Home

"LucasArts Soundtracks" - the site is finally UP

Laserschwert

Yeah, I guess the game just uses the original soundtracks...

It's strange: People keep asking me for soundtracks like "Rebel Assault", the "Jedi Knight" series or several "Phantom Menace" games... they all just use the movie soundtracks.

I should put an FAQ on my site...

Regarding the "pirating" issue, the music I put up is all either taken from CDs that aren't available anymore, or ripped directly from the games. Unfortunately some of these cues can still be found on the "Best of LucasArts Soundtracks"-CD (some of them in different versions though). In fact this does make me feel a little better about it, though still it isn't legal at all. It's unnecessary to start a discussion about something that clear.

Still, without trying to sound like a martyr, I feel that it's some kind of "evidence of incapacity" on behalf of LucasArts, that the fans have to do their job. I mean, is it just me, or is there more support of the fanbase offered by other companies? Without the need to look for an example, my page fits perfectly here: These soundtracks are worth being made public OFFICIALLY... either for purchase (I'd be GLAD to buy them) or in the form of downloads, if the demand isn't strong enough to justify producing CDs.

BUT, I might be wrong here, because LucasArts hasn't yet taken any actions to shut my site down. Maybe they don't know about it (though I doubt that), or they simply don't care... the latter one leaving me double-minded - because it's sad in one way, but great in another way.

EDIT:

Now they have.

Though not entirely. They asked my to take down all "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones" related content, since the copyrights to these soundtracks do not lie with LucasArts. (I guess Fox and Paramount have a say here as well). Maybe even Factor5 (the "Rogue Squadron" series) and Bioware ("Knights of the Old Republic") had some complaints.

Sorry.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is very interesting to note that they only asked you to take down Starwars and Indiana Jones. You did say that this could be due to other companies other than LucasArts and I'd like to hope so. But I don't really see what they have to lose by having Dark Forces and Fate of Atlantis on your site. Honestly I don't see who would be losing money on something like this, even if it's an ownership issue. Oh well.

:max:

Agreed. I could understand it if the soundtracks that were asked to be taken down contained already published music like 'Star Wars' which is owned by Bantha Music I think.

I wouldn't be surprised if the department that send you the mail didn't know enough about the music in all the games to know they include original music, and that they (the department) just assume it's all taken directly from the movie soundtracks.

I think that they're just referring to stuff available on soundtracks, i.e. Indiana Jones theme, Star Wars theme. Original music will probably be okay... I don't really want to see Emperor's Tomb or Knights of the Old Republic go down... but certainly not Infernal Machine, I haven't done that one yet and that's the Holy Grail of LucasArts Music!

I think it's actually a John Williams thing. LucasArts couldn't put out a soundtrack to Emperor's Tomb without paying a zillion dollars because it's derived from a work by John Williams. I suspect that's the same or similar reasoning at work here.

That's a very valid question - one that I can't figure out an answer to either.

I wonder what the answer would be if you asked them? - Though it often seems that LEC has nonsense autoresponses lying around when you ask them questions.

I wonder if it is a John Williams thing? That would also mean that he would have rights to the JP3 score over Don Davis who actually wrote the score (but with included JW themes). Does that seem viable?

P.S. Told you I'd be up and running in no time;)

As you said, and I agree, those that asked you to take the SW and IJ content off the site probably didn't know the difference between the John Williams score and original game midi music.

To them it may seem like all the same music, but I really don't think it is. Maybe if they know the difference between the original score music, and the original game midi music you'd be able to get those great redone midis back up.

Anyone can buy the original score music from a music store, but you can't really find redone game midi music.

That sucks. I was in the middle of downloading Infernal Machine. I would have had it completely downloaded in one night if not for my dastardly 56k connection. Man.

I wish more composers would follow Bill Brown's example and put samples of their stuff on their own websites. (Bill Brown is the composer of the Rainbow Six series and virtually every Tom Clancy game, in case you didn't know.)

I guess it's encouraging that they didn't make you take down the Lucasarts-owned soundtracks, though.

As to the speculation over John Williams' involvement, I don't know how much control the composer has over who owns their music. On the Simpsons Season 3 DVD, they said in order to get permission to use the Indiana Jones music for "Bart's Friend Falls In Love", they had to contact Steven Spielberg. So I guess he owns those rights, or owned them however many years ago that episode was made. Who owns them now? Who knows?

- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

- Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine

- Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb

- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

- Star Wars: Force Commander

- Star Wars: Battle for Naboo

- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II - Rogue Leader

- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III - Rebel Strike

- Star Wars: Dark Forces

I think the rights to the music LucasArts requested be taken down are a lot more complicated legally than you guys think. I don't quite understand why some of you are acting like you know everything.

I doubt LucasArts is somehow confused. Like I said, they couldn't put out a soundtrack to the Emperor's Tomb at least in part because Williams doesnt want game music or things like that based on his work being released outside of the game or whatever. Its apparently a stipulation of using things derived from his material... but that's just one random example that I heard somewhere.

I'm sure there are a lot of other reasons that the things immediately asked down were the ones based on Lucas film properties and not LucasArts games properties.

Taking random guesses at the problem and then arriving at the conclusion that "LucasArts is probably confused" is really ridiculous.

Originally posted by daltysmilth

As to the speculation over John Williams' involvement, I don't know how much control the composer has over who owns their music.

Good lord. I didn't mean to imply that Williams was personally involved in this or something if that's your implication.

What I was implying is that the music for the original games, like Day of the Tentacle or Monkey Island, LucasArts 100% owns all the rights to those. There are no licensing issues with them whatsoever. However, the games that are based off of the Star Wars or Indy licenses, LucasArts games only has some control over them, especially assets like the musical score.

Even though LucasArts is closely related to LucasFilm, they still have to license the rights to some things, and my guess is that the musical score is one of them.

Who knows. Maybe in the future they will request Jan takes down all the soundtracks. That would suck and be a bit of a stupid move on their part, but it's within their legal rights.

I think its very likely that the reason they immediately asked for the SW and Indy stuff to go down is because they don't have any control over whether or not that stuff can stay there. They don't want to have to tangle with the rightful owners (be it George, John Williams, Fox, whoever) coming and knocking on their door about why music that they licensed is randomly appearing for download online.

I don't know for sure if that's what's going on, but to me that sounds far more real than "I bet they got confused."

Originally posted by Jake

They don't want to have to tangle with the rightful owners (be it George, John Williams, Fox, whoever) coming and knocking on their door about why music that they licensed is randomly appearing for download online.

[/b]

let those rightful owners come to Laeschwart. Why should lucasarts feel and be held responsible?

Originally posted by Jake

Even though LucasArts is closely related to LucasFilm, they still have to license the rights to some things, and my guess is that the musical score is one of them.

I agree. A lot of people think "Hey LucasArts, Lucasfilm, Industrial Light & Magic, Skywalker Sound and so on are all the same. They all belong to George Lucas. So why do they pretend there are differences?". But that's not how it is. The divisions have to be financially successful individually or else might get shut down. If person one is employed at LucasArts and does some work for ILM, there will be an invoice from LucasArts to ILM.

Altogether I think this time LucasArts isn't the bad guy... I guess it would've run much less smoothly for me, if the holder of the copyrights would've contacted me directly. I think the fact that this gets handled through LucasArts spares me some serious legal trouble.

Again: LucasArts didn't ask me to take down THEIR stuff.

I personally find it odd that LEC asked for ALL of the star wars and Indy music to be taken down, I mean, the DF soundtrack I made is also up on the DF mod for JA website, and they've never been asked to take it down - and LEC knows about that mod and the site so...

Archived