Home

What can I do to improve pcgamemods?

Sergio-pcgs

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well because I think Harry Potter is for children under 12 I gave Eldritchs map an 8/10. But now that I think about it its definately a 10/10. I think these maps should all be SW related but that's me. So if you've never seen H.P. films you would never know and be awed by the map anyhow. But I still don't get along with him, plain as that.

I still like pcgamemods because of the great upload/download speeds(amoung other things). However, I don't think there should be ANY comments whatsoever anywhere on any site. I think that the screenshots should speak for themselves and that the user rating should still be there. So all you have is the rating of the map and screenshots. The mapper wants to know why his map isn't great or doesn't have a good rating? That's what BETA testers are for and mapping forums. I think the comments section can get ugly and also take up a lot of valuble site space. I want to know why my map was deleted and/or not put up? That is what email is for. I know it's a pain for the editors at any site but I think it's a must instead of just leaving the person hanging.

So in conclusion I think it's a great site but screenshots really need to be up. If it's the AUTHORS fault there are no screenshots THEIR LOSS If the EDITORS have time to put in a screenshot.........THANK YOU

See, my map, Orbital Extreme (link), has had no negative feedback during beta, or in the comments, but it's rated a 7.88 anyhow. I'd like to know what I could do to improve, but if people don't tell me, just say the map rocks, then rate it a 7.88, that's a bit useless, no?

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by cey

I love Pcgamemods.com, but i got some problems lately....

When I visit the homepage, I cant go to jedi academy or any other section... my computer says that the internet pages dont excist:(

Anyone know whats wrong?:(

I have exactly the same problem, I recently got a new pc, things worked fine on my old one, but now I can't access any page other than home as my browser says the pages don't exist!!

Any ideas please??

:D

Originally posted by Darth Kaan

You guys that make a living trashing other peoples work in the review section should write some tutorials on the things you see being done wrong and help others learn (like Wedge and Desotros did). If not, your just being a self appointed expert, elitest and whiner.

Kaan, I've always respected your opinion but you seem to me a bit off the mark here. I don't understand what you mean by review section? If you mean the comments section, me and Eldritch don't have time to trash people's work, we can barely keep up with preventing mass riots on them as it is...

If you mean map-review, reviewing a map does not mean you are a self-appointed expert/elitist/whiner. Do the people who work for PC Gamer say they are the ultimate games producing team in the World? No, many don't have industry experience even. But they still rule at giving good reviews for the benefit of people who want to listen to them. That's at least what we try to do, sorry if we don't live up to your standards of this. I think our reviews are an awful lot more constructive than 99% of what you get in comments sections on any file site, which seems to mainly be "screenshots look cool, I will download it later. 14th post, woo!"

lauser - We do try to tell people why we took their files down by disabling them for a bit to leave the comments section open. Normally, authors just use this as a chance to go ballistic at us. Nice. If you send a file to any other file site and they don't put it up, you think they tell you the reason? They never do in my experience, though they should I guess.

I kinda almost agree with you about the comments section. They just seem to end up messy. Maybe its more trouble than its worth, it seems to me that a lot less than half the people who comment say anything worthwhile at all.

EDIT: Oh and Shade, I had that problem for a while myself. I know a few other people who have had it too. I have *no* idea why....you don't use Mozilla or anything non-Internet Explorer do you? Guess that could be it?

EDIT2: And finally, for anyone who wants to criticse how me and Eldritch do the file moderating (he's been on it a lot longer than me I know): I would be the first to admit I am not perfect at it, and I make some mistakes too. You are perfectly entitled to your opinions on us of course. But man, you should try it for a week. It may sound cool, but whatever you do, someone will hate you for it. You take a file off because its been ripped off, you will get abuse from the 'author' and his friends/multiple usernames. If you don't, everyone else will complain. If you try to stop people arguing/bickering/complaining in the comments section like a bunch of pre-teens (which they probabaly) are, you will just get all the abuse chucked at you. Whatever the hell you do, a load of people will get upset. It's like being a politician, without the bodyguards. So I'd really appreciate it if people tried to take that into account a little more.

Originally posted by lauser

However, I don't think there should be ANY comments whatsoever anywhere on any site. I think that the screenshots should speak for themselves and that the user rating should still be there. So all you have is the rating of the map and screenshots. [/b]

I love this idea. By and large the comments serve no purpose and are completely unhelpful. They are either, "it r0x0rz" or "it sux0rz". It gives the modder no feedback and doesn't help explain why the mod got a certain score. Hell, half the time the modder's description isn't any better with things like, "OMFG this iz my 1 map, plz be nice!!1!". I would gladly see the comments go.

But really, I think that a screenshot or two should be manditory (like massassi.net). I mean, how can you really tell anything about the map without it? You may get lucky and get a good description, or you might not and thus have no idea what the mod even is. If the process to submit screenshots is too complicated right now, I would say the effort would be worth it to make it easier.

Personally, I've gotten to the point where I don't download a mod because there is no screenshot. I used to take chances on highly rated maps, but more often than not it got a good rating because, "OMG it hsa roomz for my clanz!".

Jeez, this issue has obviously taken its toll on me...

Originally posted by Prime

Jeez, this issue has obviously taken its toll on me...

