Home

Want hardcore JA game play? (xmod2)

FK | unnamed

it was not in any patches Kurgan, she is remembering it from a mod she must have played.

In 1.02 absorb had the blue glow on all the time if I recall.

I'm not sure if the use/cost ratio got changed when 1.03 came out, but other than the glow, I don't think any changes were made to it.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay thanks Unnamed. I honestly never played 1.03. I was taking more time for school when it came out, and by the time I played again 1.04 was out.

Yeah, JA absorb improves on what we saw in JK2, by giving you the glow but only on your end, until somebody force blasts you with it on. ; )

Originally posted by Kurgan

It would be nice to hear what Hex and the others reasoning is for putting in abusive admin functions like this. Why are they "necessary"?

Or are they just catering to the whines of those who want such "features" (so they can abuse them of course)?

I can see it happening now:

Clan Match:

Welcome Clan X!

Welcome Clan Y!

Clan member X: You lamed me!

Clan member Y: You cheated!

Admin: Slaps, sleeps, slays and teleports everyone until they all disconnect.

Can you say F-U-N? ; p

Not sure why the commands are there to be honest with you.

The =X= server is a very "family" oriented server, hence the profanity filter.

I can see a use for muting people but as for the rest, well I have no clue.

I've never seen any admins on =X= use any of the admin commands beyond kicking. both in Outcast and Academy so I'm not sure why they are there either.

I've never seen any admins on =X= use any of the admin commands beyond kicking. both in Outcast and Academy so I'm not sure why they are there either.

Yeah, and the only people who can really answer the question of why they are there are the =X= guy(s) working on the mod itself.

And that's a very good point. If the abuse prone features are not used by real competative players (their target demographic), they're not needed, and if they're not needed, why are they included?

That's like giving the Official at a Track & Field event a fully loaded AK-47 Assault Rifle.

All that does is make sure if he ever goes nuts he'll be able to kill a lot more people than if he just had his starter pistol with blanks (which is all he really needs to start the race).

The Xmod forums are coming up for me just fine Kurgan, there may be some oddities going on with your ISP or the like...

Is it just me, or does the whole admin mod / anti admin mod discussions remind anyone of the classic anti gun / pro gun discussion? Right down to the "Admin mods don't hurt people, people hurt people!" statements. :)

Although it doesn't much matter to me since I've since clearly stated to my administrators that anyone caught using these commands in my server will get kicked out. I absolutely feel for the people who just got around to buying the game joining up the wrong server and getting the slap treatment. Regarding that point, I completely agree with you.

Unfortunately Master Hex has already stated that he will not be removing these commands from the game, this was a direct response to you on the Xmod forums by the way, though you probably haven't been able to catch it...

Instead of debating whether admin mods with commands prone to abuse are right or wrong, why don't we discuss possible resolutions to the problem at hand instead? It seems rallying together and getting the mod authors to remove the commands is too late now since those 3 mods you mentioned have been released and the abusers would probably embrace those versions instead of updated ones with the commands removed...

The Xmod forums are coming up for me just fine Kurgan, there may be some oddities going on with your ISP or the like...

I haven't had much luck with them, I only got in in time to register and post once. Dunno...

Although it doesn't much matter to me since I've since clearly stated to my administrators that anyone caught using these commands in my server will get kicked out. I absolutely feel for the people who just got around to buying the game joining up the wrong server and getting the slap treatment. Regarding that point, I completely agree with you.

Good on you man!

Unfortunately Master Hex has already stated that he will not be removing these commands from the game, this was a direct response to you on the Xmod forums by the way, though you probably haven't been able to catch it...

Are you serious?? That's rich. So instead of explaining himself, he takes a petty "Oh, well since you complained, I will do the opposite of what you say to spite you" childish attitude.

Great, well he can't try to blame ME for something he did himself, and if that is his only reason for using them (ie: Kurgan complained), then... =)

The forum thread was titled "critics corner." I guess if he can't take a little criticism, maybe that thread should have been deleted long before it came my turn to offer my 2 cents.

