Home

Enhanced Ideas: New Force Powers

Vile

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really think that would work well. Players move too quickly to be able to accurately hit a certain hit location.

Plus, I'll restate that I don't think the Force powers should flashy. Lightning is probably the strongest Dark Side combat power and the flashyest. Everything else should be of less flash than that. My thinking is that Jedi powers mainly stem from their use of the Force to enhance their bodies and senses. This is due to the way that the your connection to your body is the strongest link you have to the universe. As such, your Force powers are weaker the farther the connection is from you.

I never did like destruction or deadlysight... destruction is right out by my book, deadly sight is just cuz of the idea of a power that "burns" every enemy in sight.... if it was something like cause pain or dmg effect by constricting organs or something in the likes of grip for a group...it would be more plausible (stationary grip of course.. you wouldn't be able to move them around as normal grip)... as for blinding... an awesome power that should be brought back... simple, effective... and one of the only possible light side offensive powers, as it grants advantage without directly inflicting dmg on it's own.

Why is Destruction "right out of the book"?

All it really is is using the dark side to produce another element (fire) instead of electrity (lightning).

I don't see how that's so outlandish or incredible.

Deadly Sight is a variation on this, simply being the focus of "heat" on a target (like an invisible heat ray or microwave beam).

Again, nothing too out of the ordinary there.

And if you want examples from Official Star Wars, there's a precedent in Splinter of the Mind's Eye (incidentally written long before any of these games)... Vader throws a blue "energy ball" type of force blast at Luke, which he blocks and it bounces off his hands.

Force "resistance" was called "Defense" in MotS. You sacraficed Force power levels in order to have it. It was basically a "poor man's absorb," merely reducing the damage and effect of powers rather than countering them completely. It was a passive power, kicking in automatically when you were attacked and being effective until you were completely drained of Mana.

It was a sort of training tool for people who weren't very good with Force or wanted to focus on other types of combat, so it gave them some resistance to Force. This was used with the class system quite effectively. The Soldier had strong armor, was slow and loaded with weapons, but he had only a high level of Defense to prevent him getting totally pwn3d by Jedi. The Bounty Hunter had a little less Defense, some weaker weapons, but he had Push as his only power. Then the Scout had only a tiny bit of Defense, and the weakest guns (although the sniper rifle and mines were ideal for setting traps or sneaky kills) but had the most Force of the non-Jedi: Persuasion (the MotS version of Mind Trick), Seeing and Jump.

If you want to see how some Force Powers work in an FPS setting, I strongly suggest you look at Mysteries of the Sith.

Interesting powers there...

Defense, Deadly Sight, Destruction & Blinding already mentioned, but also:

Throw (Force throw debris at an enemy, which would seem to entail adding objects to maps to be used, however you could simply make shrapnel come out of nowhere or make the powerups and weapon pickups, even simply medpacs in a level temporary become lethal shrapnel as they were in flight and fly towards your target... that would be cool. then as soon as the power was done, the objects would be pickupabble again like normal pickups).

Projection (create a clone of yourself that can't be harmed for a short time... only trouble with this was that the decoy would just stand there and repeatedly punch, a tactic no real player would use, so it was easily detected)

Far Sight (a bug in this power let you "slow your falls" and avoid damage, but the main use was to "leave your body" and travel around in the map via a small blue comet shaped object.. you could pass right through some openable doors and spy on people, but it eventually wore off and you returned to your body, though in a pinch you could return more quickly).

Seeing worked very differently, actually lightening up the room (dispelling darkness in your viewport) and combined with the overlay map let you see the locations of ALL players on the map, color coding them by team and the directions they were facing. at high levels placed mines appeared as gray dots on the map so you could see traps, also IIRC other pickup items appeared as small green/yellow dots also on the highest level).

Persuasion was like Mind Trick except that you really become invisible (even to yourself) except for a faint trail of sparkles, which an observant person could detect and the sound effect of course. Seeing still countered it. Seeing also prevented blinding, which of course made your viewport totally white (more opaque with a higher level) for a short time.

Pull didn't pull bodies, it pulled world objects to you and guns out of hands.

Well Kurgan... i see your point, but in my point of view, those types of power i throw out the window are powers that are way too powerful so that only masters or at least superior force users can use... lightning included (in my pov at least). I'd rather have powers that provide some tactical advantage or map navigation help, but as ultimate attackers, they tend to de-throne the saber if too powerful.

I'm just stating my opinion either way. what I will write below merely depicts how I would like the game to be regarding Force Powers. It does not necessarily reflect what OJP is trying to do. I'll simple tell you why it's right ou by my book.

