Home

"LucasArts Soundtracks" - the site is finally UP

Laserschwert

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I was just thinking. Would it be possible or kosher (for some of the Star Wars/Indiana Jones games) to put up instructions for how people could make their own soundtracks using materials they might have around the home? Sure it's not the same as being able to download them from your site, but still...

Originally posted by The Tingler

Any plans on doing ...

While we're on that subject, the hopeless fangirl in me has to ask...Jan, you mentioned back on page three something about adding the Full Throttle soundtrack (and I'm assuming you meant the orchestral stuff, not the Gone Jackals' work) sometime in the future. Is that still a go? Just curious. :)

The life I am talking about is what (probably) all of you have already up and running. I am moving out of my parents' place for the first time... moving to a new city because of the job I've found... living on my own now... leaving all my friends somewhat behind...

Not all of this is stuff I was looking forward to, and it doesn't exactly help me getting rid of my long-time depression... but as frightening as it might look now, it'll eventually turn out great... at least that's what I hope for.

I know, this all sounds pretty ridiculous, given that I am already 23... but I guess I've always been somewhat "late" on stuff like this.

Wait... why the heck am I telling all this stuff?

Jan, I've recently gone through sort of the same thing. It's hard being away from all of my friends and many of the familiar elements of my life, but on the other hand, it is nice to be free of my parents' controlling grasp. You'll do fine. And hey, you've still got all of us here at Mojo if you need us.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is slow, but man I don't care. I just needed to say how eternally thankful I am for this site hosting all this music. Especially for The Dig.

Seriously, Jan, you are doing a very very great thing. It would be a terrible loss for music this beautifully crafted to just fade away into the haze of gaming history. I've made it a point to pimp this site (especially The Dig soundtrack) to everyone I meet. So if you've been noticing a rise in downloads lately, it's my fault, good sir!

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I only have internet access at work, but as soon as my home internet-access (4 Mbit, yay!!) is up and running - which should be sometime next month - I'll start working on the page again.

I would be really interested in putting your Afterlife-soundtrack up, and regarding that DOTT-files... any info on that?

Furthermore I am going to put the CD-covers back up for the soundtracks I had to take down, plus I am thinking about adding ripping instruction to them (at least the ones that can be ripped from PC-versions), which of course includes "Knights of the Old Republic", and the new "Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords".

Adding to that I'll add cover art and links for the "Republic Commando" soundtrack (which is downloadable at the official site, although quite frankly I don't think it's that great, musicwise). Oh, "Full Throttle" will be added too, eventually.

Regarding "KotOR II": It's nice that the PC-version got the gaming-console-typical music-menu, but it's far more sad that the music quality is just 32KHz mono... I bet the X-Box-version has the music at 44KHz stereo, just as "KotOR" did.

Hi Lasersword, is it possible for you to extract the music from X-Box version of KOTOR2 somehow? I got seriously frustrated with Obsidian when I heard the low quality music in the PC version, and I'd like to replace it.

If it's too much of a hassle, then nevermind - I'll just keep harrassing Obsidian with mails until they do something about it:)

Hey, Ken... nice to hear from you... any news on your soundtracks? :D:p

Anyway, regarding KotOR2, as you might have noticed I wrote "I bet the X-Box version has...", since I don't have an X-Box, nor do I know anybody who does. (Actually I know NO ONE where I live now... but that's a completely different sad story). And if I had, I don't think I would manage to extract the music from it, given that it seemed nearly impossible for the X-Box music from "Emperor's Tomb", which already was MP3 (though obviously someone did it). By the way, the X-Box-music from KotOR1 was stored as 192Kbit MP3s (as opposed to the 128Kbit files from the PC-version). I would have replaced the files on my site, eventually... at least that was the plan before LucasArts' intervention.

The music for KOTOR2 seems... alright, so far. A couple of tracks reminscient of certain John Williams battle scenes (although once again there seems to be a total lack of Williams' 'Dark Side' Theme), but mostly just 'alright'. Ambience, mainly.

I quite liked a couple of the Republic Commando tracks, though.

LaserSchwert: That's ok, don't worry about it - I know someone who has an X-Box, maybe if it's a game he'll get I can borrow it - and if nothing else, just run the music into the line-in in my soundcard and record it. It might lose some quality, but it would be prett easy considering that there's a menu where you can play all the tracks.

Tingler: I agree that there's an almost complete absense of strong williamsesque themes in the score (though I'm not a fan of the Jeremy Soule's for the first, he did write the interesting Sith theme) - still, it would be nice to have it in desent stereo and bitrate.

EDIT: uhm, ehehe - about Tie Fighter - I was waiting to do it until I'd get the upgrade for EWQLSO gold pro, however, I resently installed GigaStudio3, which screwed up kontakt, I had to choose between one of them and I went with GS3, so instead of Gold Pro, I'm now considering buying the entire Sonic Implants Symphonic Complete, which should be available March 1st. It WILL be completed... eventually :p

Hey, I just noticed this since I made my own Escape from Monkey Island Soundtrack using the files I ripped from the game, but unless I am much mistaken, the track you have listed as "Closing Medley" on the EMI soundtrack is actually, I believe, actually a cue from one of the cutscenes. Specifically, the cutscene leading up to the Ultimate Monkey Kombat. I seem to recall Clint Bajakian saying in an interview that he was particularly proud of that piece of music. Anyway, I was wondering how you got that cue. I don't recall being able to find cutscene music in with the music files, and if it was there, I would assume it would still have voices and sound effects like the sound files from the Curse of Monkey Island cutscenes.

I thought the K2 music was awesome. I was getting sick of the same kind of scoring in all the StarWars games, and K2 was very refreshing. While some none of the battle music had much of a listening appeal, the "Ambient" music was superb, especially the Ebon Hawk music. This is all just my opinion, though.;)

Originally posted by daltysmilth

Hey, I just noticed this since I made my own Escape from Monkey Island Soundtrack using the files I ripped from the game, but unless I am much mistaken, the track you have listed as "Closing Medley" on the EMI soundtrack is actually, I believe, actually a cue from one of the cutscenes. Specifically, the cutscene leading up to the Ultimate Monkey Kombat. I seem to recall Clint Bajakian saying in an interview that he was particularly proud of that piece of music. Anyway, I was wondering how you got that cue. I don't recall being able to find cutscene music in with the music files, and if it was there, I would assume it would still have voices and sound effects like the sound files from the Curse of Monkey Island cutscenes.

As I recall, I think one of the music composers put the piece up on his site, and then LucasArts asked him to remove it.

Archived