Instead of debating whether admin mods with commands prone to abuse are right or wrong, why don't we discuss possible resolutions to the problem at hand instead?

I can think of two right off hand:

1) Remove abusive commands from admin mods.

Barring that,

2) Boycott abusive admin mods (like Xmod2, OmniMod, and JA+) until they remove such commands. Server Admins and players alike should refuse to support them.

Hey, it might sound unfair, but if the reason they included those commands in the first place was to appease people's desires, it'd only be fair play to do so when people don't want those commands anymore.

It seems rallying together and getting the mod authors to remove the commands is too late now since those 3 mods you mentioned have been released and the abusers would probably embrace those versions instead of updated ones with the commands removed..

Perhaps, but the gesture by the author says a lot, and if people want the new features, they'll have to go with the new version (and without the source they can't just undue what the author did).

At this point I'm tempted to say everybody should use Jedi Academy mod as an alternative, since it takes the high road these other Admin Mod authors refuse. Now if JA Reloaded would just remove "sleep" it would be perfect.

I'll do my best to answer the question...

The reason why I kept these commands in xmod2 are simple:

I keep freeze in there because it's the best way to stop someone who fails to stop for a few seconds to speak with an admin. All too many times we get new players who zone out chat and play. Even centerscreen messages they are confused by and just continue what they are doing. It's not until they are frozen do they begin to ask why, oblivious to what the admin had been saying.

As for kill, slap, sleep, etc.. I only keep them in there because on occasion during practices our clan members sit back and nuke, trip, slap each other for the sake of having a little fun. I in no way agree admins should be using these powers to torment their players.

I don't agree, however, that it is my responsibility to govern how server admins run their servers by removing abusive admin commands. This is the server admins own personal choice to abuse such commands and consequently their players will eventually revolt and leave their server if they behave in this manor.

You will rarely see me remove anything from the mod short of cvaring it as an option. There is no way to make both sides of the spectrum happy so I find the best way to do it is keep everyone's options open. You as a player have the option to disconnect right when you are first hit with an admin command. I never remove this ability from the player.

If a server admin, like myself, is willing to spend money on a server and on bandwidth then they should have complete control over the system that they are running. This also includes the freedom to run xmod, choose to abuse its commands, or not run xmod at all.

Originally back in my JO days I created xmod as a personal mod only to be used on xctf. It started with a simple suicide fix and now it's grown into a public gameplay/admin mod. I never had the idea that it would have grown this large over the year I've been working on it. Thanks everyone for your input on it's features.. I take every response to heart and regardless of what others think I keep them all, at least, in the back of my mind as I work on the project.

Originally posted by =X=Master HeX

I keep freeze in there because it's the best way to stop someone who fails to stop for a few seconds to speak with an admin. All too many times we get new players who zone out chat and play. Even centerscreen messages they are confused by and just continue what they are doing. It's not until they are frozen do they begin to ask why, oblivious to what the admin had been saying.

I can understand your reasoning on this one, and that's probably why Jedi Academy mod also retains "sleep." Personally I can see this easily being abused though. Freeze somebody you don't like then leave them there, or cuss them out, etc.

As for kill, slap, sleep, etc.. I only keep them in there because on occasion during practices our clan members sit back and nuke, trip, slap each other for the sake of having a little fun. I in no way agree admins should be using these powers to torment their players.

Ah, so they are for "messing around." Makes sense. Sort of like a "cheats server."

But since there's no distinction between a "amLame" and a "non amLame" server, it's like having cheats in the game all the time that can be used on a whim. That is the problem.

Plus it gives abusive admins the tools they want to abuse people on their server they don't like or to let their friends "cheat" (ie: hand out sub admin positions to your teammates, then slap the other team to death).

I don't agree, however, that it is my responsibility to govern how server admins run their servers by removing abusive admin commands.

Here's where you're wrong. It IS your responsiblity because it's your mod. Let's say I make a mod that is overwise wonderful, but I give the admin the ability to at the touch of a button kill every player on the map other than himself.

Then I say "well it's not my fault if people abuse it."

