Home

DCMoD

Alegis

Can I drag you onto a mini-mod those people who think like me that admin mods are abused:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118811

Note how this mod will not be empowering admins at all, it is merely a fix, like a 1.02 patch but with a few extra's. The reason this was even started was to fix the vehicle limit (hence me posting about it in reply to Vile's post)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres nothing wrong with the mod. the mod is actually really good.Its just certain people that use the mod(these so called 12yr old Admin abusers).This mod is designed for the busy clan server, not for the mass ffa-no rule servers.unless youve tried it, dont diss it.

There are alot of cool things in this that JA mod doesnt have. like FF duels,Auto-admin and the Hunted gametype.

Im pretty sure a lot of people are lookin forward to this. I for one, am definatly looking forward to it.

Why?

Because im an admin on our server, (and no, i dont abuse it) and i personally think that if somone breaks the rules (which i have displaid in a bind which i constantly show new joiners to the server) then i can sort out the trouble WITHOUT having to kick (unless they break the rules again).

Its useful to stop somone in their tracks whos breaking our rules and speak to them about it before just tappin the key that would kick them out (also binded).

Originally posted by Darth Kaan

LOL, not. :D

Please clean out your pm folder, I have been trying to send you a message but it won't go through.

lol i have 102 of them hehe.

didn't know there was a limit and i've been looking everytime to see if you had sent me one hah

Originally posted by Alegis Gensan

I expected nothing else from ppl who haven't tried it, and from those who actually did they speak positive

no offense...but the description speaks for its self.

Most folks won't even bother with it due to that.

And ofcourse the ones that tried it are gonna like it, there "honor sith".

I removed all those abusive commands because, well, The Jedi Academy Mod was #1 mod used for JO. Second, I suggest you rethink what you or Janos throws out there to the public. A lot of gameplay was ruined, thanks to me and my mod, and I will not duplicate it again. Jedi Academy Reloaded will be a new revolution in the admin mods where it will provide fair gameplay and not stupid commands like slap, punish, bunny, expolde. Thos commands are useless. Lastly, please stop copying the JA Mod, its really weak!

Who's the coder for this project?

We finally had a breakthrough among the coders in this community in regards to removing abusive commands & now this comes along. This goes for Mars (Vulcanus coder), Chosen One (Jedi Academy mod/Jedi Academy Reloaded mod), Razorace (MotF & one of the OJP coders), Lee Oattes (Duelers coder), among a variety of others.

Please understand that abusive commands like explode, slap, etc; etc. destroy the community. Let me explain...

Lets say a guy goes out & buys JA. He finally figures out how to join an online game & joins a DCMod server (since this is server-side, more than likely not even knowing this is a modd'ed server). He doesn't bow before battle and/or attacks a person while they are bowing, not knowing any better because he just bought the game; Or maybe the guy is just kicking the admins butt so the admin of the server labels him a "lamer" & slaps the guy around, freezes him does all kinds of other uncool things etc; etc. so the guy leaves the server & joins another. Now this happens to him again & again from time to time. Would you want to keep playing the game if this is kept happening to you? This was a very mild example of some of the stuff people do with these types of commands in their power. This was the biggest downfall in JK2. Please join the other coders in the community in this effort.

There are 3 things admins need to do.

#1) Warn.

#2) Boot.

#3) Ban.

Anything other than that, & I DO MEAN ANYTHING other than that, is admin abuse. Plain & simple.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking your mod dude. I'm sure you have some good stuff in here but any of these types of commands should be removed. There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON WHATSOEVER why an admin would need to explode a player, slap a player, use any cheats that gives admins more ammo/health than everyone else or refill or whatever, etc; etc. these types of commands have been abused in the past & will continue to be abused in the future if you allow it.

I'm going to refer as many of the coders & other developers in the community I know to this thread so they can put in their 2 cents as well.

