Home

Sorry....but..need to....rant

Khier

Originally posted by Novelle Tion

I would say you dramatically overstate your own importance.

Perhaps. But every little bit helps!

And you sir, underestimate the true power of "moaning":amidala:

The main issue here is the composition of the community at large, which, at least as identified by many of these people, features a majority of bow-obsessed assclowns. Either your efforts are precise and/or massive enough to be linked in a seriess of events to reduction of these players in the overall community or they aren't.

Or to put it another way: Do or do not. There is no try. Reapeted messageboard moaning definitely falls in the later category.

So in other words, if you aren't 100% successful, any improvement in the situation is meaningless? And any effort to effect change is worthless "moaning" if it isn't immediately and massively successful? I'm glad I don't think that way, or I'd never be able to cope with the multiple failures that often precede success, or with the glacial but steady pace of human progress.

I say the glass is half-full. You say it's half-empty, which to you is the same as totally empty, since it isn't full.

I'd still rather fight the good fight, because the emails I receive and the spontaneous unsolicited comments that I read in my servers' logs tell me I am "doing" (making a difference).

My response to defeatists and sideline-sitters:

Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt

"In the battle of life, it is not the critic who counts; nor the one who points out how the strong person stumbled, or where the doer of a deed could have done better.

The credit belongs to the person who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who does actually strive to do deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion, spends oneself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at worst, if he or she fails, at least fails while daring greatly.

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TK8252MJL

I thought I'd contribute a story of my own...

This is a story about how some of you competetive players can be as bad as the honor players. The name of the player will not be revielded.

So this guy came in the JK3Files Server, and started playing the traditional style FFA, where you just attack everyone. I was the only admin in at the time. I started getting complaints of the player laming and chat killing. So I had to check it out. To my suprise, there he was... Laming me! So I showed my rule binds to him. Then some other player started to attack him and lured him away from me. So he has now seen the rules, so I expect him to obey them. I started to hear more complaints against him. I told him:

"we dont like to be attacked if our saber is turned off"

"Saber turned off = dont attack us! this is NOT a traditional FFA!"

He then responded by saying:

"Well I like to attack you and I dont acre about your gay code"

I put up my language rule bind. 'Gay' is not allowed there.

He then said:

"So I DONT CAYA"

"I DO WHAT I WANT"

So he has no respect for the rules or the people in it. So I used good ol' rcon.

The entire server cheered his kick.

Guys, please, respect the server rules.

wasn't a competitive player, thanks.

1. oldschool competitive saber only clans never play this game unless it is for a match. there are a total of two of those. these are the clans that would go around ****ing with honor nubs after they had started invading every server.

2. competitive gun clans only play on guns servers. there are 20 some of these clans.

***Wiping tears from his eyes, Astrotoy7 backs away from the shining prize that is online MP happiness***'

It is interesting to read all viewpoints, but the more I read, the sadder I get :( such consternation over what, a computer game..... :violin:

BTW, no one 'owns' anyone anymore, massa

Has anyone played the SP co-op mod yet ? I think we should pair an "honor dood" with a FFA Rambo, or anti-saberist, and let them use their respective strengths and weaknesses to vanquish foes !!

*takes off rose colored glasses* :p

MTFBWYA

Guest Novelle Tion
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

Perhaps. But every little bit helps!

And you sir, underestimate the true power of "moaning":amidala:

:confused: Do I? You mentioned earlier that one of these Raven Star Wars Quakes (I forget which) was your first online gaming experience. Is this also your first heavy involvement in a relatively large online gaming community? I'll tell you what. If you are still around in 3 years and the community of whatever ****pile LEC dumps on on us next is largely united in maturity and harmony, I'll concede 'defeat.' So knock yourself out.

So in other words, if you aren't 100% successful, any improvement in the situation is meaningless?

No. Your words not mine. Meaningless to little Timmy who gets brief reprieve from his abusive dad by playing a quick game in a friendly, stable server environment? Certainly not. Meaningless in the context of the larger task at hand? Yes.

My response to defeatists and sideline-sitters:

Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt

"In the battle of life, it is not the critic who counts; nor the one who points out how the strong person stumbled, or where the doer of a deed could have done better.

The credit belongs to the person who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who does actually strive to do deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion, spends oneself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at worst, if he or she fails, at least fails while daring greatly.

