Home

'Star Wars: Darth Vader' game rumoured

jp-30

Well, while I was searching for more info on "Battlefront", I stumbled on this IGN "PS2 rumour mill" article, where we have this rather interesting entry;

Star Wars Episode III: Darth Vader

IGN learned through internal sources yesterday that LucasArts is working on a brand new title in the Star Wars franchise. While any geek with a chicken head in his mouth could tell you that it's a no-brainer that LucasArts would be making a game based on Star Wars Episode III, we've learned a little more than the other. The game, believed to be a third-person perspective action-adventure game, enables players to take on the role of Darth Vader, a first for a Star Wars title and more importantly, giving players something they've wanted to do for a long, long time.

When contacted, LucasArts would neither confirm nor deny this information, which is often a sure-case confirmation the game's being worked on. Still, we can play as Darth Vader?! Excuse our French, but um…WOOT!!!!

The movie follows the continuation of the Clone War and portrays Anakin Skywalker's dangerous dance with the Dark Side of the Force as well as his increasing conflict with Obi-Wan Kenobi. Will the game follow the same storyline? It's too early to tell, but we suspect that if you get to take on the role of Darth, a boss battle with Obi-Wan has GOT to be in there somewhere.

Given that the movie of the same name is slated for a 2005 release, the corresponding game is also very early in development and is likely due around the same time.

// shrug //

Place your bets - fanboy dream or actual game in pre-production?

It would be awsome if you controlled Vader when he became evil and hunted down and killed all of the jedi's. I sooo wanna kill Mace Windu, he pissed me off.

But vader became kinda lazy in 4,5, and 6. He never really faught, he just went around choking people with the force, and even his lightsaber fights were kinda lazy, he just used one hand and smoked everyone. Its ridiculas how powerful he was

Originally posted by Hellbeard

But vader became kinda lazy in 4,5, and 6. He never really faught, he just went around choking people with the force, and even his lightsaber fights were kinda lazy, he just used one hand and smoked everyone. Its ridiculas how powerful he was

He wouldn't have been much of a threat if he wasn't ridiculously powerful.

*gasp* I just thought of more one-liners that'd be perfect in the game:

"I am the master!"

"You are beaten!!!"

(both from the movies)

All the better if they are done with James Earl Jones' voice. Wow, sounds tantalizing already. This world needs more Duke Nukem. Where's DNF anyway?? I thought it was supposed to come out four years ago.

They renamed it to "Duke Nukem takes Forever". I don't get why they didn't release it in one of the various stages that the trailers show. It's not like Duke Nukem 3D was state-of-the-art back when it came out. Quake, anyone?

I would be happy about another DN: Manhattan Project. I liked that one.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an interesting post in theforce.net's Episode III (spoilers allowed) forum.

Click here, but beware of spoilers!

It was about the possible title of Episode III, but it also lent weight to the Vader game rumour;

My boss, who returned yesterday from a meeting in the US with licensees regarding a forthcoming Ep.III game we are likely to be involved with (fingers crossed), says that the rumour coming from another agency based in New York is that the favoured & most likely title of the movie (and books/games etc obviously, and this is according to Lucasarts bods themselves) is a three-word title including the name "Vader"..!

• 1 month later...

From theforce.net/games

Update: LucasArts had exactly the following quotes to say:

"the information IGN has is incorrect"

"there's no further information about an Episode III game"

"More information coming much later this year"

Obviously some disappointing news there, but it has a note of hope there, as they haven't flat out denied it.

• 9 months later...
the favoured & most likely title of the movie (and books/games etc obviously, and this is according to Lucasarts bods themselves) is a three-word title including the name "Vader"..!

Except we already know the Ep 3 title, don't we?

This Vader game rumour has been going on for a fair few months. Republic Commando and Revenge of the Sith - The Game are the only two scheduled at the moment. However, a Vader game would undoubtedly kick ass - unless LA did it themselves, in which case I'd like everyone to remember how cool Bounty Hunter sounded.

The story of Vader/Episode III game/etc, as I heard it, piece by piece, from various rumor sources:

Far as I know the "Vader" game was a project by John Knowles' team (their previous game was Bounty Hunter). Apparently (and this is 10000% rumor town) post Bounty Hunter the team pitched an original, non-SW title, and were given a choice of doing the original title for a tiny budget, or a Star Wars game for a large budget, so they started working on the Vader game.

Apparently sometime following that decision, George Lucas nixed the Vader concept, saying that it didn't fit within Vader's character arc and some other stuff blah blah, so the game was turned into an all-purpose Episode III game where instead of playing Vader, the player controls the heroes (or whatever, as heroic as Anakin is at this point).

After a while of the game being worked on internally, someone at LucasArts or LucasFilm wasn't pleased with the direction it was going, so the game was taken away from the internal team and given to The Collective.

If I remember correctly, John Knowles was let go along with a lot of other employees in that last major round of LEC layoffs along with Stemmle etc...

Archived