Home

New SW game "Battlefront" to be announced

jp-30

From a thread at theforce.net's games forum ;

Okay, so in the new EGM, it has something that next issue they will have a blow out on Star Wars: Battlefront. Reported from other sites like IGN, and mags like GMR, OPM, and EGM, there is a brand new Star Wars Battlefield 1942-esque game in work for PS2 Online.

I did some checking and both domain names starwarsbattlefront.com and starwarsbattlefront.net were regsitered to Lucasfilm on October 16.

Whether is a PS2 Online game remains to be seen...

I used the whois lookup at discountdomains.co.nz, but almost anywhere where you register domain names can do it.

The domain names above in my post are links to the registration records, so if you wanna take a look, just click them!

Quite cool. Even in single player mode it's fun to play. The controls sometimes feel a little choppy, but that may be because I set the settings too high for my PC. You can drive around in a variety of vehicles and the landscapes look good. If you liked Team Fortress for Half-Life, chances are you'll also like BF1942.

I have played the Secret Weapons of WWII demo a lot of times, trying different approaches to occupy Hellendorn for the Allied.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry be happy.

It's coming out for PC, PS2 & Xbox if the reports are correct.

A LucasArts representative confirmed today that the studio is working on a new Star Wars title which it will unveil early next year. Currently called Star Wars: Battlefront, the game will feature online multiplayer war action a la Battlefield 1942 set in the Star Wars universe. Although some rumors pegged Battlefront as a PlayStation 2-exclusive title, LucasArts told GameSpot the game would be available on PS2, Xbox and PC. The studio declined to reveal any other details on the game, although a Battle of Hoth map is all but guaranteed. - Gamespot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First "hands-on" preview at gamespy.com

Even at this early stage, the game engine is attractive and runs smoothly, even on the beleaguered and swiftly aging PS2. This is an impressive feat given the size of the game's levels and conflicts: each map is a huge environment, many with significant outdoor portions, with dozens of A.I. soldiers running about. Graphical effects are of paramount importance to the team, who claim they're trying to squeeze the last drops of power out of the PS2. Of course, the PC and Xbox versions have those bells and whistles to begin with. The game features what the developers call a "romantic camera," a softening glow effect similar to the bloom featured in the PC version of Deus Ex: Invisible War or the soft focus of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

...Environmental elements, like Ewoks running to and fro on Endor, are also planned.

... While all three versions are currently cross-compatible, Xbox Live is a closed network and likely won't be able to talk to the other two versions when all is complete. PS2 and PC? Well, that's another story -- it's not yet decided. :c3po:

"Romantic soft focus camera"? In a tactical FPS? Huh?

Archived