Home

which class to choose?

-st-carebear

Originally posted by Toa Tahu

Well Clemme,sorry to dissappoint you,but there's no such thing as a hybrid Jedi class.

I think he means the Sentinel class, which is sort of a hybrid between the guardian and the consular.

I'm playing with a soldier/guardian, because the combat in the game is a blast. :)

As for choosing what to play, it really comes down to personal preference. You should be able to be successful, no matter what you choose.

The Scout/Sentinel is the one that I do NOT want to play. My typical character - from Jedi Knight, JA, NWN, BG2, etc is the Paladin / Obiwan type - currently being played by Prime as a Soldier/Guardian.

My last time through NWN (never finished ... Nov 18th got in the way ;) ) I was playing a Sorcerer. So I decided to go the Scoundrel / Consular. If you go this way, plan to use *your* wits much as your character has to use his/hers. I'm finding it very satisfying. I'm also sure I'd find the 'Paladin' path fun ... the game has plenty of cool action to go around.

Now there isn't the breadth of characters as in NWN - for instance, in my last run I was dropping 150HP fireballs, but 5 or so HP with melee, and my barbarian friend was dropping 50HP melee hits. In KotOR, *everyone* is a Jedi, it is just a matter of where you put your emphasis and how you build your party. And building your team, much as in BG2, does matter (at least so far) - especially in tough fights.

Mike

I know, I over-simplified - there are reasons to want to be both a scout and a sentinel. Scout gets will-saves and built-in implants and uncanny dodge (monk-like), and sentinel gets immunity for free. Personally either the Paladin or Sorcerer path appeals to me ...

Mike

Originally posted by Prime

I think he means the Sentinel class, which is sort of a hybrid between the guardian and the consular.

Thx Prime.

That was what I meant with the Hybrid class.

Anyways, I like being able to both aggressive and defensive, and from what I've read the Sentinel is the way to go then.

-Clemme

Originally posted by Clemme w/Stick

Thx Prime.

That was what I meant with the Hybrid class.

Anyways, I like being able to both aggressive and defensive, and from what I've read the Sentinel is the way to go then.

-Clemme

Keep in mind that offensive/defensive capabilities can very greatly even in individual classes. For example, if you are a guardian, having a high dex can give you a high defense and high attack bonus with a lightsaber. On the other hand, if you could also go with high strength and thus lots of damage and high attack bonus with the saber. There are also the different lightsaber styles which affect these things.

I'm just saying that you have lots of options regardless of what classes you choose.

I'm just saying that you have lots of options regardless of what classes you choose.

Exactly, I'm a 'wimpy' Scoundrel/Consular, but I lead the offensives and don't take any crap from anyone ... I had a easy time with what I expected to be a difficult mid-game solo battle. [spoiler free ;) ]

Mike

I know that.

I'm choosing the hybrid for the learning process of the game. With the hybrid you get to experience both the Soldier and the Scoundrel. That way you also get to know each class, and also their bonuses....or am I compltely off here?

-Clemme

• 4 weeks later...
My typical character - from Jedi Knight, JA, NWN, BG2, etc is the Paladin / Obiwan type - currently being played by Prime as a Soldier/Guardian.

Hmm... reading this, I'd have to suggest that Obi-Wan is more of a Jedi Sentinel than Guardian. He definitely takes that role as the lone sentinel scouting the far reaches of the galaxy in AOTC; and in ANH, we see him living the life of a wanderer in the desert. Sounds like a scout/sentinel class to me. I mean just read this description of a Sentinel from a guide and tell me it doesn't sound like Obi-Wan in Episode II...

Fulfilling the role of investigator and spy, the Jedi Sentinel is the primary information-gathering tool of the Jedi council. Equally adept at combat, persuasion and stealth, the Jedi Sentinel is the most likely to infiltrate places of darkness though how he is affected by what he sees is a mystery to all but him.

Qui-Gon and Mace Windu would seem more appropriate representations of the Jedi Guardian, with Yoda and the Emperor fitting the Jedi Consular profile. Luke could probably be considered a Sentinel as well, especially later on in the novels. I'd also propose that Darth Maul's character was a Sentinel when considering his actions and combat style in TPM.

Realize this was an old thread, but came across it while doing some research on the Jedi Sentinel class and wanted to clarify for those considering the Sentinel...

Archived