Home

What can I do to improve pcgamemods?

Sergio-pcgs

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why am I the only one that seems to get grief for doing this? It's something that ALL the admins do... it's part of the site policy - I'm not doing anything outside of our policies.

The bottom line is that you can't make everybody happy... someone will always be upset with something you do or don't do.

Originally posted by Eldritch

Why am I the only one that seems to get grief for doing this? It's something that ALL the admins do... it's part of the site policy - I'm not doing anything outside of our policies.

The bottom line is that you can't make everybody happy... someone will always be upset with something you do or don't do.

Uh... dude no offense. But please speak english. I diden't understand a word you said. And when did this site policy come into effect? The old pcgm wasen't an anarchy before you came. Hey somebody even submitted a box and was allowed to keep it posted. What was it called. "king room" by jedi_master.

I think a lot of it is due to clans abusing the PCGM upload system. They're essentially using it for hosting all their clan-only maps, movies, and [bad] skins.

There are plenty of other sites that provide free webspace, I just wish some of them would use that instead of us.

I think a lot of it is due to clans abusing the PCGM upload system. They're essentially using it for hosting all their clan-only maps, movies, and [bad] skins.

There are plenty of other sites that provide free webspace, I just wish some of them would use that instead of us.

Eldritch. I'm going to be honest with you. Pcgm was never the place it used to be before you showed up. We liked it better when you where Sirus black. But when you went by the name of "Eldritch" and started taking over like Saddam did with an Iron fist People left. Alot of people so I say. Look at the forums. Ever since you came people fled. And no Many people can't afford webspace. And Pal. Don't make fun of movies there hard work. Lets see you make a movie WITH OUT SCRIPTING.

There is also the problem of people just wanting to see their stuff on the web and so don't wait until it is finished. There are so many betas and versions of stuff it clogs things up. Some people post the same thing multiple times with only minor changes. Why can't they just wait until it is finished before posting?

• 2 weeks later...

This has been bothering me for awhile, and if it keeps up I'll find someplace else to release my files.

The few oddball people who rate things either all 10's or all 1's just to skew the ratings.

Either track thier votes and disable their privelages when this happens, or get rid of the rating system and rely completely on user comments.

Originally posted by keshire

This has been bothering me for awhile, and if it keeps up I'll find someplace else to release my files.

The few oddball people who rate things either all 10's or all 1's just to skew the ratings.

Either track thier votes and disable their privelages when this happens, or get rid of the rating system and rely completely on user comments.

I couldn't agree more - I've seen the rating of my own files go from like 9 with 10 votes to 6 with 12, and other maps plummet from high 8s to low 6s with just one vote. There are one or two people I strongly suspect of giving every file a 1, as it seems to me that many of the files suddenly go down a lot in score. I'd love to be able to track these people and delete all their scores. Its very, very rare that 1 is a justifiable score, but because it is occasionally I guess you can't get rid of it.

Of less annoyance to me personally and I think less damage to the site overall, but still a pain, are the clan files that get 3 or 10s without any downloads, where blatently fellow clan members are lending a helping hand. I think the 1 thing is a lot more of a problem TBH.

The scoring system is very open to abuse - but then so is the comments section, and I was all for getting rid of that too at one point. But if you get rid of comments, scoring et al then you end up with a site that no one can participate in at all just because there are a few morons out there.

Man, I wish there was some kind of solution, but I have no idea outside of a lot more people moderating.

• 2 weeks later...

Casper you are an absolute moron,

"Uh... dude no offense. But please speak english."

Are you an idiot? Can you not read? Everything he wrote in that post was in English, oh wait you were saying that what he said didn't make sense in that case what Eldritch said is completely correct.

One cannot please everybody with a system such as pcgamemods, saying something as ignorant as "Pcgm was never the place it used to be before you showed up." that itself doesn't even make sense, honestly try to read that and make logical sense out of it. If anything has hurt pcgamemods it's your registration as a member to it Casper.

Spring break is coming up, which means I'll have time to make changes.

Originally posted by gokuSSJ4

Ofmg wtf the jedi academy page has shut down and can't be found, I thought it was just me but I asked a couple freind and they did not see **** just a couldn't find site ****.

OMFG what wil u do now?!1 N0w tht it iZ gon it wil n3v3r com back!!1one Oh n0! run!11!!1

Oh wait, I can access it just fine. I guess you and your friend better buy new computers quick!! Or you can just relax and wait for it to come back up... :)

I've said it before, but to improve pcgamemods, you have to prevent the crap descriptions and lack of screenshots. Here are the most recent three mods for JA right now (descriptions in their entirety):

ANGELS SKIN PIMP (clan skin)

Description: it is a skin that is pimpin

{HK} Clan Skin Pack (clan skin)

Description: This skin pack is to be used only by {HK} <----- LOL!

The AOD Academy (clan map)

Description: This Map was brought to you all by the mapers of [AOD] special thanks to darksun and will for there hard work this map is still a beta we hope you enjoy the map and may the force be with you all

I mean...come on. Can anyone tell me what these are? At least the ratings confirm that these are a waste.

goku - if you mean the JA section at PCGM, then its working fine for me right now. If thats not what you mean then I don't see why you're posting about it here?

Looking forward to that Sergio, very much!

Prime - I don't know what we can do about that, I mean some people just seem incapable of writing half decent descriptions or can't be bothered. It may be that they hardly speak English or in some cases a reflection of how little effort they put into the work - but if you look at the readmes they are written in the same style, if they bothered to include a readme at all.

Personally, I'd probabaly get some sick enjoyment out of removing every submission with a totally meaningless description, but that would be a *lot* of files and I'm sure we'd recieve tonnes of complaints.

Originally posted by Kengo

Prime - I don't know what we can do about that, I mean some people just seem incapable of writing half decent descriptions or can't be bothered. It may be that they hardly speak English or in some cases a reflection of how little effort they put into the work - but if you look at the readmes they are written in the same style, if they bothered to include a readme at all.

This issue has obviously become a pet peeve of mine :)

And after reading up to this point I was thinking exactly what you said next :D

Originally posted by Kengo

Personally, I'd probabaly get some sick enjoyment out of removing every submission with a totally meaningless description, but that would be a *lot* of files and I'm sure we'd recieve tonnes of complaints.

Don't forget to have a sign saying, "This mod was removed because the author was a dumbass."

Okay, that was mean, but why show curtiousy to modders by hosting their work when they don't show curtiousy to you by following instructions and making the effort to be helpful?

Anyone have some chill pills for me?

• 1 year later...

Archived