That's BS. Why don't you do this... put all the "amLame" commands into a seperate "mode" that requires a restart, that is clearly labeled as such "Mess Around Chaos Mode!" Or something (sort of like "CHEATS ARE ENABLED!"). That way you could use the commands to mess around as you wish, but not let them be abused by admins who are sore losers are who just like to bully people.

This is the server admins own personal choice to abuse such commands and consequently their players will eventually revolt and leave their server if they behave in this manor.

Yes, but they can't abuse the commands unless you give them those abilities, and that's what you're doing. You're handing the daycare workers a basket of hand grenades & bayonets and saying with a wink "don't do anyting I wouldn't do!"

That just doesn't work.

You will rarely see me remove anything from the mod short of cvaring it as an option. There is no way to make both sides of the spectrum happy so I find the best way to do it is keep everyone's options open. You as a player have the option to disconnect right when you are first hit with an admin command. I never remove this ability from the player.

How about you put the "amLame" (slap, slay, teleport, sleep, etc) commands into their own seperate "mode" that requires a map restart and puts up a warning (much like how devmap sets CHEATS ARE ENABLED!). This would allow the amLame people to use their commands if they want to, without interfering with people who just want to play the game, and it wouldn't give admins the temptation to abuse those commands mid-game.

My server is like this already. If we want to "mess around" we switch to cheats mode and we use cheats to our heart's content. Nobody joining is fooled into thinking it's a none cheats server and gets upset. Then once we're tired of spawning Mutant Rancors and Jet Packing around in God Mode, we switch off cheats and play normal.

You could do the same thing with Xmod2! It'd be great again!

It doesn't have to be such a black & white issue of having amLame commands or not having them at all, if you really want to.

If a server admin, like myself, is willing to spend money on a server and on bandwidth then they should have complete control over the system that they are running. This also includes the freedom to run xmod, choose to abuse its commands, or not run xmod at all.

Sure, but you take responsibility for the damage you do to the community by giving easy access to abusive admin commands.

I too run a server and I know what it's like to put up with the problems and joys of it. I've never needed to kill a player or make them unable to move. I too am "old school" going back to the early days of the original Jedi Knight. I never made an admin mod and I never saw the need for them to have abusive commands, but that's where we disagree.

Still, I think we can reach a mutually beneficial (for the entire community) resolution if you're willing to keep an open mind:

If I ever desired to "mess around" I could just enable cheats.

See, I think you've just assumed that you have to have it one way, there are other options man!

Yes, you can run whatever mods you want, but you're making a mod that doesn't differentiate between cheats and legit play. Thus the majority of people are going to (human nature) use the cheats whenver they want to, not just to mess around like responsible people on your server do.

Originally back in my JO days I created xmod as a personal mod only to be used on xctf. It started with a simple suicide fix and now it's grown into a public gameplay/admin mod. I never had the idea that it would have grown this large over the year I've been working on it. Thanks everyone for your input on it's features.. I take every response to heart and regardless of what others think I keep them all, at least, in the back of my mind as I work on the project. [/b]

No offense, but maybe the amLame commands should have stayed in your personal mod and not gone into the public one?

What you've done is opened a Pandora's Box on the community (you wouldn't be the first). Every Admin mod maker thinks that they have to ape all of the amLame commands, but they don't seem to realize the damage this does to the community.

It spreads like a cancer through the ranks of admins. Only after all the mayhem they caused in JK2 are people finally starting to take a stand against them.

See, that's the thing, if you honestly take feedback to heart, please consider what I said.

That would totally salvage your reputation in my mind, and in the minds of everyone who (rightly) sees the problem with admin mod abuse.

Seperate the amLame commands into a "cheats" type mode, and keep everything else (say minus sleep or freeze, since you say that's absolutely necessary.. call it a compromise) for the "legit" default mode.

amLameMode 0 (default)

amLameMode 1 (enables use of amslap, amslay, amsleep, etc); on map restart

Then you could also set it to individually allow each of the different "am" commands like slap, etc.

You could make it so only admins/subadmins could use them or you could even make it so that everyone could use them (like in a cheats server).

