Home

galaxies jedi dueling (vs. JA jedi dueling)

lilJedi

did anyone see the video of jedis dueling in galaxy???? it looks awesome, the collision detection is so much better...it looks as if light sabers are actually...hitting. much better engine than the aging quake 3 engine. i wonder if another incarnation of jedi knight is to be released if it will use the doom 3 engine and if they will make for more things possible.

how the players moved looked fluid too. i find in jedi knight the character tends to make fast twitches ...but they have this engine modelled to reflect the physics of swinging and weight and stuff.

bump the sys requirements up to 1.7 ghz and done, who has <700 mghz anymore?

that is turn based? i thought all combat in sw galaxies was real time?

well heck, who knows then...but i think some braniac developer could do a better system of fps dueling for jedi knight series.

that combat if it is turn based looks even better than the one in kotor...the one in kotor, seen on videos didn't look as fluid to me, it looked near as twitchy and sudden as i was talking about.

come on seriously.....i have not played it, i have only seen screenshots and this jedi video thing. i have not really even read about it or followed it. im not interested in paying 15 a month to play this game. so i know nothing of it...so my above question still applies...

Originally posted by lilJedi

im getting kotor , is it really must play or is watching close up of characters talkingnot really that fun...

I'm playing KOTOR on PC, and it is a blast. The combat is point and click, but the battles are very cinematic. Definitely one of the best games I've played.

That being said, JA/JO is still the final word in Jedi FPS combat. Right now you won't find anything better than that (which is more than adequet IMO).

I just got KOTOR for the PC. Haven't started it yet, but the game is pseudo-turned based combat from what I have heard. the combat still lokks very fluid in KOTOR.

I did see the video for the Jedi duel from SWG. It looked great, I don't think it was turn based, combat happens in real time in SWG I thought. The only issues I have are the sabers. They look like the low-res sabers in Dark Forces. They really need to work on those.

did anyone see the video of jedis dueling in galaxy???? it looks awesome, the collision detection is so much better...it looks as if light sabers are actually...hitting. much better engine than the aging quake 3 engine. i wonder if another incarnation of jedi knight is to be released if it will use the doom 3 engine and if they will make for more things possible.

how the players moved looked fluid too. i find in jedi knight the character tends to make fast twitches ...but they have this engine modelled to reflect the physics of swinging and weight and stuff.

Now bringing you Star Wars Galaxies: MIRACLE BUILD!

(5 bucks goes to the person who knows where Miracle Build came from)

I believe swgalaxies.com has it.

Saw it. Pretty cool, looks like the duels in the classic trilogy (two guys stand there and swing at each other, rather than flipping and leaping all over the place like the prequels and JA!).

The only thing that was a little off was how one of the duelists kept "kicking" the blade of the other person (wouldn't their foot get burned off doing that? heh).

The question is how its controlled..... do you queue up moves in a "turn based" kind of thing like KOTOR or is it real time?

The thing about Galaxies (this may be good or bad to you), Jedi are VERY RARE. Not everyone who plays gets to be one. You have to play for awhile and eventually (if you're lucky) "unlock" a force sensitive character, which you can then build as a Jedi.

From what I read if you wait awhile Jedi will become more plentiful and it will be easier to be one. Of course if you want the thrill of "being one of the first" you'd have to be in it right now doing that stuff.

The monthly fee sucks, but when you think about it, having a persistent online world of thousands of players and frequent updates... well, it makes sense. Gotta pay for all that somehow.

The graphics for both games are great. I just won't be getting into SWG simply because I don't have the time needed to devote to a game like that (a MMORPG). If I did have it chances are I wouldn't play beyond my 30 day free trial. ; p

thanks kurgan. i'll have to swing by and pick that up some time.

personally, i think saber combat in JA won't be getting much better any time soon--more realistic combat would entail saber locks every 5 seconds, on which note, I haven't seen a single one ever in JA. I saw at least 1 a match in JO, but i haven't seen them in ANY regard. I suppose raven took them out because with two sabers, you can just take the other saber and dice your opponent up, lol.

any thoughts?

Yeah, Galaxies jedi are virtually nonexistant. You suppsoedly have to master 8 professions (you won't be told which 8) or something to be one. Then everone is supposed to hunt you down and all, but from what I hearm evryone just stands around watching the 133T J3D1s duel each other. :lol:

bump the sys requirements up to 1.7 ghz and done, who has <700 mghz anymore?

Uh... lots of ja players have less than 700 mhz (i can name 4 peope IRL), I have a T-Bird 1.4 ghz... that isn't a 1.7ghz and i'm one of the biggest and long-term fan of the jk series (df too) and I'm sure many bigger fans have lesser computers than me.

Ya can't just bump the system requirments up... there has to be a reason.. like graphical improvements (JK2 looks almost the same as ja therefore almsot the same requirments)

that is turn based? i thought all combat in sw galaxies was real time?

I really think turn based combat is poor and I would detest the sabre combat if it wasn't real time :p

that combat if it is turn based looks even better than the one in kotor...the one in kotor, seen on videos didn't look as fluid to me, it looked near as twitchy and sudden as i was talking about.

I agree but Galaxies saber combat looks to be nothing but.... LOOK BETTER, I'm sure it's not going to challenge KotoR or Ja's :p

personally, i think saber combat in JA won't be getting much better any time soon--more realistic combat would entail saber locks every 5 seconds, on which note, I haven't seen a single one ever in JA. I saw at least 1 a match in JO, but i haven't seen them in ANY regard.

Eh? I've seen lots, they're a lot quicker and bit more lethal than JK2 but they're definately in there :p In fact, in the server setup thingy, it asks if you want saber locks to be disabled.

Personally, I don't think the combat is so great in KotOR... I mean it works fine for what it is, an RPG - and it does look good... but it's all looks.

You want awesome duels in Jedi Outcast/Academy? Stop spamming katas, stop running in circles, use yellow stance, and instead of swoosh-swish-swoosh, make single, well timed swings.

I don't know what people are talking about when they say no saber locks in Academy. I get them all the damn time... in every alpha build of my map I spawn in tons of Reborn... and pretty much 1 out of 5 duels I get a lock. And if I don't run, and use just yellow stance (since I'm stuck with it w/o cheating since I have no player setup scripts yet), I get very interesting duels... even with the classic Reborn.

In Academy, the saber combat is much better from my experience; saber collisions, knockbacks, disarms. Have you checked out the "melee mod"? I mean, that does some awesome ****, and that's with just the extentionalized data availible without any SDK.

I have more than enough faith that people behind OJP and such can create fluid looking saber battles, while keeping it functional in a real-time environment; something "Galaxies" and KotOR doesn't do.

Besides... there's more to things than looks. Gameplay and function should always come before aesthetics. And in a fast pace real time F/TPS like Outcast/Academy, the saber systems work very well.

(Atleast in Single Player, I can't stand Outcast after 1.03 - and I don't play Academy MP because of that still)

Oh yeah, and whoever mentioned raised the base system requirements... your an idiot. The point of developing is to create effects that can work well on the largest base of consumer computers. When custom modders and mappers make their things "for better computers" then the base game, it mean's they don't have the skills to make things as efficient as they need to be.

Archived