every one goes off the rocker now and again

Their desire to get more files is admirable.

Compare their submission requirements (very light, almost non-existent, judging by some posts) to the (rather strict) ones we have at LucasFiles.com.

Quantity or Quality?

Anyway, nothing against them, I visit their site a lot as well, and I too am annoyed when all we get is a one sentence description (usually full of misspellings, grammatical errors, etc) that tells almost nothing about the mod, no screenshots, etc.

Plus you see people submit the same file multiple times, or say "oops I submitted the wrong file" or "this version works, the last one didn't at all because I forgot to fix X, Y, Z."

Mistakes happen but it could be a lot cleaner. I say talk to whomever is in charge of the site and give them your feedback on how to improve.

The worst that could happen is they'd ignore you. But if they care what the public thinks, enough complaints could get them to change their policy.

KMD

I have seen them delete alot of good files on PCGM. The only reason they take them off is simply they dont like the files. And you cant tell me thats not corrupt.

Kurgan

Send complants to Sergio, very funny. Sergio has nothing to do with the site anymore. Sergio is off somewhere doing otherthings besides running a file server. When he is there hes doing other things for rest of the gaming files. Yea people who submit there work should make sure that it is finished and has no bugs before adding it to the site. Thats there own fault, not fully testing there work.

i can to tell you its not corrupt, just did!:p any way, they have way more good files that i have gotten than bad, 80% of the keep only mods that i have, meaning they are so good i dont just play with them, and delete them, i keep them forever, are on pcgamemods, and this site has plenty of crummy files, the only file i have gotten from here, thats any good, that didnt come out on pcgamemods first, was the voice for jaden!!

Send complants to Sergio, very funny. Sergio has nothing to do with the site anymore. Sergio is off somewhere doing otherthings besides running a file server. When he is there hes doing other things for rest of the gaming files.

Well, need it be said, but by having such lax rules for their files, they are really encouraging this sort of thing... thus the blame can be laid squarely on the webmaster(s) of pcgamemods.com who made that decision.

Massassi.net isn't a big JA site (yet) but in terms of JK2 and the rest of the games in the series, it puts both sites utterly to shame. And it still has always had strict rules (not as strict as LF, but still).

Sorry.

Originally posted by Zappa_0

Send complants to Sergio, very funny. Sergio has nothing to do with the site anymore. Sergio is off somewhere doing otherthings besides running a file server. When he is there hes doing other things for rest of the gaming files. Yea people who submit there work should make sure that it is finished and has no bugs before adding it to the site. Thats there own fault, not fully testing there work.

Sergio used to check the files.... he checked mine, and found there was a missing texture... oh well. that was a long time ago.

The reason pcgamemods.com gets more files up faster and has more in general is because they allow you to upload your files... i wish http://www.jk2files.com would allow this... its easier for the person submiting.

The reason pcgamemods.com gets more files up faster and has more in general is because they allow you to upload your files... i wish http://www.jk2files.com would allow this... its easier for the person submiting.

Exactly so, but the downside is that without moderation you also have a lot of (for lack of a better term) "crap" and mess (people posting the same file multiple times, misspellings/grammatical errors in descriptions, lack of screenshots or adequate descriptions, copy-cat mod stealing, uploading the wrong files or "broken" versions), etc.

Again, like I said, it's Quantity vs. Quality. In a very short time though, they're going to have the most quantity, but the least quality, if this keeps up. ; p

As to the server issues, I would expect a site with that much file activity (both uploading and downloading) is bound to have bandwidth problems and periodic downtime. It just depends on how good their servers are and how well they can handle the load. That's another reason why they should moderate the postings, to filter out the crap that may be slowing the site down for little added benefit.

The owner(s) of that site can run it how they choose, but it just seems like a more logical way to do things to me...

Well, i guess it used to be moderated, because like i said, they found 1 missing texture in my map, i didnt notice because it was on my computer, but not in the .pk3 file. He also took several screenshots for me... i was surprised that he took so many, i guess it depends on the size of the map, and whats in it...

Originally posted by Kurgan

Again, like I said, it's Quantity vs. Quality. In a very short time though, they're going to have the most quantity, but the least quality, if this keeps up. ; p

Wow, its been a while since I posted. Anyways, I've been going to PC game mods since the JO days and sadly to say that it has gone "down hill". By this it's like what Kurgan said. There are many more files now on the server but the quality of them aren't the best. In the begining, a file earned it's score because it was good. Now people rate low so their map, model, etc... is higher up on the rating list. Also with clan submissions, clan members just rate high because the person who made it is in their clan. One way to filter out the "good stuff" is to read the comments that people post about the map, mod, etc... Also look at some of the previous submissions from that author and the comments made. But, if you are feeling "lucky" download the file. It may turn out to be really good. Then you can write a comment on it and tell everyone else about it ;)

Archived