And in that mode you could STILL make it so that the admin has ultimate power (ie: the only one who can "wake" anybody). Or you could make it more balanced, like it was a real game mode... say make sleep/freeze only last 20 seconds or something, or slap does less damage. Perhaps "slay" would only work on people you could see and aim at.

The Admin would retain functions like banning and kicking like always, so that wouldn't be a problem.

--------------------------------------------------

In fact, that's a feature a TON of people have wanted for a long time... the ability to use cheats, but to limit what cheats you can use (ie: no god mode, time delay between spawning npc's, etc).

SELECTIVE CHEATS IN CHEAT MODE IS A DESIRED FEATURE!

As it is now, Xmod2 (like JA+ and OmniMod) mixes cheats in with regular gameplay (and gives it to an "elite" rather than to everyone). That's a big mistake.

People love to fly around with Jetpacks and shoot Mutant Rancors with their Concussion Rifles or Staff duel on Taun Tauns. It's fun!

But if they're playing coop or actually trying to make it challenging (despite the cheats) they have to put up with people using God Mode or spawning too much and crashing the server or lagging it to hell.

So this could be greatly expanded, without tarnishing the whole experience making each Admin into a schoolyard bully with his fingers around every player's throat.

Originally posted by Rad Blackrose

Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get the hell over it because you obviously don't know about swing timings, pull stunning, PTK anticipation, Absorb, etc.

When they say go play Crow, they're serious. Crow is one of the few people I know in JKII/JA that can scare the **** out of anyone who spams kicks. Just when you think you landed that 18 point damage move without a hitch, BAM. Connected overhead strong swing. Bet those 18 points were worth it.

Try grip kicking unnamed. Just try it. 9 times out of ten, you will immediately be PTKed.

So go call the waaaaaahmbulance, because you had your ass handed to you because rather then picking up on the manuevers that worked and getting better at them, you decided to pick up the red ball and go home to your mother crying.

You prove our points to the T about how the community and lack of information/desire to learn operates.

So here's a nice cup of STFU to sit down to.

And on the subject of grip/saber turn off, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that abuses it and perhaps wants to see it go due to the elimination of a counter... But the LOS restrictions need to go.

What you need to do is to shut your little ''CRY MORE'' mouth and accept peoples opinions, opportunity flamer. People like you need to read rules, you obviously registered here just to flame as much people as possible. Heck, my heart skips a few beats when I see you have posted something, because I know it's a big offensive flame.

And no, I don't play JK2, I play JA. As said, JA is my main target for practicing, JK2 is way forgotten now. There is a difference between having a SABER duel and having a kung-fu-grip duel.

Or are you referring to XMOD in JA? Well, I don't play that, I play the base JA. So if you want a challenge, make it base JA, not Xmod. It is in fact different, you train skills in Xmod, and I at the base game. If we play base, I will probably win, if we play Xmod, you will probably win. Xmod is JK2, and I'm here to play JA. No offense to the creator of Xmod, but I prefer normal JA, and it is my target. Perhaps Space Mod when it comes out, we all know it looks like great fun.

That's about it. I prefer playing with any force powers, and with a saber. Normal JA. No JK2 kicks or similar. Perhaps mods that enables multiple duels and restore HP at the beginning of duels, those are really good mods.

Please, try to refrain from flaming. I'm even scared of posting my opinion at times, because I know somebody will flame the heck out of me just because they have nothing else to do.

I agree the comands are not needed, however we're not talking about commands that any player can use. In fact subadmin's commands can totally be enabled and disabled via cvar. If an admins doesn't wish for his/her other admins to abuse commands then why not disable kill etc for them? Rcon is a tricky thing.. in reality there are already many ways to tourment your players, ie kick, change gravity, turn off saber dmg, etc etc...

But anyhow, I said I'll listen to the community and if they want a version of xmod without specific rcon commands like this I will set up a poll on our forums:

http://x.fragism.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451

Originally posted by Master William

What you need to do is to shut your little ''CRY MORE'' mouth and accept peoples opinions, opportunity flamer. People like you need to read rules, you obviously registered here just to flame as much people as possible. Heck, my heart skips a few beats when I see you have posted something, because I know it's a big offensive flame.