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

Two problems with applying this dramatic quote to your, erm, efforts:

1) I'm sure Teddy didn't have attempts to reform the online behavior of snot-nosed fanboy brats who already have the luxury of sitting around playing computer games on relatively expensive pieces of machinery in mind when he said a "worthy cause"

and

2) running a handful of well-maintained servers and bitching on internet message boards is far from "daring greatly"-part of my original point. If you are indeed serious about changing the face of the JA community as much as you can it's going to take more than determination and the hope that your small efforts will trigger wide-spread reform- it's going to take some serious ingenuity and vision. I think my time in the trenches allows me the ability to offer such advice.

Well I just called him "competetive" because he likes to actually fight. So what would have been the proper way to describe him?

Amidala is right. People who try to push their style of playing or rules on another server are just annoying. If people would use their brain, they'd learn which servers encourage their style of playing or with their rules and STAY THERE! Either that or just change how you play when you go to a different server with different rules (or no rules).

competitive players ladder. people who just fight are just regular joes playing the game like they should be.

i said oldschool competitive clans because right now the saber only ladders are populated by mostly honor nubs. there are only four clans on there that i can think of playing it seriously that aren't going to bitch and disconnect mid match. those being SL (hi dc ;)) NewReb (very nice guys they deserve every win they get, and moreso) ap, and of course my clan :)

Originally posted by Novelle Tion

I'll concede 'defeat.' So knock yourself out.

I have no interest in "defeating" you. You said:

"Why do you do this to yourselves? It seems almost masochistic at times. Inquisitive minds want to know."

I am merely doing my best to answer your question. We find it to be useful, and in our opinion our "moaning" is having a positive effect. That we are not successful enough to suit you will not stop us from trying to improve things as we see it. If these threads annoy you so much, simply avoid them in the future. Who is forcing you to read and respond to them?

No. Your words not mine. Meaningless to little Timmy who gets brief reprieve from his abusive dad by playing a quick game in a friendly, stable server environment? Certainly not. Meaningless in the context of the larger task at hand? Yes.

This is an excerpt from an email I received this morning:

"I want to be the first to tell you how gratefull and appreciative I am for your philosphy and your servers,..."

I receive many such emails. Yes, this is not success with "the larger task at hand", but a win is a win. Change is often incremental, rarely sweeping and massive.

And the "philosophy" this player appreciates was molded to a large extent by my fellow "moaners" on this forum.

Two problems with applying this dramatic quote to your, erm, efforts:

1) I'm sure Teddy didn't have attempts to reform the online behavior of snot-nosed fanboy brats who already have the luxury of sitting around playing computer games on relatively expensive pieces of machinery in mind when he said a "worthy cause"

and

2) running a handful of well-maintained servers and bitching on internet message boards is far from "daring greatly"-part of my original point. If you are indeed serious about changing the face of the JA community as much as you can it's going to take more than determination and the hope that your small efforts will trigger wide-spread reform- it's going to take some serious ingenuity and vision. I think my time in the trenches allows me the ability to offer such advice.

Wow, such bitterness and contempt towards your fellow gamers. I admit some of them really annoy me, but I don't hate them as you seem to. Maybe you've been "in the trenches" too long.

I'm sorry my choice of quotes, as apparently everything else I do, is inadequate in your eyes. I promise I'll do better next time. As for "daring greatly", as Einstein might say, it's all relative. My point with the quote is that some of us are at least trying (and in my opinion having some success) to improve the situation. Tell me, other than sitting on the sidelines and mocking our efforts, what are you doing to effect the sweeping, global improvements you require as proof of success?

Which is the bigger waste of time, "moaning" on a forum, or writing posts criticizing "moaning" on forums?

As you formulate your response, I will let you have the last word, because this is already becoming repetitive. When people come to my servers and bitch about things, my regulars have a ready reply: "Don't like it? Then leave". Then they continue on enjoying themselves. I offer the same advice: if these threads annoy you so much, skip them. As I pointed out, no one is forcing you to read them, much less respond to them. We will continue on without you.

Oh, and BTW, Happy Thanksgiving!:amidala:

Guest Novelle Tion

Feh. You cant doubt my motives or hazard guesses as to my intentions all you want. I offered my two cents, take it or leave it. Welcome to the internet. Good luck and enjoy.

Well I think Amidala is doing a bang up job, I applaud her.

Usually when I check Amidala's ctf/ffa server is at the top 5 of the list when you search by # of players and ping, to me that makes a good server. The atmoshpere is great there, it's diverse, know what I mean.

Beside's it's is the only server run by a female, therefore my favorite.

