Home

Enhanced Ideas: New Force Powers

Vile

ok I want to add some new force powers into the mix here at OJP...I have only 2 good ones as of now. I also plan on coding these powers into the OJP and doing the animations for them (hopefuly :p)

1: Force Levitate = allows you to levitate an object (if possible) or yourself, can be good for jumping off of large places and preventing damage from being taken, also there are other things I can think of using it for :)...the level of it should determine how much force energy you suck up while levitating so as the higher the level the longer you can do it.

2: Force Blast (maby different name) = you make a huge burst of force energy around you that pushes all around you away...the level of it can determine the power of the push and the radius of effect {for the cost I say around 100 so I cant be abused and is only good for those desperate situations or even better run into a big fight and use it :D}

that is all I have right now so if you have suggestions to the ones I listed or you have ideas on new ones post it here!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about putting the howler sonic animation to good use?

mindtrick extra levels?

cowering

some type of mind static (sonic anim)

illusions

etc.

I'd like to see a stronger version of push that knocks people off their feet and sends them flying backwards. (good counter would be NickR's force fall slow down)

As well as implement level four pull that kyle uses to pull sabers out of hands.

Oops didn't phrase that right. The sonic pain anims.

BOTH_SONICPAIN_START

BOTH_SONICPAIN_HOLD

BOTH_SONICPAIN_END

_Humaniod.

;)

We want to make the Force a powerful ally, not the end all of weapons

And of course. But some have a greater understanding of the force. Such as Dooku and Yoda. A nice push after Anakin gets his hand cut off would go great in JKA. Which I'd also like to see. I right/left handed option with the other hand being whopped off not leading to death.

From what i gather, levitate shoudl be a telekinetic power a la vader throwing objects at luke in esb. Sounds good to me.

Maybe the DF2: JK thing is what we are looking for.. you point at the enemy and nearby objects are thrown at the same. I'd go for a slower throw than in JK... making the objects hitable and also to make the power more of a distraction than a way to inflict pain.

Also on this... you must either add throwable objects to the game, or generate chunks when the power is used to make it look like they are being torn of the walls and thrown.

IF the first option is used, by using the same power on the objects isntead of targeting an enemy, would allow you to move them freely like you would move an enemy with grip.

The level of telekenisis or levitate would determine the number of objects to be thrown either in the first system or the second (regarding if are placed throwable objects or generated on the spot)

As for force blast... sound more like a 360 degrees push. Might be usefull in an FFA... but i'd go for a high force power cost as well.

Also im agasint dbz like powers obviously.

The persuation decoys and mind tricks would be a sweet idea and i'm all thumbs up on that.

Just sugestions for the mind trick powers:

*Decoy... renders you invisible to the selected attacker and generates a mirror image running in the opposite or random direction... should be seamless so you dont know if u are being tricked or not without using force sight.

*Confusion... causes the enemy to loose total control of movements by temporarily rebinding the movement keys. Left = right and up = down and vice versa. vision should become fuzzy and rippled as if the guy is drunk.

*Charm (as the D&D version is called) causes enemy player to target and shoot at his fellow teammates or any other player besides the user

*"you DONT want to attack me"... not exactly a force power name but i just didnt found a good one yet... similar to Movie Battles... the enemy can't fire or attack at the general direction of the user of this power.

these are just sugestion thrown in here... use what u like.

Also about general force powers... would it be a good idea to get rid of the standard light vs dark side powers and go for the MOTS system where you can just pick the powers you want and forget force sides?

Force power costs still apply obviously, and the greater powers cost more as usual, of course you'd have to split the powers into tiers. Lightning and protection are master level powers for instance and if there were 4 master powers to choose from, one could only pick 2 out of the 4... as opposed to a low level force powers aka the first tier, where there would be 8 powers fer intance and you could pick 4 or 5 of them.

Cheers

From what i gather, levitate shoudl be a telekinetic power a la vader throwing objects at luke in esb. Sounds good to me.

Force throw would be great to have. We'd need an appropiate amount of throwable debrie avaliable in maps though - which is independant of any code changes...

...alternate mind trick powers

I've ended taking out the *"you DONT want to attack me" version of Mind Trick from Movie Battles.

While I think - in principle - it was a farily neat feature, and was more realistic than invisibility, players found it to be fustrating.

Basically, any force power which makes your enemy unable to attack you and / or forces them to take actions which they do not want to take will not be liked. (Ive learned this from experience!)

...so I think this would also count out the Charm power. I think that one would drive the person being charmed and their team-mates round the bend!

