Home

RGB Saber Colors

NickR

Since I've finished the Force Fall code, and because no one else has start working on it, I decided to get cracking on getting RGB Saber Colors into JA. Rather than take my old RGB Saber Color code that I did for JK2, I've completely rewritten it.

I've got the client side part of the code working, i.e. you can set the rgb color values for you two saber blades via cvars but they are only seen by you. The cvars are:

>cg_saber_rgbcolors (0/1)

>cg_saber_rgbcolor (255.255.255)

>cg_saber2_rgbcolor (255.255.255)

The good thing about this new format is that you don't have 1 cvar for each rgb value. Instead you use a . to seperate each rgb value, like above.

I'm now working on getting this working in the menu.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I suggest you use 3 cvars for each of the two blades. It would be more like the standard established by Raven and be more user friendly.

You're kinding? I've just the thing finished. For my JO version it did use 3 cvars for each but I found it less user friendly than my current version. And what standard would that be? They use one cvar each for both blade colors, as does mine. If you can give me a suitable reason I'll gladly change it.

Also, please post that you're working on this in the "What's New?" thread. Thanks!

Sure, no problem! :)

Yeah, I think you're right. I've realised some people might want to use scripts to tweak they blade colors. They could even create a blade that constantly changes colors, which would be cool to see. Anyway, I've already altered the code with the 3 cvars for each blade done. I'm just sorting the 2 menus out now.

I think we should discuss the layout of the rgb options. Because I'll be buggered if I spend hours working on a design and you guys say that it should be done differently. :D

About the rgb presets, I'll have to add extra code to make preset boxs coloured the correct way, and right now I'm not totally sure how I can achieve that via the Quake3 menu system. In UT2003 it would be simple to do, but unless we do it the old fashioned way and get loads of different colored images it'll be hard to alter a white box with specific rgb values. And it wouldn't make extended the rgb presets easy either.

NickR, since you're tearing things apart anyway, should you mind setting it up so that players can choose the blade styles (blade shape jpgs) for both the original presets and the RGB blades?

If you need help with making the uiscript for such a setup, I'm willing to help.

I think that TCK should have his RGB legacy kept intact, so how about I just incorporate the blade styles modifier you want and the second staff blade color change I've made?

I'm pretty sure both myself and TCK have probably coded the RGB blade color system exactly the same, so there's no point using mine and have people think he did it anyway! :D

I hope Tck doesn't mind me speaking for him, but he's done exactly what you've guess NickR.

I've seen a video on his sabers shifting through colors like christmas lights - very nice.

As far as selectable rgb blades go - doing them for all 6 blades and for the rgb styles mean you have to make a minimum of 14 jpegs for each different blade type (core and coreglow), or 28 jpegs per blade if you wanna do it well.

So if you only made 5 different blades to choose from you'd have to make 140 jpegs if you account for differences in core, coreglow, trail, and radial glow.

Archived