Home

"LucasArts Soundtracks" - the site is finally UP

Laserschwert

Some of you knew it would be coming, and some of you will be hit entirely by surprise... but I finally got my new site up and running:

"LucasArts Soundtracks"

A site showcasing the brilliant work of LucasArts' music department, and enabling you to make decent soundtrack CDs of the best game soundtracks ever.

Right now the site features the following soundtracks:

"The Secret of Monkey Island"

"Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge"

"The Curse of Monkey Island"

"Escape from Monkey Island"

"Sam & Max Hit the Road"

"Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis"

"Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb"

"Star Wars: Dark Forces"

But of course I will add more content as I find time. Right now Kenneth L. Simonsen (who did a fantastic job of MP3ifing "The Fate of Atlantis" and "Dark Forces") is working on more soundtracks for the site, and I am going to start working on the "Day of the Tentacle" soundtrack next week.

Adding to that I am going to create stylish CD-covers for all the soundtracks (right now only the four MI-soundtracks have covers), so that they don't look too dull on your shelf.

I hope you enjoy this site as much as I like working on it (and of course listening to the music), and please, help me spread the word that this site exists...

Here's the link:

LucasArts Soundtracks

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, scroll bars will automatically be displayed when needed. (Kannst du bei SelfHTML nachlesen.)

I just noticed that there is music from Dark Forces. I can't wait to get home and check that out. Guess it was really hard to get that music in an acceptable form - it relied heavily on iMuse.

(Dann muss ich mir SelfHTML wohl nochmal zur Gemüte führen)

And yes, the "Dark Forces" soundtrack sounds incredible. Kenneth Simonsen did an awesome job on them (and according to him it was pretty painstaking). By the way, he uses GigaStudio, the same synth that Hans Zimmer uses!

It's great. and as you say in your opening statement about the old acronym being hard to remember, I think LAS is something that's gonna be around for a while. Might I suggest the Full throttle soundtrack for the near future (no rush, but it's sure to be a hit). God Luck man.

Originally posted by Laserschwert And yes, the "Dark Forces" soundtrack sounds incredible. Kenneth Simonsen did an awesome job on them (and according to him it was pretty painstaking). By the way, he uses GigaStudio, the same synth that Hans Zimmer uses!

The DF soundtrack is really awesome! Jeez. I'd sort of avoided it when I was looking around the site earlier because I sort of expected it to be crappy sounding :)

A lot of people use gigastudios it seems like, including Clint Bajakian and Jeremy Soule (he did the KOTOR soundtrack as well as probably a lot of other games).

@Joshi:

Well, doing "Full Throttle" would be cool, but unfortunately the game doesn't really have that much music that can be ripped from the game. And besides that, the soundtrack with all the "Gone Jackals"-songs ("Bone Pick") is still available. So that probably wouldn't happen.

@Udvarnoky:

It's very hard to get good quality music from all the old LucasFilmGames-games, like "Maniac Mansion" or "Zak MacKracken". There are two great remixes from the main titles of those two games, made by Puffy64. I WOULD be interested in adding a "Classics"-section to my site, containing all the music from those games. But those older games didn't have that much music in them, though I've gotta admit, that I've never played the NES-version of "Maniac Mansion", so I don't know what's with the music inthat version. But even if it's good enough, how on earth would I rip data from an NES-game??

All right, just before I wanted to answer to your post by asking, if you could record the tunes from the NES, I found 11 MIDIs ripped from the NES-version on the web.

But still, can you record those files to your PC?

EDIT: Never mind, got the NES-game to work on the PC, and it sounds just terrible. So, I'll try to turn the MIDIs into something... though I don't think they're good enough, and you were talking about remixes. Well, I'll try to talk Puffy64 into something... no promises though.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a reply to Captain Solo's threat.

Just to get everyone here in the know, while looking at the soundtrack for COMI I noticed that many of the track names had been taken from my COMI track list, posted on theiMuse Island forum.

After mailing Solo/Jan/whatever, telling them about this and asking for a little credit (book writers put references in Bibliographies when writing, don't they?), he denied it.

Captain Solo is a regular forumite at iMuse Island, and has a reply in the thread.

Solo said that most were taken from the Scumm Revisited file, which I did not even know existed when I created mine (for my own purposes, really, but I thought I'd share it). I can't get through to the link now, I don't know how close I got. But I have obviously left my mark on many of the track names, specifically:

Murray's Introduction (Ship Exterior after the Battle)

Maturity In 23 Seconds (Guybrush grows up - 23 seconds is the length of the track, including a LeChuck-theme bit that was cut out from the game)

"Time Out, Young Man" (I thought this would be quite a classy name for the scene where little Guybrush steps out of the carriage to the LeChuck theme)

Voodoo & Things (made up, obviously)

Quicksand/Papapishu (quicksand would have done, but I thought I'd get the gag in as well)

Jazzy Voodoo In The Swamp (word for word)

The various 'Swordfighting' titles, 'cept one (which I didn't like either. The reason I gave all these different titles was they were getting boring and I was trying to add a bit of humor)

The Undead Lovers (purely my own)

(There were few that were also changed, but I prefer mine. 'That's A Duck' and 'Guybrush Floating Theme' - which is the official name, according to the end credits, taken as it is from MI2)

Solo denies copying me.

What do you think?

I'm not asking for money, or anything ridiculous. My list must have been some help at some point, and for that I'd just like Solo to admit it.

Sound petty, don't I? It's a bloody great achievement, very handy, those Soundtracks. I especially like the back/front covers. Ungrateful, I'm not, just so you know.

Hey, Tingler... good to see you in this thread now... I really would like to know what the other people think about this little "difference in opinion".

As my defense, I've gotta say, I don't deny that those track-names were made up by you, it's absolutely possible that I completed the track list from the ScummRevisited annotation file with your track names.

I just think it's a little over the top crediting you for coming up with them...

But as I said, let's ask the public.

The credit list for the tracks should go on for a long time, with Michael Land et al at the top of the list. I don't think anyone cares who named the tracks, as they all have real names anyway. If there was a credit list anywhere to do with these unofficial soundtracks, I wouldn't read it. If The Tingler came up with some of the names for the tracks, the least you can do is say so in the "comments" section of the ID Tag.

Why would Jan need to re-upload the MP3s?

On a side note, I've got to ask... why do they take so long to download? I've tried on various different computers, and they all download the MP3s to various degrees of slow.

I did prevail, and now have a decent Monkey Island Melodies (comprising of music from COMI and EFMI mainly, with a few select tracks from MI2 to finish it off). I've been waiting for this moment for a long time, as this is first time I've had access to a CD rewriter.

A momentous occasion. Of course, I could have done it without this site, but it sure as hell made it a lot easier.

Also, how come you have so many different names, Jan?

Archived