I think Confusion is OK, as long as the 'dis-orientation' is not random. So if it's swapping the control axis and making the screen blurry / distorted, I think that's a good idea..

I REALLY like the idea of Decoy. If done right, that would be a GREAT power :)

Also about general force powers... would it be a good idea to get rid of the standard light vs dark side powers and go for the MOTS system where you can just pick the powers you want and forget force sides?

I could be OK for OJP, but I wouldn't personally want that for MB

hmm about the force fall idea, that could be tied into my levitate idea? as I would like to use it as like Dooku does in the Clone Wars cartoon (if you watch it) it could allow you to use your force jump and than use the levitate to float there (till force power runs out) and can be used for falling from tall places and such. Now for the Force Bast, I think Force Wave is better, yea about 100% usage of force power but it 'pushes' all around you.

Now on advanced mind tricks how we going to differentiate between what the trick does?

also on a last note the force levitate can be tied to the telekinesis power as to make levitate more usefull, and I like the first idea with the second now have the ability to pick up 'free' objects (like land speeders and other NPC's) and move/throw them is good but also have it that you can throw stuff at people (the off the walls and crap thing spawning junk, force lightning logic but with debris that works like the fletchet gun). so Force Levitate could be a more dynamic force power to have, also maby make the levels 1-3 change it as in you cant pick up independent objects at 1 but can at 2 and better at 3 and can only throw light debris at people at 1 and bigger as you go up to 3, same for the personal levitation at 1 you suck force power to levitate like a race car with a broken gas valve and as you get higher in level the more effecient or more time you get to use it. :)

I think that, instead of using the levitate as a means for stopping fall damage, we can use it with the meditate animation to make a a more balanced level 3 force heal. Level 1 force heal using the kneel animation and level 2 using the meditate but no levitation. That would look cool!

Originally posted by BloodRiot

Maybe the DF2: JK thing is what we are looking for.. you point at the enemy and nearby objects are thrown at the same. I'd go for a slower throw than in JK... making the objects hitable and also to make the power more of a distraction than a way to inflict pain.

Also on this... you must either add throwable objects to the game, or generate chunks when the power is used to make it look like they are being torn of the walls and thrown.

IF the first option is used, by using the same power on the objects isntead of targeting an enemy, would allow you to move them freely like you would move an enemy with grip.

The level of telekenisis or levitate would determine the number of objects to be thrown either in the first system or the second (regarding if are placed throwable objects or generated on the spot)

As for force blast... sound more like a 360 degrees push. Might be usefull in an FFA... but i'd go for a high force power cost as well.

Also im agasint dbz like powers obviously.

The persuation decoys and mind tricks would be a sweet idea and i'm all thumbs up on that.

Just sugestions for the mind trick powers:

*Decoy... renders you invisible to the selected attacker and generates a mirror image running in the opposite or random direction... should be seamless so you dont know if u are being tricked or not without using force sight.

*Confusion... causes the enemy to loose total control of movements by temporarily rebinding the movement keys. Left = right and up = down and vice versa. vision should become fuzzy and rippled as if the guy is drunk.

*Charm (as the D&D version is called) causes enemy player to target and shoot at his fellow teammates or any other player besides the user

*"you DONT want to attack me"... not exactly a force power name but i just didnt found a good one yet... similar to Movie Battles... the enemy can't fire or attack at the general direction of the user of this power.

these are just sugestion thrown in here... use what u like.

Force power costs still apply obviously, and the greater powers cost more as usual, of course you'd have to split the powers into tiers. Lightning and protection are master level powers for instance and if there were 4 master powers to choose from, one could only pick 2 out of the 4... as opposed to a low level force powers aka the first tier, where there would be 8 powers fer intance and you could pick 4 or 5 of them.

Cheers

I was thinking the exact thing.

Another possible way to do the force levitation is to make it like a non-damaging form of grip that last a bit longer. It would work with some limitations for other players, but you could have alot of power over crates, objects on ground, etc.

yeah I know and make it than you can use it on your own team (to get to real high places or for tactical reasons) I know that n00bs will try and use it on there own team to kill them that is why I can have a escape option for friendly people that it is used on, maby that they use duck or jump and they escape..or just have it not work on allies at all.....I do want to have it work on your own character :)

BTW I am the one doing the code and possibly the animations (if I can do them, not very good at animating) for what is posted here ;)

I wouldn't get rid of the distinction between light and dark sides. It just doesn't fit that a jedi could use sith lightning and excuse it because he was "justified". As for mind trick powers, I think lightside should concetrate on ones that involve illusions and subtle influence, whereas the darkside should have powers that allow them to dominate other player minds. Also I think absorbing energy blasts with a free hand should be a possible power. As for using the rank system to determine what force powers are available to you I think that is a good idea. As for levitating objects I agree the easiest thing would be to have level 3 grip made so it doesn't do damage and maybe get rid of the clenched fist animation too. Just my two cent for today.

