Home

Want hardcore JA game play? (xmod2)

FK | unnamed

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by acdcfanbill

well most pubs shouldnt care about no force for specials, as bout every server i visit has regen of 0. today in my xmod server a dude asked how to do emotes.... i almost cried :(

That's true but xmod is more geared towards ladder play.

Greetings all.... I have released 2.1.0 of xmod today to a number of JA related sites. It's not available on them all yet, however, it is always available at the xmod2 website.

Bookmark: http://xmod2.cat5camp.com

(until the dns is working) http://www.cat5camp.com/xmod2/

There is also a large list of features and much more located on the site. Have fun and feel free to keep the suggestions/comments rolling in.

Thanks for the heads up, oddly when I try /x it spits out an unknown command message... There must be something wrong with my installation. I'm using the Linux version by the way.

Also, not sure if anyone has noticed it (Probably so) but there is a missing help page on the mod website. The page missing is:

http://www.cat5camp.com/xmod2/help_usrcmd.html

Could people please give me their opinions about the following gameplay options that xMod 2.1 provides (in other words, how would you configure your server. And let's assume this is for non-ladder but still high-level play). The choices follow the cvar and are separated by commas:

flipkick - disable, enable (duh)

pullthrow- enable, disable, use of Push\Pull when throwing your saber causes it to return

use of Protect and Absorb simultaneously- disable, enable

Mindtrick- level 3 only affects those in your area, affects everyone on the map

Push and Pull knocked over players- disable, enable

Absorb and Grip- being gripped with Absorb on gives no Force to gripee, gives 50 Force points to gripee (one being gripped)

NOW THINK ABOUT THIS NEXT ONE CAREFULLY:

gripsaber- being gripped lowers your saber, doesn't lower your saber

kick_protect- Protect doesn't reduce kick damage, does reduce kick damage

AGAIN, CONSIDER THIS NEXT ONE CAREFULLY:

line_of_sight_grip- can only hold grip when victim is in line of sight (JA-style), can hold grip even when victim not in line of sight (JK2-style, like moving gripee so there is a pillar or column between gripper and gripee so gripee can't Push gripper away).

In 1000 words or less, please provide explanations for your choices Thank you.

Alright, the page should be 100% now. As for the /x you need to supply a command as I have not yet added a usage description inside the game. I'll throw that into the 2.2 release when it's all done ;)

For upcomming fixes just troll our forum... I am always talking to people there regarding new features, etc.

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

1v1 me in either a JA =X= mod server or a base Jedi Outcast server some time.

You will see why in a matter of seconds.

I'm not trying to pick on you or make fun of you, but I really would like for you to see how "the other half" plays this game when the "kid gloves" are taken off.

Oh, I've seen how you play. I tried playing with plazma (no offense pal, but our JA challenge is not even finished yet ;)) and basically all the duels consisted of was kicking, there was no way to even touch him with the saber. He and rumor just kicked and kicked all day long, and I know why they like the Xmod, I can't blame em for wanting a piece of JK2 in the quite unbalanced JA.

We could play the game with sabers though, but no kicks for me. I rule at single saber in JA, so I should be fine. Please don't tell me you live in Canada or USA. What I mean is:

Example:

(JSK)Nexus (me) Ping: 80

fk | unnamed Ping: 150

Try reversing the pings, and you'll see what I mean. Distance is a pain in the ass, and the game will be unbalanced for either you or me, a ping over 100 gets you in lag kills. But if you want to play with a high ping, sure.

I know how you play, but I wouldn't call your playing style ''elite'' or "hardcore". I know how the community plays, me and my trusty single saber know that.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

flipkick - enable, disable (duh)

Enable. Makes for higher paced gameplay.

pullthrow- enable, disable, use of Push\Pull when throwing your saber causes it to return

Enable. Giving players more options is always a plus.

use of Protect and Absorb simultaneously- enable, disable

Well I haven't played with this option on but I assume it won't hurt so why not? Here's the force combos Raven promised but never said they'd be limited to SP.

Affects everyone on the map... Lets you actually sneak around with it on and doesn't limit you to just your area.

