Home

"LucasArts Soundtracks" - the site is finally UP

Laserschwert

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few days ago.

Actually Jake contacted me about two weeks ago, because Ronda Scott from LucasArts' public relations department has talked to him about several things, and one of them was my site. Basically Jake prepared me, because Ronda said, that she was going to mail me about it.

And so she did.

WARNING- LENGTHY, RAMBLING POST- FEEL FREE TO SKIP

Well, I'm sure Lucasarts is doing more than they have to. I mean, they would be completely in their right to ask you to take down all the files, not just the Star Wars and Indiana Jones ones. Or Lucasarts could have just contacted the copyright holders, and they might not have been as reasonable. I mean, just look at the recent lawsuits against websites that just had the lyrics of songs. I know the law is the law, but it seems to me that your site wasn't much of a financial threat to John Williams or anyone he's affiliated with. It's not like being able to download the Dark Forces soundtrack for free on your site is going to affect the sales of, say, the rerelease of the Star Wars Special Edition soundtracks. I know that's nothing to do with copyrights, but in all humility, I think it's a good point I just thought I'd point that out.

I kind of wish maybe Lucasarts had said something like "have all those Star Wars and Indiana Jones files down in two weeks" or something like that. Still, I suppose that would have been less friendly than explaining that they don't own the copyrights and that it would be in your best interest to take down all the stuff they don't own the copyright to.

Another thing, I don't quite understand why you can create a midi file that's a note for note transcription of something composed by someone else and it's okay, but if you make an mp3 from that midi, you're violating the copyright? Shouldn't it work both ways? Shouldn't all the sites that have Star Wars or Indiana Jones midi files be force to take those files down? (I'm not saying I want this to happen, I'm just saying there seems to be a double standard.) Does any of what I'm saying make any sense?

Honnestly I think it's too bad that you had to remove StarWars and Indy musics.

And I think I'm not the only one to think that ;)

But I can understand that; after all musics of these games are pretty similar to music CDs that are still being sold so...

I just hope that some arrangement can be found with copyright holders if you are trying to find an arrangement. (Yeah, I just re-finished Indy4 and I have to say that I'd love being able to listen to these musics :p)

In any case, I think LucasArts is pretty nice to allow the other MP3s: they could have asked for the site to be shut down.

And I want to thank you for the site, too: it's sooo great to listen to these musics again and this time in a pretty high quality :)

Originally posted by Laserschwert

Yeah, Full Throttle will be added eventually. But after that there's not much more left to add.

Armed & Dangerous

Secret Weapons Over Normandy

Gladius

Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Afterlife

Mortimer and the Riddles of the Medallion

RTX Red Rock

Ballblazer Champions

Herc's Adventures

Wrath Unleashed

Maniac Mansion

Finished Zak McKracken

Options are limited, but there are still games out there not Star Wars. Might not be the best music, but it's there.

Oh yeah, love the site. Shame about the lose of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Liked that music.

SWON and RTX would be part of the games that walk the line. They have official soundtracks (2 CDs in SWON's case) and it would be so-so legitimate at best to publish their music on the net.

If someone could get their hands on Armed & Dangerous' music, now that would be cool! It might lead to more difficulty, since the game is only published not developed by LucasArts. Don't know if it isn't Planet Moon, who own the rights to the music.

Originally posted by Alien426

If someone could get their hands on Armed & Dangerous' music, now that would be cool! It might lead to more difficulty, since the game is only published not developed by LucasArts. Don't know if it isn't Planet Moon, who own the rights to the music.

Do you mean music as in any kind of music from the game, or a whole game soundtrack? =) If 10 songs will be fine, you know where to look. http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com/original-art/music.shtml The Official site has about 6 songs in its internal flash music player, and Planet Moon gave "Planet Moon Central" 6 songs as promotion in a 176 MB zip file with about 6 songs in wav format. You can try to download it here (the javascript might not work with your firewall or something): http://www.3ddownloads.com/planetmooncentral/AD/music_story_art/AnD_music.zip Unfortunally there is dataerrors in two of the files. And yeah, I agree a 30 track (just guessing) game soundtrack would be cool.

Mojo's had three mp3's from Psychonauts ever since they returned from the downtime, with that Peter McConnel interview. I can't listen to them now cos they're on my external HD, but as far as I remember they're very DOTT.

What about a complete or at least expanded Sam & Max Hit the Road soundtrack? I'd go for that. Or how about soundtracks from Lucasarts/Totally Games' other WWII flight sim games? I'd be interested to hear the music from Secret Weapons of the Luftwafte, for instance.

And in case you thought I was done whining about the Star Wars/Indiana Jones music, is there any way you could contact the copyright holders and work out some kind of deal? Perhaps if you offered only to put up a limited number of the soundtracks, or only putting up a limited number of the tracks, or something. In the meantime, perhaps we could all get an online petition going. Just a thought.

Also, I suppose there's no chance of getting an X-Wing or Tie Fighter Soundtrack now, is there?

Regarding Sam & Max: Yeah, get the one from SoundFontIsland... it's great. I have already started doing an extended one myself, using Zaarins MIDIs.