Join the infirmary! I mean club...No, right first time :)

I have to throw my vote behind Lauser's suggestion with you, people have shown that on the whole, the comments are pointless. I think in all honesty you see the exact same thing at JK2Files, even with comments moderators to moderate out the worst of it, and (to a lesser extent) Massassi. Similarly, I feel tempted to request we just utterly ignore any file that has a moronic description from the author. Honestly, if they can't be bothered to spend more than 30 seconds on the description, how much effort did they really put into the file?

I think the description should still be kept for those of us that actualy add one and helps people decide whether or not they want to download the mod. The description really helps those mods that can't really have any screens taken of them Like a sound mod or something else that might be too diffiult to take a screenshot of.

I have also gotten the habbit of not downloading a file without screens but that means I rarely download anything anymore as it doesn't have screens to show it off or the screens it has shows how poor the actual work is.

Also, on the comments ( I belive i saw this mentioned somewhere before) I think we should keep those as *some* people still give "constructive" critisism and *some* people may actualy use it to help produce better mods in the future.

Originally posted by Lil Killa

I think the description should still be kept for those of us that actualy add one and helps people decide whether or not they want to download the mod. The description really helps those mods that can't really have any screens taken of them Like a sound mod or something else that might be too diffiult to take a screenshot of.

I have also gotten the habbit of not downloading a file without screens but that means I rarely download anything anymore as it doesn't have screens to show it off or the screens it has shows how poor the actual work is.

Also, on the comments ( I belive i saw this mentioned somewhere before) I think we should keep those as *some* people still give "constructive" critisism and *some* people may actualy use it to help produce better mods in the future.

Sounds good.

Well for one the site has become a total anarchy. BTR (Beware of the Rancor) was moved to the clan maps section. <- That wasen't a clan map.I dunno alot of people have left the forums are dead. I like PCGM the way it used to be not the trash it is today. Like the cheats list. I could have used that. Joesolo's terrain PFB. It helped me with my dathomir map. And all mentioned where either deleted, or disabled. And that is not right. I don't think eldritch is doing a very good job. Rerember when he first started there was no new files for 4 weeks.

I think you're just trying to stir trouble for someone you don't like - the first four weeks Eldritch was there he was, as I remember, moving and his computer was heavily delayed in shipping - so there was nothing he could do about that.

As you are banned from PCGM due to an attack on the site before my time, I doubt you are too involved in the regular goings on there anyway. Unless of course you found a way around the ban? Wouldn't be the first time.

Oh great now where starting a nerd fight. Yes I have found away around the ban. And yes I Download off pcgamemods So I have a say like every body else thank you. But no like Alot of people Eldritch tends to think he's special. And no I stated my point pretty well. about those files. Good proof. And No I'm not trying to stir trouble Sergio wanted to know how to improve the crazyness at PCGM. I'm just giving suggestions. Now rerember Mate in America we have freedom of speech. No matter what the persons crimes in the past where. Okay?

the upload system is great, i had the opertunity to try it out a few days ago, screenshots took a little while, because i had to retake them in 1028X768 (i think) well.. it was a higher resolution :) but not that long. I know eldritch saw my file pretty fast. Im not sure what time it got up, but i think he saw it maybe 10-20 mins later. I really like the upload it yourself system, its so much faster, and i dont have to wait for someone to download and upload it for me, or follow there email instructions.

Originally posted by Kengo

What the hell is a nerd fight??

Someone banned 5 times from LF makes a comment there about how poorly a file site he was banned from is run. You have some nerve, and apparently no sense of irony. Whatever.

You never heard of a nerd fight? Damn you must be illiterate. (oops oops sorry did I say that?) Oh well. Okay kengo What I'am doing is called a comeback. AKA something you make after being knocked down. And whats so Ironic about me posting here?

{EDIT} I got rid of the old geiser in my ad He looked like he has been drinking too much Bloody Mary.

Kengo, leave him.

Also, LukeSkywalker1, yeah, PCGM moderators are very fast when it comes to checking out files - many kudo's for that. Also, 97% of the time they're doing their job right, so the instances where something goes wrong are rare - I don't see that as being much of a problem, since it's mostly beeing rectified later.

Originally posted by Casper

Well for one the site has become a total anarchy. BTR (Beware of the Rancor) was moved to the clan maps section. <- That wasen't a clan map.I dunno alot of people have left the forums are dead. I like PCGM the way it used to be not the trash it is today. Like the cheats list. I could have used that. Joesolo's terrain PFB. It helped me with my dathomir map. And all mentioned where either deleted, or disabled. And that is not right. I don't think eldritch is doing a very good job. Rerember when he first started there was no new files for 4 weeks.

Let me rephrase my point.

Originally posted by GothiX

Also, LukeSkywalker1, yeah, PCGM moderators are very fast when it comes to checking out files - many kudo's for that. Also, 97% of the time they're doing their job right, so the instances where something goes wrong are rare - I don't see that as being much of a problem, since it's mostly beeing rectified later.

I think it's mostly because we have quite a few people that alert us whenever they see something is amiss. The kudos shouldn't go entirely to us, but all the people that help us out and act as our eyes and ears, because we can't be everywhere at once (however hard we might try).

Originally posted by Eldritch

I think it's mostly because we have quite a few people that alert us whenever they see something is amiss. The kudos shouldn't go entirely to us, but all the people that help us out and act as our eyes and ears, because we can't be everywhere at once (however hard we might try).

Indeed. Some people even took the time to contact the author of an original file in a few cases and they they then let us know they had not given permission for their work to be used/ripped off. It's good to know there are people on the comments section of PCGM and in the wider community who actually get as fed up with people stealing work and credit as we do!

Archived