Home

What can I do to improve pcgamemods?

Sergio-pcgs

Originally posted by Mike Windu

well having a big ass list isnt that much better, too MUCH overload you know

That's why there's are two tables for the 10 lastest staff picks and top 10 active mods.

what i thought u meant by combining things was to put all versions into one page, which would mean another section or something like that which is why i was disagreeing:p

It wouldn't be a seperate section, it would just store all the different versions of a file on the same page.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sergio, your site is great. I usually go there first when looking for a file, and if I have trouble finding it will go to the other sites. My suggestions to improve the site...

1. Ability to organize lists by downloads, ranking, author, etc.

2. Actual Staff ranking as well as Staff Picks, with the ranking added to the master list

3. Descriptions by author's require a minimum word length.

4. A "Staff Picks" list of the top authors

I tend to download a file from an unknown author based on it's description, the screenshots, the site's ranking (if there is one), and the number of times it's been downloaded. Though I love pcgamemods, it's difficult to decide on whether or not to try a file based on those criteria. If it's in the Staff Picks list it gets downloaded for sure... other than that, it's sort of a crap shoot. While I understand not requiring a screenshot, having authors submit a description with say 50 words minimum might help us get some clearer descriptions.

Thank You for offering this site to the community.

I love Pcgamemods.com, but i got some problems lately....

When I visit the homepage, I cant go to jedi academy or any other section... my computer says that the internet pages dont excist:(

Anyone know whats wrong?:(

pcgamemods and jk3files are two completely different sites with different layouts and amount of on hand staff. We attract different types of people too. Comparing the two would be like comparing Windows to Linux, both do the same thing but in different fashions. I have no doubt that jk3files gets more downloads than pcgamemods and in saying that I can also say that it doesn't really bother me since it's not what I am aiming for.

I will be doing the necessary modifications to the site as promised sometime this week.

Here's an idea, get rid of the power hungry deleting file managers and get people that you know that wont be that way. Also in the submitting file, why not just add the add screenshot there so we can go ahead and add the pictures we want then? One more thing, in the JA section add a Vehicle section and possible weapon section.

I'm sorry to say this but it seems whenever you get a big suggestion you give an excuse. A mod site shouldn't be for just a certain type of people it should be for the whole community. As for the whole screening dispute, just get reveiwers, after the mod is posted a reviewer can get to it, reveiw it, put up screenshots, all while the file is up. Put the authors description below the reveiwers description. And if it hasn't been reveiwed yet then people can just look at the authors description. Make a 10 word minimum on the author descriptions.

Reveiw system Proposal:

Modder posts file

File Goes Up for public download

Reveiwer takes a look at file

Posts screenshots if there aren't any premade ones

Posts 100 word minimum reveiw of file

This way people can get a second opinion on a mod. Besides not everybody can figure out the screenshot system, and some (IE ME) do not have cable/dsl modems, so uploading the file hurts connection speed enough, do they realy need to be forced to upload a few megs of screenshots too?

Make a menu on the right hand side of files recently posted

Give search engines more specific abilities like date, name, version, author, clan tag(for those looking for skins made by fellow clan members)

Make a forum with IB Board software(best free one available)

Put a donation link so people can donate money to the site makers to better the sites functions

Add more graphix to the interface as no graphix gets quite boring

Add a row in the file listing to indicate reveiwed and not reveiwed

Add smileys to the comment system

Put comments on the same page as the mod

Once you get 400 dollars in donations FIX THE DANG SCREENSHOTS SYTEM

I hope you take these ideas into deep consideration and don't just blow them off because they seem too hard too acomplish