Originally posted by zERoCooL2479

I removed all those abusive commands because, well, The Jedi Academy Mod was #1 mod used for JO. Second, I suggest you rethink what you or Janos throws out there to the public. A lot of gameplay was ruined, thanks to me and my mod, and I will not duplicate it again. Jedi Academy Reloaded will be a new revolution in the admin mods where it will provide fair gameplay and not stupid commands like slap, punish, bunny, expolde. Thos commands are useless. Lastly, please stop copying the JA Mod, its really weak!

Thank you cHoSeN oNe!!! :amidala:

Admin mod authors removing abusive features from admin mods.

An small but growing number of "honor code-free" servers.

General disapproval of honor code excesses, admin abuse, and killtrackers in this forum.

A whole new group of players who have not been coerced or brainwashed into following honor codes, and whose hearts and minds are still up for grabs.

Creative modders creating melee mods, instagib mods, and returning features of JK2 gameplay considered essential by the competitive community to JA, to be added to the new features of JA.

We still have a long way to go, and the final outcome isn't yet clear. But I sense a change in momentum, and a feeling that history is not going to repeat itself this time.

I don't know about you, but I'm starting to feel pretty optimistic:amidala:

First of all coming from an Admin for both JO and JA I must say DCMOD is one of the best mods around.

I think the features it has, uses and is planned to have make it one of the best mods around.

It was created by the DEATH Clan FOR the DEATH Clan. Releasing it to the public was something additonal.

As a DEATH Admin and owner of our main server I can honestly say this mod has made my life and the life of the other admins a lot easier. I dont just say that because Janos made it, I say it because hell, if I didnt feel it was the best mod for my server I wouldn't use it. Plain and simple. Heck, in the early days of DCMOD I regularly switched back to JAMOD because at the time DCMOD was still in its infantile stage.

I say all that knowing who is going to be admin on my server. If anyone wasn't doing there job as it should, that is not keeping the peace or using powers for their own use then guess what? They get a slap upside their face. Its happened before in my clan with abusing admins. However I know a lot of people don't share my ethics. Regardless of what smacktards say I am not an admin just to boss little 12 year olds about when they play the game. I think of myself more as a server moderator, someone there to ensure everyone has fun and to make sure no one is selfish and tries to upset others.

Everyone seems to be focusing on the poor little 12 year old german kids or whatever that don't speak very good english or don't understand the concepts of our rules. For these kinda people I honestly do take my take and try and explain rules. In the case of our server the rules are pretty straightforward. If you wanna fight you do it fairly leaving others who dont wanna fight alone. Simple as that. Unlike other games JA and JO aint just fighting games, quite often they are communities within servers, with people playing around, socialsing and of course fighting. It is these kinds of servers that this mod was made for.

Now I agree that there is an abundance of 12 year old pricktards out there just waiting for a mod like this so they can go "Yeehaw" i can boss people and abuse powers :) . Well I agree its a problem, and the fact is I think some of the more abusable commands should be restricted, at least in a public release and Janos is considering this kind of stuff. I have even been pushing for more gameplay fixing ideas that benefit all players and not just the admins.

However, DCMOD has a lot of offer than just "Slap Explode and Fly", already there are tons of gameplay features you wont find in other mods, like Hunted for example, which is taken from the TFC Level... "Hunted". Its a very different game and brings a lot to JO, as Im sure it will when its ported to JA.

So please don't bash something like this, fair enough stress how something like this could effect the community in a bad way but FFS, have some respect. This mod was ENTIRELY coded from scratch, as in no code other than Janos' own was used in this mod.

Oh, whats that Chosen, didnt hear that up your mountain, well fair enough, but remember why Janos made this mod. It was because JAMOD didn't have enough and was too restrictive. You also have to remember that JAMOD was designed for The Jedi Academy and your servers, a lot of other clans, ours included found your mod too restrictive. However back then MarS (thats right, Marcel, not YOU) had some great ideas that have became common place in the JO world. Janos used a lot of these ideas and tons of his own throughout. And you may not know but a lot of this stuff was developed simultaneously with JAMOD. I remember fondly talking to Janos about DCMOD improvments to have Janos come back a week later saying "I've done this, and this and this" for me to go, "btw, have you looked at the latest release of JAMOD on jk2files?" Janos would reply "No..." "well Chosen has added a all that stuff you just said, like Ban List in a file, like access to the Rcon from \am and like ...".

