Home

Want hardcore JA game play? (xmod2)

FK | unnamed

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

William you just hit the nail right on the head and don't even know it.

Outcast had one key factor that base Academy does not:

Players who **** up and don't think before they execute an attack, have nothing to fear in Academy.

In Outcast if you did a DFA you sure as hell better be 200% positive it's going to connect, because if you just "let one rip" you are in for one hell of a nasty kick in the back side (to be followed up by even more damaging follow up moves is you fall).

And let's be honest for a second, all I ever saw in any and all saber only servers was people mindlessly letting Katas and roll+stabs fly and rejoicing when they connected with a solid object that was not a wall.

So you have to think now before you hop around and twirl your saber all over the place?

Well, to reclaim a phrase so many of you tried to take from us….

Learn and adapt.

Learn and adapt.

;)

Learn and adapt? Bull****. The last thing I would do is run around slashing crazy -- which you are claiming I do. And I was not the one getting kicked away. You can even kick away butterflies and all, and butterflies are not something they just spammed, but if I wouldn't have kicked him away while he was doing it, I would have died.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Master William

Learn and adapt? Bull****. The last thing I would do is run around slashing crazy -- which you are claiming I do. And I was not the one getting kicked away. You can even kick away butterflies and all, and butterflies are not something they just spammed, but if I wouldn't have kicked him away while he was doing it, I would have died.

So what's your point? You don't like having kick as a counter to the butterfly?

Weren't many people complaining about how butterfly doesn't have a counter besides for trying to completely avoid it? Kicking out of the way is the penalty for butterflying like crazy, much like DFAing like crazy was for JK2. It's not always guaranteed that a butterfly would be kicked out of the way automattically, it's all reflexes.

Hey here's a strategy. Score a knockdown with kick and then use butterfly as they're getting up with the new JA getups so they jump right into you.

This hasn't been tested but I assume it probably would work. Try it out next time.

Well, IMO the ''counter'' is too easy to use on any type of attack. A spin, a butterfly, anything can be just kicked away. So now, everything has a counter, or I must be wrong.

If you kick someone when they're in the middle of a saber swing straight up in front of them, you will get hit by the saber. You gotta sort of go around them to kick them. Same with butterfly. If you kick from right in front of them and their saber hits you while you're trying to pull off a kick, you will take some damage, if not die.

Anyways, this is only a mod and if you don't like it, you don't have to play. It's more aimed at the FF crowd.

william, u can still do things with a saber to kill someone on kick. I"ve been killed in xmod when trying to pull someone who was swinging. So if you can tell they will pull when you swing they take a risk sometimes also. Also, many players can use red and time their swings so that someone in a kick lands in their swings (aka crow and reborn). I mean this all may be useless in ctf, but it can help in ffa (which is what i think you play) and duels

Originally posted by g//plaZma

Weren't many people complaining about how butterfly doesn't have a counter besides for trying to completely avoid it?

Okay, so the solution is to add yet another move that virtually has no counter and can be spammed to death?

Sorry, not trying to take anything away from you s/o ff ctf flipkick fans, but I prefer to keep my Star Wars & Kung Fu separate.

Too many bad memories of people using nothing but flipkicks in JK2... the saber became irrelevant. Not my cup of tea.

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

Okay, so the solution is to add yet another move that virtually has no counter and can be spammed to death?

Wrong, as Kynes stated, you can easily kill a kicker by timing a red swing as he jumps forward to kick you. It takes time to perfectly master this and I've only seen a few people in JK2 who were able to do it. Crow and Reborn included. Besides that method, there are always the JA get-ups. You have a chance of rolling to the side and returning the favor ;) never press back/forward when on the ground though. That just makes it easier for whoever is kicking you.

Sorry, not trying to take anything away from you s/o ff ctf flipkick fans, but I prefer to keep my Star Wars & Kung Fu separate.

No one's forcing you to play the mod, or enable flipkicks if you're a server admin running the mod. If you don't like the idea of kicking in starwars, that's fine.

Anyways, I'm more of an ff dueler than ff s/o ctf player and the main reason why kicks were so important in my gametype was that they were chainable with other things and doing sick force combos with kick was just a blast.

Too many bad memories of people using nothing but flipkicks in JK2... the saber became irrelevant. Not my cup of tea.

That's your choice, and a valid one.

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

I agree to 100%.

Originally posted by fk | screed

umm, no. Kick was put back in b/c its the most affective way to set your opponant up for a finishing move.

RIGHT HERE! HERE IT IS! This shows perfectly well how it is on an fk server. The ONLY thing they do is kick, kick, and dfa (along with a FEW OCASSIONAL things of course too). Without kick, its a balanced game, and the fk can't handle balanced. But now I have a new comp. :D and I can kick (could not kick before with 3 fps), so watch out you mother ****ing kick whores! :D

There are ****ing cvars for ****s sake and the website doesnt say FOR ELITE CTF COMMUNITY only or anything like that. If you have a suggestion, you tell Hex. If he thinks it's good, he'll put it in. Simple as that.

