Home

Basic Ideas: Levelshots

GothiX

First of all, I think you are referring to "screenshot", not "levelshot". "Screenshot" takes JPG quality images. As for .TGA images, there is already a command for taking Targa screenshots. It's "screenshot_tga" I think but I'm not positive.

Secondly, I recommend using Windows screen capture only, not the JK screen capture. I do this because the JK screen capture coloring will vary upon what your settings are, meaning if you turn the brightness down so that everything is dark & then take a screen capture via JK, the coloring will be dark as well where if you take a windows screen capture, the coloring is the same no matter what your in-game video settings are.

You can take a screen capture via Windows by pressing the "Print Screen" button. It's the same thing as copying everything on-screen; Just exit/window the game, then paste the picture in whatever graphics program you use. I use Adobe Photoshop myself.

Now this does create 1 disadvantage & that is you can only take 1 screenshot at a time where with taking screenshots via JK, you can take as many as you want & go get them all later.

If you are just doing some promo screenies or something like that, the screen capture via JK isn't a bad way to go but actual development stuff should ALWAYS be done via Windows screen capture only.

Uh, dude, printscreen will be no better. Infact, it'll probably be a lot, lot worse in quality. The reason you get differences in brightness is because the gamma settings are with hardware. Either find a program that can capture screenshots at that level, or just adjust it in a paint program.

try Fraps. Works great in more than one game, I myself used it for Splinter Cell. It can capture video, but you'll have to register the full version if you want to capture more than 15 seconds. The free version still works great though if you're only interested in screenshots.

I myself just use standard JA screenshots. I've never had any trouble with the gamma. I've never changed it either, so that might be why. Here's what I use for making screenies:

set screenie " cg_draw2D 0; wait 20; screenshot_tga silent; wait 20; cg_draw2D 1 "

bind o vstr screenie

But, to be more on topic. I don't think this needs to be added:). Now maybe if it was possible to actually fix the gamma problem people are having with screenshots then that would be a good fix.

Originally posted by Emon

Uh, dude, printscreen will be no better. Infact, it'll probably be a lot, lot worse in quality. The reason you get differences in brightness is because the gamma settings are with hardware. Either find a program that can capture screenshots at that level, or just adjust it in a paint program.

I have no clue why you would think that but the Windows capture is definitely better, I just ran a test.

The TGA via JK has 27,097 colors in it & the TGA via Windows has 28,015 colors in it. Now the Windows one does have the "Wrote Screenshot" message but there's no way you are going to get 918 colors off of that. The image was not moved in any way, shape, or form. Run your own tests if you would like more proof.

The Windows is much better. Looking at it you can't tell the difference but when you count the colors used, there's obviously more colors captured via Windows.

Originally posted by WhiteShdw

try Fraps. Works great in more than one game, I myself used it for Splinter Cell. It can capture video, but you'll have to register the full version if you want to capture more than 15 seconds. The free version still works great though if you're only interested in screenshots.

All he's looking to do is get some high quality screenies but that's good to know for motion video capture. I may try that out some day.

I myself just use standard JA screenshots. I've never had any trouble with the gamma. I've never changed it either, so that might be why. Here's what I use for making screenies:

set screenie " cg_draw2D 0; wait 20; screenshot_tga silent; wait 20; cg_draw2D 1 "

bind o vstr screenie

If you're doing alot of development work (like I am) & you switch computers & you get 2 different gamma settings, it can be a real downer to have your images look different.

As for cg_draw2d, I wrote my own aliasing to toggle it off & on via 1 button. You can put this in your autoexec.cfg file to be used everytime JK starts up or whatever, it goes like...

set 2d0 "set cg_draw2d 0; set 2d vstr 2d1"

set 2d1 "set cg_draw2d 1; set 2d vstr 2d0"

vstr 2d1

then bind a key to "vstr 2d". Whatever you bind that key to will be your toggle.

But, to be more on topic. I don't think this needs to be added:). Now maybe if it was possible to actually fix the gamma problem people are having with screenshots then that would be a good fix.

Even if you did, it still wouldn't be the same color amount so why bother. It's not that important IMO.

Before I get into these replies I just want to state that I re-did the last message a bit. I noticed WhiteShdw's post after I posted so I tried to edit it but I my PC crashed & so I took a shower then came back. I apologize for not posting right away but I was pissed off at the time & wanted to go do something else for a bit.

Anyways, on with the replies...

I'll have to try it then, but isn't it impossible to make multiple screenshots using printscreen. Whenever I use it I have to paste the actual screencapture in Photoshop. Making more than one would simply overwrite the previous capture wouldn't it?

Ya, it's the exact same concept as selecting everything on-screen & copying. You also CAN NOT do this in Windowed mode, the coloring isn't the same as full screen. It takes a bit longer to capture the screen, put the game in windowed mode, task swap over to Photoshop & paste, etc; etc. but the image is better quality & is worth it IMO.

I have a develop pack that I use for taking full model screenshots used in the avatar icons. The map I use is an all white map. When I take screenshots via JK, I can't select the white background (to be removed & replace it with my own custom one) without raising the color range. With the Windows capture, it works flawlessly. I can set the color range to 0 & it selects all of the white area.