Anyway, too long a post already, but I agree that Mods will change for the better in the future. However bashing mods aint gonna do Sweet F. A.

Contstuctive critism is what is needed NOT

another mod to help idiotic honor code 12 year old admins enforce their silly rules..

If you want to use the mod on only your own clan server, that's fine. However, then you go the extra mile and release it to the public, you take on a level of responsibility.

In this case, our collective experience with JK2 has shown that giving more power to the admins results in a huge percentage of servers actually becoming unfun due to cvar ODing and harassment-by-means-of-admin-powers.

Im quoting myself now...

Now I agree that there is an abundance of 12 year old pricktards out there just waiting for a mod like this so they can go "Yeehaw" i can boss people and abuse powers . Well I agree its a problem, and the fact is I think some of the more abusable commands should be restricted, at least in a public release and Janos is considering this kind of stuff. I have even been pushing for more gameplay fixing ideas that benefit all players and not just the admins.

I agree with you, yet I also adressed some other issues.

With DCMOD.JA we hope to add lots of new features aimed at the whole userbase, in fact I just finished typing up a whole new gametype that we plan to implement that, if it all goes to plan, should blow everyone away.

Anything has to be better than Omni after all....

A lot of the improvements in this mod sound very good, but as has been stated like five times above me (just posting this here to raise my post count and compact the idea a little more), a LOT of these features will completely hurt the community. Keep them on your server, by all means, it's your server, but if you put all of the 'extra' (call the commands what you want, the people above me stated what I mean by these) in the community release it will hurt the community greatly.

The hunted gameplay mode sounds very interesting, and if done correctly it could be great fun. I was wondering, could you guys mod into the game the ability to use the customization for jedi into the siege gamemode? I don't understand why Raven didn't do it...

Originally posted by babywax

A lot of the improvements in this mod sound very good, but as has been stated like five times above me (just posting this here to raise my post count and compact the idea a little more), a LOT of these features will completely hurt the community. Keep them on your server, by all means, it's your server, but if you put all of the 'extra' (call the commands what you want, the people above me stated what I mean by these) in the community release it will hurt the community greatly.

The hunted gameplay mode sounds very interesting, and if done correctly it could be great fun. I was wondering, could you guys mod into the game the ability to use the customization for jedi into the siege gamemode? I don't understand why Raven didn't do it...

Good for you and your quest for a high post count, but read the posts please . As I said Janos, the creator of the DCMoD is working on cutting back Admin related powers and adding more gamplay related items.

And by modding in the extra customisations for Jedi into Siege I take it you are referring to the fact you can't edit force or your Lightsaber in Siege gametypes.

I believe this is a balance issue. All the classes have to have some point to them and by capping the Jedi class this way they keep the balance.

So, to sum up: DON'T add abuse-prone "punishment/empowerment" type Admin commands, or you'll have a great number of people abuse them (more than those who would use them "legitimately" if such a thing were possible).

These commands are the same as giving one player the ability to cheat and nobody else. How much fun is that? (besides real fun for the admin)

And especially if you include commands like this, DON'T RELEASE THE SOURCE! People will just rip off your mod and add MORE abusive admin commands!

Good luck though. ; )

Good for you and your quest for a high post count, but read the posts please . As I said Janos, the creator of the DCMoD is working on cutting back Admin related powers and adding more gamplay related items.

The remark about the post count was sarcastic.

BTW, no, you did not say he was cutting back, you said he was considering cutting back:

at least in a public release and Janos is considering this kind of stuff

And by modding in the extra customisations for Jedi into Siege I take it you are referring to the fact you can't edit force or your Lightsaber in Siege gametypes.