"I'd still rather fight the good fight," - Amidala.

and that you are mi-lady, don't stop, your doing a great job and it shows. (btw: Are you single? j/k ;))

How many other folks have that popular of servers' in JA and JO, or spend that much time and money to keep servers running for people to play on when they don't even play that much, thats dedication and just plain out coolness, imho.

The simple fact, (that appears to me), is that she is doing this for other people to enjoy the game and that's sweet, good job.

eniaC

*edit* btw: Happy Thanksgiving all

Originally posted by Dracofyre

Ahh yes, those honor loving smacktards of the JK MP universe. It is because of these guys, who love to bunch into groups and apparantly just talk to each other, that I am CONVICED that is why the saberstaff has a 360 degree hitting kata.

It is because of these "honor" freaks that JKO MP collapsed and the forum community died. It is also because of these guys that I still proudly bear my ASC tag, and will do all I can to make these honor morons cry and whine. If I get banned from the server, so much the better.

The minute you join the server you are a combatant. Saber off does NOT equal peace. Saber off DOES equal, you are a moron, here's a saber through your head. Same thing for in game chatting.

If you bow to me, I will DFA you. No questions asked. I see you lower your saber and do that crap and you will get a saber through your head.

When I join a server, I come to kill, and if you're within saber reach, then you are a target.

I can agree to that statement, It's a game get inthere and go for gold, instead of crouching infront of the other person expecting them to do the same.

Just got done playing TDM on Chop Shop Amidala. Heaping good fun--well done!

(has it really been two hours??? and not one single comment about being lame!)

I got a screenshot of an ENTIRE clan standing around chatting on a server. Chatting about how lame I was when I force pulled someone into a Vjun void. The loudest was, ironically, the biggest violator of his own rules--grip push into voids with his sabre down. Hows that for honor!

Feh, I thanked those who WOULD fight and left. All you can do.

So, gripping someone and then pushing them into the void, with saber off (the one doing the gripping), constitutes a huge breach of honor? That's what I thought. Because this has been done to me, I now agree with Dracofyre. If you are in an FFA server, and killing is going on, you might as well keep your saber up. I have no mercy on fools who stop mid-fight and saber down to go get armor and health, or think that keeping their saber off will get them one free hit with the blue lunge. D*mn that.

:uzi1:

Originally posted by Kurgan

(*cute witto sad Jawa voice*)

Wrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrwwwwwwwwwww!!! frown.gifjawa.gif

good effort at trying to lighten up this thread K

Too much testosterone in here though.....

**goes off to blast his pecs and quads, then play JA MP** :p

MTFBWYA

Um, excuse me?

**goes off to shave her legs again**

:amidala:

yes, testosterone makes the hair on your legs grow.

I'm sorry Amidala, I really didnt think you were a lady, I just thought you were perhaps an effeminate bloke or a big fan of Natalie Portman's character..... eg. in days of old my handle name was JadesDestiny...after Mara jade, my fave character in the SW universe.

Really, how do you put up with these *boys* You must have the patience of a saint, and the tolerance of a martyr.....

MTFBWYA

You'd be suprised. Two of my JK2 subadmins also are female (I admit, maybe a little affirmative action there to make a point, but both are better-than-average players) and there are several female regulars on my servers (hiya jen, Sinna, and Laney :) ).

There are going to be more females in this game simply because it's Star Wars (at least that's what attracted me to it). Except for No One Lives Forever (have 1 and 2, but have no time to play), I have no interest in other action games.

You'd be suprised. Two of my JK2 subadmins also are female.

.......I have no interest in other action games.

Yes, I am surprised , but that is just damn cool.....

Me neither, re 'action games', apart from elite force 1/2 occasionally(SP) I prefer sports games on consoles with friends(much more social), or RPGs... I am a Final Fantasy devotee.... dont mind Neverwinter, cant wait for KOTORs local release...

wow, Amidala, we have temporarily diffused the caged heat that was the 'rant' thread.....

:cool:

MTFWBYA

Originally posted by Rumor

wow amidala you just ****ing owned him...

I'm starting to get impatient. :( Could someone please tell me who gets to marry amidala? I mean, many of us have proposed during the last months, but...? I haven't got any answer yet, what about you guys? Rad? Is amidala already taken? What's going on? :confused:

Originally posted by Luc Solar

I'm starting to get impatient. :( Could someone please tell me who gets to marry amidala? I mean, many of us have proposed during the last months, but...? I haven't got any answer yet, what about you guys? Rad? Is amidala already taken? What's going on? :confused:

OK, here is what I look like the next morning with no makeup and after all that alcohol you drank has worn off. Are those offers still open boys? *bats eyelashes*

Archived