Push and Pull knocked over players- enable, disable

Enable. This may sound a little sadistic but I love throwing people I just kicked off of ledges or pulling them in for some more pain ;)

Absorb and Grip- being gripped with Absorb gives no Force to gripee, gives 50 Force points to gripee (one being gripped)

Personally, I don't see the point of this as it totally takes the whole point of grip out of the game unless the option below is set to being gripped drops your saber.

gripsaber- being gripped drops your saber, doesn't drop your saber

Doesn't drop your saber. If you were being gripped, would the first thought that comes to your head be "hmmm... lets drop my saber?" yeah, that's my point...

Does reduce kick damage, it reduces everything else, so why not kick?

line_of_sight_grip- can only hold grip when victim is in line of sight (JA-style), can hold grip even when victim not in line of sight (like moving gripee so there is a pillar or column between gripper and gripee so gripee can't Push gripper away).

I'd like to see it JO style because well seriously, why would an object in the way stop a fully trained jedi from gripping someone? Plus, it just increases the fun factor. Think of how much fun people would have gripping someone and then sneaking behind a corner till they die. The possibilities are endless...

Hope this helped.

Originally posted by g//plaZma

Doesn't drop your saber. If you were being gripped, would the first thought that comes to your head be "hmmm... lets drop my saber?" yeah, that's my point...

Thanks plaZma!

Now the only reason I wondered about the grip-saber off thing is for servers that have g_debugmelee enabled (like mine). People who opt for melee and have no saber can use Grip to make someone turn off their saber, otherwise they are dead meat. It enables this combo for melee fighters:

1. Double-damage two-fisted Lightning to soften them up

2. Drain to lower their Force so they can't Push out of Grip

3. Quickly Grip, causing the victim to lower their saber so you can get in close

4. Once in close do melee kata for headlock, body punches or knee to face, then throw

5. Finish off with fists or lightning

Granted that only applies to people doing melee, but without Grip turning off the saber, that combo is suicide.

Also, with saber still on, people can (as you know):

1. Use Absorb, or Grip the gripper

2. Push

3. Throw saber

4. Shoot weapon

That's a lot of counters for one move. Does making Grip turn off the saber improve the balance by removing saber throw as an option?

hello to all morons out there:

kick has always taken force to do but you did not actually have to have force to do it. it just kept it down when you had 0. but when you have more it takes 5-10 i think (haven't played jk2 or ja in forever) but it DOES cost force.

Originally posted by Master William

Oh, I've seen how you play. I tried playing with plazma (no offense pal, but our JA challenge is not even finished yet ;)) and basically all the duels consisted of was kicking, there was no way to even touch him with the saber. He and rumor just kicked and kicked all day long, and I know why they like the Xmod, I can't blame em for wanting a piece of JK2 in the quite unbalanced JA.

We could play the game with sabers though, but no kicks for me. I rule at single saber in JA, so I should be fine. Please don't tell me you live in Canada or USA. What I mean is:

Example:

(JSK)Nexus (me) Ping: 80

fk | unnamed Ping: 150

Try reversing the pings, and you'll see what I mean. Distance is a pain in the ass, and the game will be unbalanced for either you or me, a ping over 100 gets you in lag kills. But if you want to play with a high ping, sure.

I know how you play, but I wouldn't call your playing style ''elite'' or "hardcore". I know how the community plays, me and my trusty single saber know that.

1. i had a 300-400 ping

2. neither i nor plazma are anywhere near on uj's level

3. neither i nor plazma had played the game in the recent month(s)

4. just because you do not know how to use the saber in full force duels doesn't mean its useless, just look at crow and quite a few other players.

5. dude no offense but you aren't really any good. with the **** that i was putting out any vet would tear me to pieces in a heartbeat, just like that one guy that came along and raped me.

6. we kicked, and griphid the entire time just to piss you off.

7. if you wish to flame us do it on our clan boards. you wont get banned, edited, or anything, but you can flame us to your hearts content (and ofc we'll respond).

Thanks plaZma!

Now the only reason I wondered about the grip-saber off thing is for servers that have g_debugmelee enabled (like mine). People who opt for melee and have no saber can use Grip to make someone turn off their saber, otherwise they are dead meat. It enables this combo for melee fighters:

1. Double-damage two-fisted Lightning to soften them up

2. Drain to lower their Force so they can't Push out of Grip

3. Quickly Grip, causing the victim to lower their saber so you can get in close

4. Once in close do melee kata for headlock, body punches or knee to face, then throw

5. Finish off with fists or lightning

Granted that only applies to people doing melee, but without Grip turning off the saber, that combo is suicide.