Not quite, sabers can stay the same, although it would be nice to have limited color selection on light side (blue/green, maybe some others, but no red of course to stop people from getting confused). I was mostly referring to torso/head/legs selection, and hilts too, not really the actual type(dual, staff or single) of saber.

I thought about that myself a while ago, including models and saber color. Then I was playing some siege and I realised why they make the skins and saber standards.

In the middle of a match it can be VERY useful to know who and what kind of classes are in your team. Very often if I am low on ammo, or health or need support or whatever I will first look around at my fellow players and see if i can see a Tech or a medic around.

If i see one I will use Voice chat and call for assistance, if not I might call anyway but I'll probably push on and die anyway.

It could be done I suppose, for the other classes aside for tech. But then again, its all about balance and I personally think being able to quickly identify team member classes outweighs being able to personalise your skin in siege.

Also, theres the fact the Siege menu doesnt let you select Saber and Skin but I thought I'd leave that little technical gem to last.

And I'm sorry if my post replying to yours was a little caustic but whats the point in making a post that is just a sum up of all the other posts that just bashes something that is being addressed already. The guy Janos has spent over 7 months working hard on this, making it from scratch. Fair enough if you dont like it but bashing it resently is just plain unfair.

But anyway, if you do have sensible suggestions, bearning in mind this mod will be serverside then please, feel free to submit them :)

Oh, whats that Chosen, didnt hear that up your mountain, well fair enough, but remember why Janos made this mod. It was because JAMOD didn't have enough and was too restrictive. You also have to remember that JAMOD was designed for The Jedi Academy and your servers, a lot of other clans, ours included found your mod too restrictive. However back then MarS (thats right, Marcel, not YOU) had some great ideas that have became common place in the JO world. Janos used a lot of these ideas and tons of his own throughout. And you may not know but a lot of this stuff was developed simultaneously with JAMOD. I remember fondly talking to Janos about DCMOD improvments to have Janos come back a week later saying "I've done this, and this and this" for me to go, "btw, have you looked at the latest release of JAMOD on jk2files?" Janos would reply "No..." "well Chosen has added a all that stuff you just said, like Ban List in a file, like access to the Rcon from \am and like ...".

JA Mod 1.3 was out way before DCMod. If I remember correctly, the DC clan wanted me to make a altered version of JA Mod for them, I denied the proposal because I was hellova busy. The only reason why JAMod is what it is, is because of MarS, everyone knows that. I used the source of Vulcanus with his permission because he didnt want to continue it. I understand that he has helped DC the same way, which is great. But the fact that you fail to realize the impact that slap and those commands will/have caused is shameless. The reason I say "stop copying ja mod" is, well, the terminator command. I mean, you could have at least named it different. Jeez...lol This is not a flame nor is it a taunt, just remember that we're all in this together and we want to give the community good things, not traumatizing experiences of being slapped across the screen or lamed by an overpowered saberist.

Take Care,

-Mike

But the fact that you fail to realize the impact that slap and those commands will/have caused is shameless.

We did, but like every tool like this, it can and does get abused. Its just at what point is the level of abuse unacceptable that it outweighs the good of the mod.

You released a mod with similar features, I would have thought you may have been a little constructive considering you followed the same path.

And the very first incarnation of DCMOD thats the very first, came out about February, and if my memory serves me right that was about the same time as 1.2 of JA. Bear in mind that DCMOD was made from scratch, pretty much completely. janos did contact MarS at a late stage to get help with MOTD and Empower glow, but it was help rather than given the full Vulcanis source.

I agree about the terminator thing, fair point, i did find it strange myself at the time.

And I think everyone in this thread has acknowledged the direction that mods have to go. Bashing someone for something you where guilty of months ago is weak. I aint flaming but have some compasion and a little empathy. The points raised here HAVE been taken onboard, and changes have been made already.

In fact, we have and are adding new things to Jedi Academy that are increase the gameplay abilities including a number of completely new and original features.

Anyway, this aint a flame, I just want you to remember that the path behind us is just as important as the path before us.

And back to the topic at hand, SUITABLE comments on what people want in a mod for Jedi Academy.