Admiral you obviously haven't been following the site very much/at all. First of all you don't have to upload screenshots to submit a file, and I never said I was going to make it a requisite. Second, did you not notice the forums that have been up since last year on the site? Why would I need IB Board and nobody really uses the board anyway people who go to lucasforums.com don't want to double register so they can post something on a board that only 1000 people are registered to. Then you said the reviewers who review the finals, let me tell you something and I know I am going to insult some people, people aren't very compitent - in getting lots of reviewers I would eventually lose my track of them and then if someone had a problem with one of them I wouldn't really know that reviewer that well would I? I made a staff submission page before for if you wanted to be a staff member. 10% of the people actually wrote completely sentences that made sense aren't were dribble of "oh please please um I worked on a clan site and I like mods!!!" if you doubt me on that one I will show you the submissions that were sent in. I'm sorry but I like the staff members to be experienced modders who know what they are doing. I asked most of the ones I know and most of them had other agendas or simply could not allocate the time to dedicate to the site and I will simply not employ people who don't know what they are doing. I make excuses for the suggestions people give...well sorry but I see it differently, I don't care about catering to everybody and at one point I really wanted to make the site for the best of the best, to make it so that only 8-10 rated mods were hosted. I know it sounds elitest, arrogant and cocky but if you think about it wouldn't you go to a site in which you knew all the files there were being hosted were files that you knew you wanted to download? You wouldn't have to wad through clan skins and bad maps (yes I understand that not everybody starts out great and they need practice). But I don't think I will do that, at least not yet. More graphics - that I will simply object to, the site isn't there to be pretty, sorry graphics will simply take up more space that doesn't need to be taken up, it will also increase the bandwidth downloads. This is an archive of files it's not intended to tantalize your eyes, that's what the mods are for. Comments on the same page - you're not the first one to tell me that, I was considering doing it and I probably will but I am still uncertain I could just hold a poll..hmm. The search engine - I agree on this, I do need to change the headers so they all don't read "pcgamemods 2.0" I'll do that by the end of the day. Smilies on the comments board - I guess I could do that...never even thought it was necessary you're the first to tell me that. Donations - I don't really see how I would need donations the bandwidth is payed off (usually) by the ads but I could offer ad free browsing if you donate - but I am not sure that would really appeal to anybody. And this isn't a matter of sitting down and accomplishing it, it's a matter of where pcgamemods is on my tree of priorities, I usually have a lot of work to do, and I put priority on those before I even think of pcgamemods I'm on break right now so I am probably get to working most of these but even now I am still fairly busy.

Ok the entire thing I just read, is one gigantic excuse, I go to the site daily. I see a bunch of mods with poor descriptions and no screenshots. You'd better ask in better places for reveiwers. You didn't even read my comments either. Someone puts up file just like normal. When a reveiwer has time he takes a look at the mod and writes a 100 minimum word reveiw. You think your going to get the best of the best? no way, the best are too busy, so you are going to have to deal with the decent modders and reveiwers that apply. I want a second opinion on a mod before downloading.

You ask for what the people want and the people want reveiws and you just say no "No one is good enough"

I run a comercial game dev team and work on jka mods, I know what I'm talking about. I have to deal with hiring just good devs. Sometimes I get a few great ones but usualy it's just a decent one. The great ones are usualy too busy for another project.

Donations? Whats the point of Donations? Geez you complain about not having the money for this and that and then you say what do we need donations for?

JK3/2 Files will be my number 1 mod site until you whip yoursite into shape.

You have this view like I need to have 20 people on staff waiting for each mod that comes out so they can go and review a map the second it comes out. And sorry that I want some competant people on the site, rather than just trusting anybody who can submit a staff form. Also where are you getting this understanding that I need money all of the sudden especially $400? Oh because that would pay for the licensing to the java uploader so I can 'fix' it so that people can run it? Allow me to tell you that every single computer I have worked on, or been on I have been able to run that uploader. I have yet to have any problems with it, if anybody is having problems it's because they can't read simple instructions on how to install the java client. The site makes enough money to pay for bandwidth every month but it's certainly not making so much where I can throw out $400 on something as such, heck I probably wouldn't if I could anyway since it's a useless expenditure. Buying a license isn't going to increase a user's competancy. I'm not going to lose any sleep at night because Admiral Chemix is going to jk3files more than he is going to pcgamemods, I already told you we are two difference sites. One site (pcgamemods) accepts uploads immediately so the modder can get his file out as soon as possible, the other site (jk3files) is more centric to the staff where as you have to send them your files first and they can take screenshots if they will. I remember a time when I did that, I did a lot of screenshots and you have no idea how many or how long it takes to do so many. I guess that's where pcgamemods' instant submission falls, in the point that there isn't as much 'cleaning' up that we do rather than moderating. Here's a question for you Admiral - if modders themselves don't care about their mods enough to write good descriptions and take screenshots why should we have to do it for them? They obviously don't care enough to do it, so we shouldn't have to waste our time doing it for people who don't care to. We had a discussion about this, there's no reason for us to go out of our way to take screenshots for someone who is too lazy to do it themselves. From a user's point of view should you really download something from someone who didn't take the time to write out a good description or screenshot? It's very rare that a good mod comes out without a good description or screenshots, hell look at the staff picks to find out. Can you honestly sit there and type that we should have to do it regardless of staff amount? I said I would make the necessary changes to the site, even try to figure out a possible new screenshot system but one thing I won't do is cater to the lazy. Oh and again you'll say that this is one 'gigantic' excuse when in reality I am justifying what I should and should not do with my own site, I look at the log almost every day and I see the flux of visitors, some days it's up some days it's down but it's usually almost always up or the average amount so I know I am doing something right to keep visitors coming in. If you want me to get a larger staff so we can start cleaning up after the apathy of some modders then you really should stick with jk3files.com

dude, you need to change your attitude, right now all I'm seeing is laziness and down right anoyance at the thought of doing anything. Go out and find people. I'm not saying hire a bunch of idiots. I'm saying don't only look for the best people. They can reveiw files when they feel like it. atleast 5 a week per person. I didn't think you would feel bad about me not liking your site asmuch as jk3files. but hey I expected you to take a suggestion. You ask the people what they want and then you say no? What is the point of asking in the first place then if you don't want answers

my suggestions:

make a seprate section in jedi academy for vehicles, instead of just in player models.

