Home

galaxies jedi dueling (vs. JA jedi dueling)

lilJedi

Originally posted by Prime

I'm playing KOTOR on PC, and it is a blast. The combat is point and click, but the battles are very cinematic. Definitely one of the best games I've played.

That being said, JA/JO is still the final word in Jedi FPS combat. Right now you won't find anything better than that (which is more than adequet IMO).

The unmatchable PRIME giving KOTOR a thumbs up is a great sign.... :) I cant wait to play this game when it is released locally in a cpl of weeks....

I look at it this way

I Love RPG

I like the way BioWare does RPG

I Love STAR WARS/EU

*all the ingredients are there for a fantastic game if you ask me* :D

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Kurgan

Don't expect miracles, but RazorAce over at the OJP is working on a new saber mod. Basically the idea of having really short saber locks with every swing or something, to make it "look more like the movies."

Will it work? Wait and see...

I recall a JO mod sounding very similar to the mod you are describing. I think it was called the "Movie Battles mod". The short saber blocking work surprisingly well.

i thought no one was replying to this anymore. i stopped gettin email notes. now i know why, someone in their wisdom decided to alter the topic.

anyhow, anyone having played galaxies and kotor, which combat system is more fun? or are they just very very similar with only minor nuances different?

i think if they mixed the saber combat of JK jedi Outcast with the acrobatics and graphics of Jedi Academy with the mmorg and role playing stuff of SWG they would have the ultimate gaming experience right there...that would be the absolute best game on the planet as far as i say. i absolutly hate kotor because its like final fanasies combat, turn based. i like being able to push my charactor to swing faster if i want him to and operate on reflex and what not. technique and skill. thats how i like to fight. not pick an attack then wait...thats so fake.

I recall a JO mod sounding very similar to the mod you are describing. I think it was called the "Movie Battles mod". The short saber blocking work surprisingly well.

...I'm glad someone noticed ;)

The micro-locks concept that Razor is planning should end up looking better and cleaner than the simpler 'short' locks I implemented in MB - but they still looked pretty authentic imo...

Don't expect miracles, but RazorAce over at the OJP is working on a new saber mod. Basically the idea of having really short saber locks with every swing or something, to make it "look more like the movies."

I think it's fair to say what's being planned for the OJP saber system is going to be a LOT more than just short saber locks!!

SWG is a hyped up piece of garbage. Who wants to pay $15 a MONTH on top of the game price, which is $50? Yippie two idiots stand there waving their uber leet glow sticks at each other pretending to fight. OOOOOOHHH I'm so impressed. At least in JA there's some feeling of a jedi duel.

I used to follow SWG like my dog when I'm holding a sandwich.

They said there was gonna be a huge battlefield and constant fighting over territories, there would be player cities and jedi at the release and a whole bunch of other crap (cough vehicles cough). You get in the game and what do you find?

No PVP, no one fights they all pay $15 a month to sit in a cantina and beg for credits.

"A constant battlefield, your friends dieing by your side in battle!"

What do you see? Oh no my friend just got killed by a rat! My comrades are dieing in battle! AAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

"The enemy will be constantly pursuing the jedi, they constantly have to be on the alert, anyone could be a bounty hunter working for the empire."

Yeah, and yet these two jedi are "fighting" in the open?

My advice: Get KOTOR it's about 6 million times better and is actually fun and cool. The lightsaber duels actually look like lightsaber duels. KOTOR is also turn based, but these devs actually put effort into their game and look how it turned out. SWG was rushed and look what happened.

The moral of the story: Never rush anything.

Originally posted by Blue_Lightsaber

KOTOR is also turn based

Actually, if you turn off all the pausing, it doesn't seem turn based at all. This sort of thing can easily be customized to each player's liking.

Originally posted by Blue_Lightsaber

The moral of the story: Never rush anything.

It sounds so easy, doesn't it. But it is not, believe me. We have contracts, shipping dates, deadlines that can all lead to rushed deliveries. If it was so easy to avoid, no one would do it. With good planning this can be limited, but it can still happen, especially with something as huge and complex as Galaxies.

Still, that game is not for me :)

Originally posted by Chuahtemoc

thanks kurgan. i'll have to swing by and pick that up some time.

personally, i think saber combat in JA won't be getting much better any time soon--more realistic combat would entail saber locks every 5 seconds, on which note, I haven't seen a single one ever in JA. I saw at least 1 a match in JO, but i haven't seen them in ANY regard. I suppose raven took them out because with two sabers, you can just take the other saber and dice your opponent up, lol.

any thoughts?

I have gotten into about 3 saber locks playing JA online. One was a real "button mashing" battle between me and another guy. This one was in a power duel server, and the other 2 were in FFA servers. Not sure how the admins had their server set up (with more chances to get a saber lock or not). And Each occurred in a different server. So they can happen

Oh yeah, and whoever mentioned raised the base system requirements... your an idiot

you need to get with the times son. don't whine because you have a 5 year old pentium 450 or some crap. people buying computers these days are not going to buy much less than at least 2.2ghz so you can raise the sys requirements, then people like you can either keep playing duke nukem, or you can upgrade.

when cd roms first came out and games for cd roms first released like wing commander, wing commander 3 sold millions of copies. Geist sold millions of copies...and cd rom drives were brand new.

PC game developers only hurt themselves when they release games on top of the line (or near top of the line) min system requirements.

Economically it makes sense to release a game with the lowest possible system specs in order to allow it to be played in a satisfactory manner by the largest number of computers possible.

If they figure the percentage of the market that has below a pentium 450 is really low (say only 10%) they are likely to go with higher system reqs in order to make the game they want to.

But all sorts of things limit them. Budget, time constraints, etc.

After all, a lot of games start development on top of the line, "way cool" engines and end up taking years to complete, at which time the "wow bang" factor has often been dramatically reduced.

Oh sure, you say, people always buy new computers/upgrade to make their games look better/play better right?

Well, to a point and it's still only a niche "hardcore elite gamer" market.

How many people can be bothered to buy a new computer every 9 months?

That is why consoles are so popular (far outstripping any other gaming medium), because the system specs are always the same! No compatability issues ever need happen. And the developers are forced to work with what they have, rather than letting high system requirements act as an escape clause for shoddy programming or driver support. Additionally of course consoles have the built in advantages of being exteremly low maintainence (no need to do reformats or software installs) and the hardware is much more affordable (in the hundreds rather than thousands of dollars for a complete system, plus since they aren't being constantly upgraded and made obsolete, they come down in price rather quickly). Consoles pick up the cost again with more expensive games (say 50-60$ and staying at that price for longer than a 20-40$ pc game that may drop in price in a few months) of course, but still.

We should give PC game developers credit, after all they work in a cutthroat market that has been shrinking to the behemoth of console gaming for quite some time. But to say that people just need to constantly upgrade is silly.

And there have always been games that despite top of the line hardware STILL have problems.

Hell, I remember just a month or so ago people with top of the line systems complaining endlessly about the choppy framerates they were getting with JA (using the antiquated Q3 engine no less). There's a lot to be said for proper product support, optimization, etc.

And anyway, we all know that graphics alone don't make a game. Look at all the pretty games that won awards for flashy visuals then were promptly forgotten.

It's sort of like movies. Movies get awards for special effects, but if they lack a good story and/or compelling characters, what is there to bring us back? Special Effects get outdated pretty quickly to these days...

Archived