Home

RGB Saber Colors

NickR

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hiya everyone.

As Azymn said, ive done more than my old rgb sabers.

you can see here a few screenshots and vids :

http://mbalch.free.fr/jk3/

here are the features of this small mod :

-rgb blades

-black saber ( with black trails)

-multicolor sabers ( watch the pimp videos.)

-scripted saber.

the later allows you to control which are the colors your saber will go through, the order, and the transition time between each color.

ill make a small vid if you like.

the script system is simple and efficient, it works this way :

tck_script1 ( or 2 for second blade, and the cvar names are temporary, asuming it gets included in ojp, maybe it will be better to call them OJP_script1 etc..)

so :

tck_script1 :R1,G1,B1:T1:R2,G2,B2:T2:.....:R10:G10:B10:T10:

you can have up to 10 colors. but there is no min limit.

I also made the menus, and the cvars for the definition of the saber are like this :

tck_saber1 R,G,B

the ui cvars which are used for sliders and stuff are disociated.

anyway, NickR, try to hang out on #jkacoding on quakenet so we can talk about it.

(just click on my sig =) )

btw if they re any serious testers interested, i ll give out the mod, so it can be extensively tested.

btw2, i won't release it as a stand alone mod.

ill try to make a small vid of a scripted saber and ill upload it soon.

cya.

Edit :

i uploaded a scripted sabers video.

the script used was red to blue with 1 sec between color change.

like this :

tck_script1 :255,0,0:1000:0,0,255:1000:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have mirc installed atm, sorry.

I think Tchouky has everything covered. I only have the standard rgb functionality done with an unfinished menu.

Unless Tchouky has some rgb problems then you should use his rgb system. He's obviously put more effort and time into it than I have.

I have only one comment concerning this. Don't allow the RGB mode to change the saber core. To me it just ruins the whole Star Wars feel when people have a black (usually the color picked) core.

I lied. I have two comments. Make the saber menu like the RGB for the player menu. It keeps the presets, for those like me, who are fine with the current sabers, and allows others to use RGB.

I think people should have the freedom to do whatever they like. Granted, the black core does look uglier tha hell IMO but some people like it & they should be permitted to use them if they like.

I think the best solution would be to have a client side CVar that just disables the core colors. Making it white would probably be best.

Also, as far as the presets are concerned, as long as each color is configurable via a CVAr then those can be scripted (like JediMod was). All it takes is a tutorial on how to write them, I can take care of that if you guys like.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Tchouky

hiya everyone.

As Azymn said, ive done more than my old rgb sabers.

you can see here a few screenshots and vids :

http://mbalch.free.fr/jk3/

here are the features of this small mod :

-rgb blades

-black saber ( with black trails)

-multicolor sabers ( watch the pimp videos.)

-scripted saber.

the later allows you to control which are the colors your saber will go through, the order, and the transition time between each color.

ill make a small vid if you like.

the script system is simple and efficient, it works this way :

tck_script1 ( or 2 for second blade, and the cvar names are temporary, asuming it gets included in ojp, maybe it will be better to call them OJP_script1 etc..)

so :

tck_script1 :R1,G1,B1:T1:R2,G2,B2:T2:.....:R10:G10:B10:T10:

you can have up to 10 colors. but there is no min limit.

I also made the menus, and the cvars for the definition of the saber are like this :

tck_saber1 R,G,B

the ui cvars which are used for sliders and stuff are disociated.

anyway, NickR, try to hang out on #jkacoding on quakenet so we can talk about it.

(just click on my sig =) )

btw if they re any serious testers interested, i ll give out the mod, so it can be extensively tested.

btw2, i won't release it as a stand alone mod.

ill try to make a small vid of a scripted saber and ill upload it soon.

cya.

Edit :

i uploaded a scripted sabers video.

the script used was red to blue with 1 sec between color change.

like this :

tck_script1 :255,0,0:1000:0,0,255:1000:

WOW, are you releasing this? where can I get this? It's exactly what I've been waiting for!:D

Originally posted by razorace

He's working on it right now. It's going to be a OJP exclusive...well at least until someone ports the source code.

well, Since I can't run strong forces 2 and ojp at the same time, I'll have to make a tough choice.

Also, have you found the mod yet?

I like the multi-color sabers, they look cool & all but I would imagine that that is prety laggy for some clients. I think there should be a cvar for clients that disables the multi-colored saber for them only (since it's all done client side anyways pretty much), this way those whom want to view it can but those of us with a slow PC can still play wihtout the extra lag.

• 2 weeks later...

its not more or less laggy than regular sabers.

the color of the saber is retreived exactly the same way as model informations.

so it means its sent only everytime a client changes his informations ( model, team, etc...).

and for the drawing code, it only add one sprite per frame which is really nothing...

so it doesn't affect FPS or ping at all.

Archived