I think force jump should be made into a selectable power, in the movies you never see people strafe jumping 50 feet in the air flying extremely fast.

I think there should be more passive force powers. Force powers that increase damage on sabers, or run speed, damage reduction, increased force regen time etc... All passive, so they're always on.

I'm not a coder, but I can provide a little input on Force powers - I'm a huge geek, so I know quite a bit...

Okay, as far as Jedi go, they can use lightning in justified situations - but it's different stuff: knocks you out or disorients you and stuff (Jacen Solo does it in NJO).

Absorbing - not many Jedi can do that. Yoda and the Halcyon lines come to mind - so make it specialized, as in costly. And lower powers use saber block anim like in SP (it actually blocks a little of it) instead of free hand.

Just suggestions, but from a strong EU standpoint.

As for Force Throw, is there any way you could use powerup items (medpacs, shields etc) as throwable objects?

Wow, that's a great idea for CTF/TFFA.

I think that you guys should make force push/pull not have such a wide arc. I think they should be something you actually have to aim to be good. Then you should up the power of it a little more, and make it to where you can pull someone's legs out from under them etc.. That would make it more fun if done correctly (IMO of course)

I used to play this game called Drakan: The Ancient Gates for PS2 & I realized that alot of these spells & whatnot are very similar to that of the Star Wars "force" concept, so I thought I would list these abilities here & see what you guys think. Now I don't think that all of these should be added but listing one might give you an idea for another, so I'm just going to list them all.

Now that I think about it, you might even want to throw in some concepts from other things as well, like the X-Men. Create a mini tornado around your player or something to lift them way high up in the air & drop them.

Personally, I don't like this whole dark & light force power concept. I think there should be force powers, you get your force points, use the force points to get the powers you like the most. This is the way it is in the SP game, I don't see why it should be any different in the MP game.

Fireball

This goes back to the Dragonball Z concept a bit I suppose. Personally I'm not that opposed to this idea. I don't think it's the greatest but I don't think it's a bad idea either.

Ice Blast

This one I kind of like. I think there should be some neutral force power like force jump that can break out of this but it still might be a good force power to use for the Siege gametype against non-Jedi/Sith as a light side force power. Doesn't do any damage but can stop someone in their tracks.

Lightning

Already in the game.

Combust

Yes, that's right folks, make people burst into flames. Yet another good force power I think should go in the Siege gametype (dark side of course).

Soul Steal

Already in the game as force drain.

Impale

This just has a big metal pole with hooks & stuff on it come out of the ground & pick the person up & twirl them around while doing damage etc; etc.

Personally I don't like this one but I do like the concepts of picking a person up, spinning them around real fast & lifting them off of the ground in perhaps a whirlwind effect. The only damage caused here would be by the fall but this can be countered by the "force levitate" power.

Rejuvenate

Already in the game as force heal.

Fear

This would be another good one for Siege I think. We really need to improve the weapons before we go upping the Jedi/Sith abilities like this IMO but at least this is a start.

How this one works is everytime the person using this power comes within a certain distance of them, they tremble in fear & are too scared to attack them & if the force power is high enough, they can't even move.

Basically, this would be the dark side version of the "Ice Blast" light side power. They do the same thing but ice blast should create a light blue glow around the frozen player, similar to that of the one used in MP for private duels.

Also, "Fear" would not work on Jedi, & Sith that have force level jump 3 should be able to get out of "Ice" in 1 jump, if they have level 2 it should be 2 jumps, level 1 would be 3, no force jump - you have to wait for the snow to melt, until then you are frosty the snow man.

Clone

This is just like the force power that makes you invisable except it creates a clone of you where you were standing, all the long while the clone is taunting (at least that's how it was in Drakan). This can be countered with force sight but can be a *very* useful edition to the light side powers. Would definitely help balance things out as far as the dark & light side powers go.

Time Slow

Already in the game pretty much under force speed but this can't be added into MP for obvious reasons.

I remember something like Clone in MotS. It was called Force Projection.

Perhaps another good nuetral power would be a 'Force Resistance' one, which would help protect against Push/Pull etc. I know that higher levels of Push/Pull do this automatically, but it would make the game more interesting if you had to select it.

Archived