And I swear, if one more person skips all of these posts and makes a dumbass post like:-

Waa, Waaa, i dont wanna be slapped because Im telling the admin to suck my penis, waaa, waaa

im gonna come slap you.

Fair enough, but we have talked about and adressed stuff like this. Please, let us move forward.

Have you ever heard the saying..."cHoSeN-oNe single handedly destroyed the jk2 community." well I did, and its not a good feeling. I've look at everything I've done for ja mod and it was all good fun. Things did get out of hand when I played on many public servers. Admin's executing commands for no reason. Empowerment was an easy thing to implement.

ent->client->ps.isJediMaster = qtrue;

If I remember correctly to get the glow thing ;-)

So yeah, I'm all about moving forward which is why we should'nt repeat the past. New gamemodes is great, and I have one I'm making myself. So good luck with that and if you need help or anything, just give me a holla.

Your neighborhood coding friend,

-Mike

I apologize if this has been answered before but I fail to see how commands like slap, terminator, explode, etc; etc. are useful in ANY way shape or form. They contribute ABSOLUTELY NOTHING constructive or useful, the ONLY thing they do is breed admin abuse & will destroy the community, not in whole of course, but definitely in part. That WAS the case with JK2, why people think it will be different in JK3 is beyond me.

Can someone please explain to me how any of these commands would be useful for anything other than admin abuse?

I had a thought. Since players have clans and work together, maybe the varous admins can create a clan of "Admins". In this clan, we will agreed if we use admin mods to help admin our servers, that we won't abuse them. Players can know that admins that are a part of this "Organization" vow not to abuse their power and can play without the abuse. I know this sounds really dorky, but I would take part to help control my server and to let everyone know that I'm not gonna abuse an admin mod when/if one is ever installed. Just a thought.

Originally posted by P.I.M.P

I had a thought. Since players have clans and work together, maybe the varous admins can create a clan of "Admins". In this clan, we will agreed if we use admin mods to help admin our servers, that we won't abuse them. Players can know that admins that are a part of this "Organization" vow not to abuse their power and can play without the abuse. I know this sounds really dorky, but I would take part to help control my server and to let everyone know that I'm not gonna abuse an admin mod when/if one is ever installed. Just a thought.

#1 Sounds great & all but the reality of the matter is it would leak & would go public. I think everyone realistically knows this.

#2 You didn't answer the question. What possible use could any of these abusive commands have aside from breeding admin abuse?

#2 You didn't answer the question. What possible use could any of these abusive commands have aside from breeding admin abuse?

Dude, read all these posts if you havent. Read every damn one.

THEN, if you have done that I shall explain what they are for.

On occasion you get Lamers that are:- Abusive, Offensive, Racist, Deliberately try to upset people, flame or generally try to be assholes.

These people are only playing a game to piss people off or upset them.

These kind of people need an ass kicking. If someone comes on and genuinely doesn't understand whats going on or is unaware of my rules then I will do my best to help them and help them to understand because, at least from what I've seen, the rules we enforce on our server are pretty standard to the rest of the JK servers.

However, the Ass's that try to upset people or blatantly break rules need all these fancy commands applied to them. Do you honestly think that if one of these lamers who goes around trying to upset people will really enjoy being slept and left in a corner where they cant do anything. I regularly enjoy sleeping racists, silencing them and inserting them into a wall. With DCMOD they cant talk, rename, join the spectators or do anything. I ban them so the only thing the lamer can do is disconnect.

THEN they might reconsider being assholes on other servers, but I agree that is what they are intended for but I doubt the majority of 15 year old piss-ants who get upset because they get bullied at school aren't going to use these tools as intended.

But Annnyyywaaayyy.

Read all these posts and see the general consensis is that game mods for JA SHOULD have some admin abilities, only less exotic or "abusable commands" and focus more on gameplay modifications.

And I think an Admin guild would be very, very cool. It would be a fair bit of work, but I think it could be successful, perhaps a think is in order...

Archived