Big offensive flame? To you maybe but he's being defensive. If you don't play this mod and don't like JK2-style gameplay, gtfo.

And no, I don't play JK2, I play JA. As said, JA is my main target for practicing, JK2 is way forgotten now. There is a difference between having a SABER duel and having a kung-fu-grip duel.

We don't play just because sabers are involed or because of "kung-fu-grip duels" are involved. We play because it's fun and challenging to play this way.

Or are you referring to XMOD in JA? Well, I don't play that, I play the base JA. So if you want a challenge, make it base JA, not Xmod. It is in fact different, you train skills in Xmod, and I at the base game. If we play base, I will probably win, if we play Xmod, you will probably win. Xmod is JK2, and I'm here to play JA. No offense to the creator of Xmod, but I prefer normal JA, and it is my target. Perhaps Space Mod when it comes out, we all know it looks like great fun.

Again if you don't play xmod I see no point in you posting here and making yourself look stupid.

That's about it. I prefer playing with any force powers, and with a saber. Normal JA. No JK2 kicks or similar. Perhaps mods that enables multiple duels and restore HP at the beginning of duels, those are really good mods.

And you are entitled to your personal opinion.

Please, try to refrain from flaming. I'm even scared of posting my opinion at times, because I know somebody will flame the heck out of me just because they have nothing else to do.

No, they flame the heck out of you because you leave yourself open to it. It's inevitable with some of the completely stupid posts you make.

BTW, the challenge still stands. I just haven't been able to log into MSN for a while cuz something's messed up with my account but when I get a new one, I'll be on.

Hex:

While having a poll is a nice idea, the trouble is, all the guys who want to torment people in their servers will vote to keep the abusive admin functions.

You just have to make a decision. Do you want to give the bullies the tools to make their dreams come true, or do you want to allow people to actually play the game without fear of being humiliated constantly?

Host that poll here and I bet you'll get more people against the admin functions.

Or perhaps FK will come out and vote against abusive functions? I think they're brave enough...

And as to saying that admins can "already torment" players by changing gravity (last time I checked gravity affected everyone, including the admin)... that's NOTHING compared to what the 'amlame' comands give them.

Giving the admin the power to kill any player on the map instantly is NOT conducive to gameplay. Like you said, it's just for messing around, thus it should go in a "CHEAT MODE" type thing, just like Devmap.

Amlaming is just giving cheats to admins, pure and simple.

Originally posted by Master William

Then do us all a favor and find a way to get your account deleted, because I sure as hell won't hold back the overdue flamethrower for pity's sake.

There's a nice thing we like to call leaving one's doors open to counter, post-attack of course.

And just for the sake of pissing you off.

Cry more.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Hex:

While having a poll is a nice idea, the trouble is, all the guys who want to torment people in their servers will vote to keep the abusive admin functions.

You just have to make a decision. Do you want to give the bullies the tools to make their dreams come true, or do you want to allow people to actually play the game without fear of being humiliated constantly?

Host that poll here and I bet you'll get more people against the admin functions.

Or perhaps FK will come out and vote against abusive functions? I think they're brave enough...

And as to saying that admins can "already torment" players by changing gravity (last time I checked gravity affected everyone, including the admin)... that's NOTHING compared to what the 'amlame' comands give them.

Giving the admin the power to kill any player on the map instantly is NOT conducive to gameplay. Like you said, it's just for messing around, thus it should go in a "CHEAT MODE" type thing, just like Devmap.

Amlaming is just giving cheats to admins, pure and simple.

FK's (the old ones anyway, some of them) don't like x or xmod (least in ja cause of some of the things it took out, namely suicide and pt) for various reasons which we wont get into.

Stop this fighting crap.

Leave Master William allone.

And I agree with him. Xmod is just for the people that want to kick allot and not fight with weapons. Even if you dont agree with us, that doesnt make it ok for you to flame.

Why flame?

You are angry with something that happened in your life. (lol)

Dont take it out on people, its lame, and shouldnt be tolerated on the forums.