FYI, I do plan on releasing the Develop pack to OJP sometime soon.

Originally posted by razorace

I'm confused. What is this "levelshot" command suppose to do?

He was thinking it was screenshot so it somewhat doesn't matter. I'm not sure what that the "levelshot" command does.

Originally posted by Marker0077

All he's looking to do is get some high quality screenies but that's good to know for motion video capture. I may try that out some day.[/i]

The standard version does high quality screenies. Actually it does them in the same way JA does. Just press a button and it will make a bitmap in a predefined directory of your specification. Make as many as you like, it will number them automatically. It will also do things like showing the FPS if you want. It's not much use in JA, because QIII has this feature built in, but in games like Splinter Cell and GTA Vice City it works great.

I have a develop pack that I use for taking full model screenshots used in the avatar icons. The map I use is an all white map. When I take screenshots via JK, I can't select the white background (to be removed & replace it with my own custom one) without raising the color range. With the Windows capture, it works flawlessly. I can set the color range to 0 & it selects all of the white area.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I did that too once, only with a green map. Basically the green screen/blue screen concept that they also use in movies. Didn't have any problems with selecting the model from my .tga's though. Didn't have a need to change the color range.

As for cg_draw2d, I wrote my own aliasing to toggle it off & on via 1 button. You can put this in your autoexec.cfg file to be used everytime JK starts up or whatever, it goes like...

set 2d0 "set cg_draw2d 0; set 2d vstr 2d1"

set 2d1 "set cg_draw2d 1; set 2d vstr 2d0"

vstr 2d1

then bind a key to "vstr 2d". Whatever you bind that key to will be your toggle.

So far the only time I turn of the hud is when I take a screenie, so that's why I put in there. But I'll keep your code in mind :). It could be handy in the future.

IThe TGA via JK has 27,097 colors in it & the TGA via Windows has 28,015 colors in it.

That's because JA is intelligent and only uses the colors that it needs. Every screenshot I've seen with printscreen has been crap. Just use the silent TGA, or JPEG, even, it'll save it with the highest quality possible, which is lossless at 100x zoom.

mmm, I always made levelshots with the method I posted before and then resizing them to 1024*1024 in photoshop. I'm not sure if there is supposed to be a seperate command for it.

mmm, now that i'm thinking of it, JK2 had something that saved a levelshot for every save game I think. Or maybe just quick saves. Then instead of seeing the original levelshot while loading, you just saw the one that was made at the point of saving. Maybe that's what that cvar is for. I can't remember JA using that method though. That would be a cool addition to JA.

Originally posted by Emon

That's because JA is intelligent and only uses the colors that it needs. Every screenshot I've seen with printscreen has been crap. Just use the silent TGA, or JPEG, even, it'll save it with the highest quality possible, which is lossless at 100x zoom.

If that's the case, then why does the white area in my white development map take up more than 1 color with JK & it doesn't with Windows? That makes no sense.

okay, the whole thing about not being able to select the white background on a 0 color range was for JPG screenies, so that was my bad - soz.

Still though, Windows screen capture is not crap. Emon is making the JK screen capture system sound like it's the best thing since Photoshop & while Windows screen capture is like using paint. There's barely any difference between the two at all & I don't think that the JK screen capture system should be put on some high pedestal. It's not that great.

Here's a pic using the whiteroom map. 1 is using the JK screen capture, the other is from using Win. See if you can tell the difference by looking at it.

http://members.cox.net/marker0077/wdd.zip

Ok, in JO atleast, typing levelshot in the console would make a 256x256 .tga file in the levelshots directory, under the name of "mapname.tga"

GothicX, maybe try devmap mapname first, then levelshot, then devmap mapname again?

I would try it, but don't wanna look for my Academy disc... I got KotOR in right now... I hate having to have CDs in the drives...

One thing I would like to know in Academy, however, is how to make it so your custom map doesn't have the whole briefing screen... I don't like it for linear sequence of levels.

But considering the only map that doesn't use it is yavin1 - which doesn't have a levelshot - it might be tied into the startgame ui script... and may not be availible for any ol' map. :(

Originally posted by idontlikegeorge

I would try it, but don't wanna look for my Academy disc... I got KotOR in right now... I hate having to have CDs in the drives...

Make a CD image of the CD & use DAEMon Tools to make a fake CD-ROM drive out of the CD image. I do that for JK3, JK2, & a few other games. You can have up to 4 fake CD-ROM drives at one time but even if you fill them up, switching is a snap.

Ok, in JO atleast, typing levelshot in the console would make a 256x256 .tga file in the levelshots directory, under the name of "mapname.tga"

GothicX, maybe try devmap mapname first, then levelshot, then devmap mapname again?

The moment you use the levelshot cvar, it takes you to your spawnpoint, and no levelshot is actually created.

aaah you're right. I forgot about that. I never used it though. I didn't like the quality. I prefer making a higher quality and higher resolution pic and then just resizing them to levelshot format.

Also I don't like to have the hud in a levelshot, so that's why i made that script is posted before.

Archived