But =X= PREFERS having pull throw OFF because they think it's a cheap way to return the flag. =X= = CLAN = PART OF "ELITE COMMUNITY". And since it is THEIR server they turn it OFF.

BTW, PART OF DOES NOT EQUAL IS

The people I heard complaining about the "good old days" being gone were the guys from the FK forums. =X= was only ever mentioned as being the "saviors" who were making xmod2 for JA, that would fix everything for Sabers Only CTF.

There's a little history between FK and =X=. I'd prefer not talking about it here.

BTW, becaue I had a bad comp. before and I'm not skilled in the art of whoring the front flip kick move, I too agree that the front flip kick should be taken out.

BTW, I'm not a noob or anything, and the front flip kick wasn't taken out, if you put the game in the debug mode you can use the front flip kick just like in JK2. So, this isn't really anything specail that was added through the xmod.

Originally posted by MasterSidious

RIGHT HERE! HERE IT IS! This shows perfectly well how it is on an fk server. The ONLY thing they do is kick, kick, and dfa (along with a FEW OCASSIONAL things of course too). Without kick, its a balanced game, and the fk can't handle balanced. But now I have a new comp. :D and I can kick (could not kick before with 3 fps), so watch out you mother ****ing kick whores! :D

You almost made a post that actually had a point without using profanity....

A few things...

1-New version of the mod is out; side kicks are now back in.

Talk about some damn good mod support huh?

;)

2-No counter for Kicks? Wrong. How do you counter heavy swings? You anticipate and move out of the damn way. Try putting some thought into your game before you start whining people.

3-Kurgan, about FK and =X= and the competitive community.

In the competitive CTF community you had (in Outcast) two sides, those who played base JK2 like FK and had no problems or issues with the pull+ throw combo, and then you had =X= and those who viewed the combo as an exploit. And yes in the past, FK and =X= were not always on what one would call the best of terms.

Now *personally I don't how anyone can argue the combo is an exploit because it functions on the same principal as pull+kicking:

You use the push/pull power to quickly stun an opponent by throwing them into the "block animation" then proceed with a follow up attack (like a kick or saber throw).

Now some will try and argue that pull+ kicking is different because you are drawing the opponent towards you and not stunning him, but the last time I checked, absorb users don't slide, level 3 push/pull users don't slide... they go into the stun animation.

And those who would argue that the longer range makes it an exploit, all I have to say is, if you can't anticipate and side roll a pull+throw from outside of say, 6-8 "feet" away... you have a lot of "training to do".

The reason I see =X= not liking pull+throws is obvious:

It's the one major weakness the Absorb power has.

An Absorb user can be pull+throwed to death in just a matter of seconds because he will constantly go into the "block animation" due to the way the power functions.

Now you look at the most common power used by flag carriers in CTF... yep absorb.

See the connection now?

But regardless, those are my *personal opinions.

The fact still remains that I have a tremendous amount of respect for Hex and the mod he's bringing us.

And the main reason for that is not just the game play changes, it's because he's not *forcing changes upon people.

Don't think pull+throws are an exploit?

You have the option to leave it on or off.

It's all up to you.

Same goes for kicks or whatever other changes he makes, he lets the user (server admin) decide for him/her self.

/edit

4-MasterSidious, please take your medication before getting on the computer.

;)

What the hell is up with MasterSidious? Most of his posts contain profanity in like every sentence. Are you 12 or something? Using profanity in all your posts does not make you look cool. It just makes you look preteen and immature. It is possible to convey your messages (whether they have a point or not) to people without using "f*ck," "sh*t", "a$$," "b*tch," etc. and they will understand you.

Anyway, William and the rest of you, besides kaia, since he posted his personal preference instead of saying that this mod shouldn't include kick...

This is a mod and no one is forcing you to play. This mod will just un-nerf (or simply change) things that the competitive community feels fit to change. Otherwise, there won't be any competition in JA ff s/o-wise and the competitive guys would just go play other games. We like this game but just feel some things need improvements. It would be a total waste if we didn't do anything about it.

So please... leave this thread if you don't have anything to contribute. Saying stuff like "I don't like kick, it should be removed from this mod cuz ppl spam it & then I die. /amcry." That's not much appreciated since the whole point of this mod was to un-nerf the game for the competitive ff s/o players and players who just liked kick, not to please everyone.

This is a mod and no one is forcing you to play. This mod will just un-nerf (or simply change) things that the competitive community feels fit to change. Otherwise, there won't be any competition in JA ff s/o-wise and the competitive guys would just go play other games. We like this game but just feel some things need improvements. It would be a total waste if we didn't do anything about it.

Better yet, someone write this on multiple pieces of paper and pass me the nailgun. I think it's time to staple this message to some foreheads.

Originally posted by SpecialForces

lol, fk's couldnt play JA without kick...

fk's back to kick whoring again :)

Its not that we couldnt play, its that it was a total BORE when we did play it. You go onto your server list and look for a Full Force Saber Only Duel server, yep thats right NONE. Now that we have this mod out, I for one have ordered a server and it will be Full Force, Saber Only, Duel. Hope to see you huys there.

Archived