Home

What can I do to improve pcgamemods?

Sergio-pcgs

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, I personally like pcgamemods.com, there's very little i'd change about it.

I'm glad they don't have file reviewers, why should 1 person be able to say what's good or not. I prefer the pcgamemods comments instead, you get the opinions of many people. Though I do think some people submitting their files should offer up better descriptions of their mods.

And screenshots should be mandatory, maybe offer an alternative of posting screenshots using a standard file upload script. Php has many of those (I think)

Good Job Sergio, keep it up. :)

Manquesa,

First of all thanks for submitting your files to pcgamemods your vehicles are most impressive. As for the ftp php script, I contemplated this for a while, but for that to work what would happen is the following. First of all I think the problem doesn't really lie in the usage of the upload scripts but in Easy Thumbnail, for some reason some people just don't know how to use it regardless of the fact that we put up a simple tutorial. Also, a php ftp script would have to have the user browse to each image file individually and that could end up being a bit cumbersome. Then there would be the matter of having the server handle the resizing. As most of you know when you resize an image it is a bit CPU intensive, if more than one person is resizing images it could invariably overload the server causing it to crash. Here's the solution: make the php ftp script with queing. This could essentially solve the little screenshot problem that happens to be developing. Basically the user would upload the original images that they made for the mod. They would have to browse to each image file individually which wouldn't take that long, unless you had over 30 images. Then they would submit all the images, the images would go into a temporary folder, if someone else is already resizing something the user is placed into a que until that other resize job is finished. This could potentially elimate the clutter that could come out of 5 people trying to resize at once, and solve the problem for requiring screenshots. The reason I don't require screenshots is because not everybody can get this system to work, if I do this php ftp script it would work for everybody since the user wouldn't have any interaction, aside from submission, in the resizing process. Once this method is proved then I can allow for the requirement of screenshots for certain sections (skins, maps vehicles etc.). So yes Manquesa I think I will end up doing that, I figure it's best to have a method, regardless of how arduous it is, that works for everybody so there is no excuse.

Admiral: I'm sorry if you think I bit your head off, but I had to prove my point to you. You basically said at one point that I wasn't listening to your suggestion and I was, I just don't think restructuring pcgamemods is a viable solution, especially in regard to the amount of effort that would be needed to take on such a managerial position.

Originally posted by Mike Windu

i say we go back to the old way of listing the newest 10 :D that i loved

Go to a game page and look in the upper left of the screen for the drop-down menue titled "Listing:" and choose "detailed" from the list. That view shows the last 10 files to but submited to PCGM for that game page.

Ok I am going to make a section for Clans it will have subsections too what should the subsections be?

Don't know if you still need any ideas but you could have a link in the "Sectios" bar that read "Clan" and under that you could have it split into the different section but that might get messey. You could try makeing a Clan link in the "Sections" nav bar and once a user clicked it they could be taken to a new page. This page would still be like the JA Page but instead would have clan content on it. (click ffa and you get clan ffa maps)

That's just a suggestion and I hope I was able to help in some way ;)

LK

I've been using Pcgamemods since the old days of jedioutcastmaps.com (i think that's what it was called). I've very much enjoyed it so here's my Pros and Cons of your wonderful site.

Pros-

*Simple layout as opposed to jk3files

*Excellent download speed

*Well administrated comment/forum section

*Constant updates

Cons-

*No file reviews

*Lack of screenshots

Hope this helps!

you shoudl allow other than the author to post screens on a mod perhaps. well then if some1 misused it you would ahve to ban them ofcourse.

i dont know if it woulda wokr very well but it would maybe fix that no screenshots prob then the user screenshots can be in a separate section and stuff. i dont know =P

Good news to all, today at some point I will implement the clan sections and with them, the lovely little option for members to disable the the viewing of anything clan related. If someone tries to pass something clan related into something other than one of the clan sections, the moderators will clean it up :cool:

Vegeta - I have never heard of that problem...it could be with you...

hmm rally that clanscetions could also messs up some stuff pretty much there are these clan stuff that is liked aswell like darthzappas raceclub perhaps =P (well im not fully truatable on that lol as darthzappa is in my clan) well there are these stuff that is liked aswell it might be hindered to be discoeverd =P ah well ... ill not miss it cuz ill keep trhe clan stuff up =P as im a clan dude myself so ...

Bountyjedi,

I don't think putting clan stuff into its own section would keep it from being downloaded - it would just get it out of the way of everyone who doesn't want to see it. Having it in its own section will actually make it easier to find, since it won't be lumped in with all the other real maps / files (and honestly, who downloads these things other than clan members who know that they're there).

It will also make keeping the JA section clean and organized much easier for me.

=p ur kinda rihgt ya and really there is some stuff that gets dled by other ppl than hte ones in the clan for example raceclub again (lol cant get off it) its not specificcaly conencted wiht the caln its just anoterh jkr map for those who like that well it should wokr this way u convinced me =P

Oh I can tell you why you can't resume. Download accelerator, when it is looking to resume a file it looks at the download link that you originally used. The user has 5 minutes after he presses the download button to press the download link. The link will die in 5 minutes regardless of whether he clicks it or not. This is simply a measure I took to ensure that nobody could leech files off pcgamemods, and so far nobody has. When you try to resume with download accelerator it simply cannot connect to the link again because the link really isn't there. I'm sorry to say, but when I look at the priorities of saving money on bandwidth leeching in one hand, and allowing people to use download accelerator on another - saving bandwidth wins.

Then how exactly are you supposed to view the images? You have to resize at some point or else nobody can see the images. Unless they just go to a section called "screenshots" even then people want thumbnails to get the general idea of what they are looking at before they see it.

I have came up with a few ideas...

1) Yea thoe whole resizing thing is kinda takes up time. Isnt there someway where we the submitters just submit the pictures and have some html script let it be view at a certain size and let it be clicked on for regular size in another window?

2)Or perhaps get another person with the crew to just do screenshots. People sends in the screenshots, then they do what the need to with them so they can be viewed with the file?

3) Submit the files at normal size and just take away the thumbnails so ppl can just click a next or previous button to view them.

I know this to be a fact, if the file most of the time doesnt have a good description or screenshot, people wont download the file. Which that turns out to be the submitters own fault.

Archived