Both the "X-Wing" and "TIE Fighter" soundtracks are still in the making. Kenneth is working on them for quite a while now, and he keeps improving them more and more. I guess I can't host them on my site now, but since his "Dark Forces" is still available on the "Dark Forces MOD for JKA"-page, I guess his new ones might get hosted there as well. Don't ask me how long it'll take though... he's having some "issues" right now.

Concerning that copyright thing, I don't think contacting the right owners would change anything. And if we would be starting a petition, it shouldn't be about my site being allowed to host the music, but making the soundtracks OFFICIALLY available... either as purchasable CDs (I would definitely buy them), or as downloads on the official page. And I mean COMPLETE soundtracks... not a handful of tracks, as they're doing it right now with a few games.

And the problem with the older LucasFilmGames / LucasArts games is that they had either very little music, or very low quality files. I have installed "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe" recently, and I managed to run it with DosBox. The music does work, but it's veeeery little, and the quality is... modest. Somebody would have to redo the themes... and I am no musician, even if I have some experience in MIDI-sequencing.

Originally posted by lagagaffe

Personnally, I was disapointed to notice that the music of the man who wants to commit a suicide in DOTT is missing of the soundtracks (it's my favorite !). But it's fabulous at all ! (thank you one more time !)

Isn't that song, the same as one of the four Snuckeys themes? =)

Yep, Dwayne's theme from "Day of the Tentacle" is one of the Snuckey themes.

Unfortunately the DOTT soundtrack is already maxed out... almost 79 minutes... Dwayne's theme just doesn't fit on there anymore (and I don't want to lose any of the other themes). But as I said, I am going to do the extended Sam & Max soundtrack, so the theme will be on that one.

It's not only YOUR favourite site... it's LucasArts' as well!

Arrgh!

What bothers me most is that there was never something like a "thank you" from any LucasArts side... I mean, all I ask for is something like "Hey, we really like your site... it's great to see the fans getting inspired by our work. Unfortunately you can't have some of that music up, sorry." That would have been OK... that would sound genuinely nice.

But NOOOO... it has to be ****ing robot talk... "Comply, or we'll have to terminate you."

Yeah, I love LucasArts.

But NOOOO... it has to be ****ing robot talk... "Comply, or we'll have to terminate you."

Yeah, I love LucasArts.

Hey, lawyerspeak sounds the same whoever emits it. ;) I like your site though. And to think, I was wondering how to get the tracks out of FOCOM almost ever since I bought it... :D

Hello, I am a noobie to the Lucas Forums webring, but I am NO noobie to the Monkey Island series. I really love the MI2 soundtracks, they are my favorite. Now, I love the fact that the tracks are revamped, so-to-speak from the originals, well since the original sound bytes were MIDI, and since when you rip them, they are in tiny pieces, I want to give you major props for compiling, or finding the completed versions, and putting them all in one place. I also noticed that the SMI tracks, are differant than what I have. I have the original CD version, and the Monkey Madness, and they both have the same tracks, but on the site, I didn't notice them. Are they the same as the Amigas? Also, I love the high quality MP3's, but I have dial-up, and it takes about ten minutes to download one song, will this be differant in the future, like I was reading the forum, and there was a forementioned ZIP file archive coming soon(maybe) and so I was just wanting to know when this will be up. Thank you SO much for updating my daydreams that I've been having since 1993.

--MD

PS, I love the artwork, especially the cd covers, you could put them in the ZIP also.

What bothers me most is that there was never something like a "thank you" from any LucasArts side... I mean, all I ask for is something like "Hey, we really like your site... it's great to see the fans getting inspired by our work. Unfortunately you can't have some of that music up, sorry." That would have been OK... that would sound genuinely nice.

Dude. You are the ****ing best webmaster ever. The best music LucasArts fan since Serge/Telarium/Luc Gilbertz (LGH) work on the incredible midis and info. LucasArts social life is like a ****ing retarded 8 year old hiding in its closet playing with star wars figures, not haveing a CLUE what to do with its fans. Get a ****ing BRAIN UPGRADE LEC. Now I've been harsh enough.

Originally posted by masterdebator

I also noticed that the SMI tracks, are differant than what I have. I have the original CD version, and the Monkey Madness, and they both have the same tracks, but on the site, I didn't notice them.

That's strange, since, as far as I know, those are the tracks from the MI CD-version... not the Amiga-version.

Originally posted by masterdebator

... and there was a forementioned ZIP file archive coming soon(maybe) and so I was just wanting to know when this will be up.

Since this would require me to put each soundtrack up twice, I don't think I'll do that. After all, JUST GET A DOWNLOAD MANAGER... makes it a lot easier.

Regarding that legal talk, well, I finally got a reply from Ronda Scott:

Ronda Scott - LucasArts Public Relations

We have a relationship with a company who has the rights to publish our soundtracks. It is, from what I understand, though I am no lawyer, the responsibility of LucasArts to protect this company's interests. I believe they contacted our legal department to see if we were aware of your site.

For most of the music created specifically for LucasArts, you are probably right, we own those rights. But if we've signed a deal with someone to be the distributor for that music, we have to protect that relationship.

To give her some credit, being a PR-person is mostly a very unthankful job, and especially in cases like this, when it comes to legal issues, she has to deal with topics that are not really her profession.

Archived