Master William, its just words, get used to it.

Throughout life you will hear dirty and mean comments.

Dont take it personaly, just take it and dont give a ........

Remember, its just a game. You bought it to have fun. Dont let other people ruin it.

god shut the **** up you dimented little twit. you and william constantly come into threads were we are actually TRYING TO GET SOMETHING ****ING DONE and derail them with personal attacks and flamebaiting (which we will sure as **** take that bait and you know it).

YOU brought this on YOURSELVES so quit ****ing crying about it.

YOU could just STAY THE **** OUT of these topics with your little trite phrases but you don't.

WE don't mind if you do them in threads where its just chatting or some **** but you constantly fling **** into our faces WHEN WE ARE DISCUSSING SOMETHING OF IMPORTANCE.

WE constantly remind you that if you want to flame us or flamebait us you are more than welcome to it either IN ANOTHER ****ING THREAD, on a chat service such as AIM, MSN, or IRC, or ON OUR CLAN BOARDS where you will not be EDITED or any of that bull**** and can have your say without fear of being banned or whatever.

now go sit in your god damn corner and revel each other with stories of dendrophiliacism.

/edit sorry kurgan but i'm done turning the other cheek. i'm fed up with little twits trying to be the center of attention. i've put up with their crap for a long time and i'm done with it. if you decide to ban me for this thats fine. fact is the two of them have been doing things any one of us would have been banned for without more than a warning. hell i've been banned from this board for less than what they have done.

Originally posted by SpecialForces

Stop this fighting crap.

Leave Master William allone.

And I agree with him. Xmod is just for the people that want to kick allot and not fight with weapons. Even if you dont agree with us, that doesnt make it ok for you to flame.

Why flame?

You are angry with something that happened in your life. (lol)

Dont take it out on people, its lame, and shouldnt be tolerated on the forums.

Master William, its just words, get used to it.

Throughout life you will hear dirty and mean comments.

Dont take it personaly, just take it and dont give a ........

Remember, its just a game. You bought it to have fun. Dont let other people ruin it.

Are you looking for attention or someone who understands you? Plz call 1-800-TEENHELP now and maybe you'll find someone there who cares (or is paid to pretend to care). Bye.

Rumor, try upgrading you vocabulary abit... Using a curse word more then 2 times in the same sentance shows a lack of mental ability.

Its ridiculous that you get so hyped over the talk of a video game... Your probly one of those kids who doesn’t have a real life so you try to make yourself feel important/powerful online, correct? Well don’t answer that, as I know you wont admit to it.

Grow up a little, this is a board for a video game (one your clan doesn’t even play, to my knowledge) and quit taking things so serious.

oh shut the **** up rok/freedom newbie.

you and your entire clan went on a rampage crying about how you should get a forfiet win over a "prejudice word" when toosexy said bite me when image raped you 10-0 in ten minutes.

and anyone that says the bull**** you are spewing about cursing and mental ability is about as trite and cliche as calling a kettle black. albert einstein cursed like a sailor.

now go /am****yourself in a corner.

Originally posted by ZDawg

Rumor, try upgrading you vocabulary abit... Using a curse word more then 2 times in the same sentance shows a lack of mental ability.

As you've just demonstrated, cursing at people who won't listen also makes them pay attention. We've been telling Master William and SpecialOlympics to stop trolling on here if they don't even play the mod or ever intend to. Do they listen? Nope.

Its ridiculous that you get so hyped over the talk of a video game... Your probly one of those kids who doesn’t have a real life so you try to make yourself feel important/powerful online, correct? Well don’t answer that, as I know you wont admit to it.

Um, no. He just likes video games and would like to see xmod go in the right direction, as most ff/so players do. Telling random newbies who don't even play this mod but yet try to get their opinion heard about it (not like it counts) to gtfo of this thread isn't exactly trying to make oneself feel more "important/powerful."

Grow up a little, this is a board for a video game (one your clan doesn’t even play, to my knowledge) and quit taking things so serious.

You damn bet we'd play once ladders start using xmod to make the ff/so portion of the game playable for competition.

Archived