2. allow any valid (as in a actual level or mod) level to be posted (even if it has objectionable material) just make a disclamer that says the it in no way represents your views or opinions. i beleve freedom of speech and expression is a must, even if we dont like it, it is a right.

I'm not even going to take into consideration what your saying because it's just so blatently stupid. I say something and you sit there and squander over misinterpreting everything that is said. I'll spell it out for you one more time because if there's anything I am getting annoyed with it's your ability, or lack there of, to comprehend what I am trying to say.

First of all, I don't want a large staff.

If I wanted a large staff I would have accepted a lot more submissions.

Second, I don't need a large staff.

I already said thist numerous times but I guess it wasn't sinking in. I don't need a large staff, I don't need people to babysit the modders, this isn't daycare if the modders can't make good descriptions and screenshots for themselves then what does that say about the modder?

I don't need people to review map files or skins, unless they are being given a critique for example like on jk2review, I think others will agree that when they want to download a file they'd rather see screenshots than someone's description of it.

Oh and once again do me the favor of sparing me the apathy trip that you are trying to send me on. I remember a time where I was the only site taking unique screenshots for every file that came in, I did this for over a year, single handidly so where do you get this notion that I am lazy? Because I have better things to do than scout for staff members I don't need?

This is stupid, our bickering is solving absolutely nothing. There's no way I will be able to convince you that I don't want new staff members. And you won't be able to say that I can improve upon the site itself without adding a larger staff to write reviews. You keep bringing this jealousy thing I have for jk3files when I really don't. It's like me saying to massassi.net, do this to get more people. Well they really don't want more people, they are simply catering to a certain group of developers. Which is exactly what I am doing, I am taking suggestions to appease those who already go to the site. Everything else people have said I have taken into consideration, I changed the headers so that search engines can pick up on the mods and I will be changing the sorting ability soon and I will definately be putting up icons on the list of mods that have screenshots or not. You said I should get more staff members, I tried to make an arguement , or excuse as according to you, about how I didn't need more staff members nor wanted more.

I talked to Chadrick, the current owner of jk3files and we had a discussion about this sort of thing. I have known Chadrick since I started jedioutcastmaps.com so long ago. His maps helped catapult pcgamemods into what it is today so I owe him a great deal and he also knows a lot about my site and in general running a site.We both agree that what people like about jk3files is the reviews and screenshots, and what people like about pcgamemods is the instant upload. We also talked about competition between the sites. He simply said the same thing I have been saying. There is no competition, we both aid the community in separate ways. When it comes to "downloads" they have way more than pcgamemods. They also have the entire filesnetwork backbone to support them.

I asked Chadrick about the amount of work he has to do seeing as he has a lot of staff members, and he gave me permission to quote him, since this was on an instant messaging protocol I will simply paraphrase what he said, if I what I say is incorrect at all I am sure he will make a comment about it. He simply said, that his managerial duties take up quite some time, he has to put in a lot of work into simply keeping all the reviewers in que with what they have to do. And like I said I can't allocate that amount of time to watch over staff members. This isn't an excuse Admiral it's a simple fact, I have priorities and this simply wouldn't be one of them. I could consider possibly having the currect staff members have reviewers under them who they manage but I am not sure they would be up for such a responsibility.

Frankly I am a bit insulted by your accusation of apathy against me. Especially after the amount of work I put into jedioutcastmaps and pcgamemods. Suddenly because I don't feel it's appropriate to watch over a group of reviewers, which in this case would be for more than one game too, I am lazy? I looked at your suggestion admiral and I simply feel it's not necessary to do. Like I said jk3files and pcgamemods cater to different groups of people, you obviously are in the jk3files group.

Originally posted by SD_Radical_Ed

my suggestions:

make a seprate section in jedi academy for vehicles, instead of just in player models.

2. allow any valid (as in a actual level or mod) level to be posted (even if it has objectionable material) just make a disclamer that says the it in no way represents your views or opinions. i beleve freedom of speech and expression is a must, even if we dont like it, it is a right.

Both are done, I just added a vehicles section and moved over the current vehicles to that section. I talked to the JA moderators last night, anything goes up but the developer should make a note of questionable material in his description.

Archived