Also, with saber still on, people can (as you know):

1. Use Absorb

2. Push

3. Throw saber

4. Shoot weapon

5. Grip the gripper

That's a lot of counters for one move. Does making Grip turn off the saber improve the balance by removing saber throw as an option?

hmm. with kicks they can now punch, kick, gk and a bunch of other things. just imagine that in duels haha.

This is, I suppose, are opinions from a less competative gamer. Since you are asking about high-level players, perhaps I do not apply, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. I hope that you won't be changing all your servers to Xmod, as I am very fond of your increased saber damage servers. :)

flipkick - disable, enable (duh)

Personally, I don't really want kicks to once again become the defacto move of everybody. But it seems that there are a variety of ways to do this (requires force or something?), and having the new JA "knock down" moves helps.

I'd rather not see these back. I just think throw is effective enough without giving it an "automatic" hit.

use of Protect and Absorb simultaneously- disable, enable

Should be able to. More options. Although it gives more protection, it also drains force faster, so there are drawbacks.

Hmm. Affecting everyone might be kind of neat. It would certainly teach people to put points in Force seeing.

Push and Pull knocked over players- disable, enable

I don't think it should happen every time, but more knockdowns would be a welcome change. I'd rather see this much more commom and leave kicks out. Would that work? Perhaps absorb wouldn't complete prevent you from being knocked down, but just reduce the likelyhood.

Absorb and Grip- being gripped with Absorb on gives no Force to gripee, gives 50 Force points to gripee (one being gripped)

Either way. perhaps it just down't lower the force pool of the gripee, but also doesn't raise it?

Not dropped. The saber is automatically lowered. That is probably enough.

Yep. Helps protect against all physical damage moves.

line_of_sight_grip- can only hold grip when victim is in line of sight (JA-style), can hold grip even when victim not in line of sight (JK2-style, like moving gripee so there is a pillar or column between gripper and gripee so gripee can't Push gripper away).

I don't tend to use the darkside, so I won't comment.

:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not dropped. The saber is automatically lowered. That is probably enough.

Hehe, This is just a misswording of documentation. 0 - Saber retracts when gripped.. 1 - Saber does not retract...

Originally posted by Prime

This is, I suppose, are opinions from a less competative gamer. Since you are asking about high-level players, perhaps I do not apply, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. I hope that you won't be changing all your servers to Xmod, as I am very fond of your increased saber damage servers. :)

Thanks Prime!

Just because you don't play on ladders doesn't mean your play isn't high-level;) I don't run a competition\clan\ladder-type server, so I am interested in input from all good and experienced players, such as yourself, whether they play in organized competition or not.

I am planning on running xMod 2.1 on both servers (actually one has it already, the other will today), but that is why I am seeking input from good players so I can configure it to most people's liking, realizing I can't please everyone. I don't think beginners will notice or care about a lot of this stuff and will just play as they normally do.

Just because you don't play on ladders doesn't mean your play isn't high-level;) I don't run a competition\clan\ladder-type server, so I am interested in input from all good and experienced players, such as yourself, whether they play in organized competition or not.

Thanks for the compliment :) I wouldn't say I necessarily play at a high level, but I did come first on your increased saber damage FFA aerver last night!

Not much I know, but it made me happy. :D

From the latest Xmod (2.1.0 win32) readme:

Bug/Erroneous Cvars:

x_jawa_model

0 - Disables the use of the jawa model

1 - Enables the use of the jawa model

x_menu_model

0 - Enables the use of the menu models (model menu/kyle; menu/luke)

1 - Disables the use of the menu models

x_wookie_model

0 - Enables the use of the wookie model

1 - Disables the use of the wookie model

I'm confused as to why these are necessary in 1.01 (which flags the menu models as cheats), could somebody explain?

How does this "ehance gameplay" or make it more competative?

And why doesn't Xmod consider adopting the features of this mod if the Jawa is still a "problem" for them in team games?

http://pcgamemods.com/2363/

Description: this makes the jawa skin avaible in multiplayer without typing in console. i also included botsuport and ctf colors enjoy.

Now what's wrong with the Chewbacca model? LoL...

On a more positive note, I don't see any reference to abusive admin commands (and I even checked the forum sticky with the "list of commands" and saw none).

If they've been removed, kudos to the team!

Btw, the link http://xmod2.cat5camp.com/ is down, at least when I tried it.

Archived