Home

Vehicle pack worth it?

Emon

I'm not sure the vehicle pack is a good idea anymore. I originally thought it was, but now I'm not sure. The original idea was to make a pack for mappers to use in their levels. Only trouble is that people would have to download (what would be come) a gigantic vehicle pack to play it, as opposed to just downloading a small PK3 that has a few vehicles in it. It only seems practical if every mapper's going to have tons of vehicles in their levels, which isn't going to happen. Most people will probably add just a few, and we'd be forcing people to download some large pack just to play it.

A counter argument is, "But if you have a lot of levels with vehicles, the extra space adds up!" And I really disagree. How many levels are going to have new vehicles? There are barely any JA levels as it is! Making a large pack is going to take a lot more space than just a few scattered throughout PK3s, and adds yet another hassle for the end users. Servers also have to get it, too. Servers as it is don't often run custom maps, making them install something else is only going to be discouraging.

I suggest that instead, we maintain a database on our site of vehicles. Descriptions, download mirrors, maybe even videos, if someone wants to make them. Seeing as how OJP is largely for developers, this make a lot of sense.

Originally posted by Emon

I suggest that instead, we maintain a database on our site of vehicles. Descriptions, download mirrors, maybe even videos, if someone wants to make them. Seeing as how OJP is largely for developers, this make a lot of sense.

That might be a good idea but we're going to need actual staff for the website that handle this stuff if we want to do that.

Since we don't even have the actual website ready for primetime yet, I don't think we should worry about it until we have that done.

Archived