The idea of a firebal just throws me off the SW setting... all we need is an appropriate Ha-Do-Ken SFX to go with it.

You say fire is just another elemental energy and the concept of the force creating it would be no diferent or less plausible than creating lightning...plus you threw in some references... ok it's legit i give you that... but i also have gripes with lightning... talking of the movies alone, so far you've only seen the more powerful force wielders use that, the average jedi/sith below the rank of master should hardly be able to use that... I would accept it though.. if force power costs in the selection menu where higher. It would emulate the force user's level of dedication in mastering that single power, at the expense of not being good enough with the others.

Deadlysight goes along the same lines as destruction. except it's a power that seems to need even more mastering... concentrating on every being in the line of sight within a determined range and burn him... well... if it's a master power level with high enough costs...fine by me.. i'd still rather have it constrict organs or damage some other way... maybe lung spams or the traditional D&D cause pain spell... the burn effect on a force power just throws me off i'm sorry.. matter of opinion and nothing more.

As far as blind goes... somehow i find that power extremely good. It doesnt cause damage all by itself... grants advantage. It's your basic mind power (that's at least how can justify it... severing the comunication between the eye and the brain)

I do agree that MOTS was good in terms of force powers... that system in JA would be something awesome...something like an enhanced version of the SP force power system (in terms of selection)

Sight was indeed better back then, too bad we no longer have the overlay map.

Well the bottom line is... i'd rather have powers that dont undermine the saber as a primary weapon. That's why I tend to play on NF SO Duel servers.

Well the rest depends on wether the coder boys want it back or not..they are leading the show ;)

Cheers.

Back to the fireball idea, I know you aren't coding this Razor but I thought of this & wanted to put this idea out there.

Fireballs get deflected like blaster fire would.

Not much of an idea, I know (lol), but I write ideas down while I'm doing whatever & this was one of them so I wanted to post it.

A bit off topic but... in KOTOR there is a power that's so subtle... so un flashy... so.... FUN TO USE... "Force Dominate Mind" aka "Jedi Mind Trick" aka "Persuasion".

I just Luv to walk up to someone that goes "Can't tell you That sorry.. it's a secret" *wave of a hand*"You ARE gonna tell me that secret"..."Well on second thought.. it's not a big secret anyway...so i'll just tell you" :D

Or Maybe the "5000 Credits... final price and no bargaining!" *wave of a hand* "You WANT to lower your price"... "As I was saying... 2500 Credits"

Fun Fun Fun...

:D

Bloodriot: That goes along with the "Fear" force power concept IMO, meaning it would only be of use in the Jedi vs Merc gametype (which after I do (hopefully) AJK & put these firearm weapons where they belong, I will bring this gametype back) or Siege. You can't use "Mind Trick" or "Fear" on Jedi/Sith, only non-Jedi/Sith. They say "weak minded" but I would just make it all non-Jedi/Sith.

I do like the idea of bringing the "Blind" light force power back, the light side force powers certainly could use some help. I wasn't a big fan of MotS, I prefered the original JK much more but that's neither here nor there.

RA: About this fireball thing, this was my bleh idea. The whole light & dark side force power scale should be balanced & it's not IMO. Dark side force users have the upper hand big time.

Another thing is I think you should be able to choose light & dark force powers like you do in SP. That would help things out as well.

• 2 weeks later...

was previously told to post my force ideas here.

Force Reflect, all attacks are reflected back at the attacker, the effect lasts 10 seconds on skill level 1, 20 seconds on level 2, 30 seconds on level 3, 40 seconds on level 4, 50 seconds on level 5.

Other deactivation possiblities, 150 damage received, force pool is drained, or force conundrum used againts reflecting player

Force Conundrum, the player the attack is used on is temporarily put into a state of shock, the player in shock holds his head, it causes no damage but incapacitates the oposing player for 20 seconds on level 1, 25 on level 2, 30 on level 3, 35 on level 4, 40 on level 5.

Force Vampire, looks like the sp drain anim that is used when next to an oponet(leans them back and sucks the life out of them) except it would be green and would transfer force abilities from the player being attacked to the player attacking, on level 1 only neutral abilities(push, pull, jump, see) can be transfered and the player being attacked keeps his abilities, on level 2 light side and neutrals powers can be transfered and again the player being attacked retains his abilities, on level 3 all abilities can be transfered and the player being attacked has his skill level reduced to 2 if they were anything above 2 before being attacked. Level 1 durationg 5 seconds, 1 force ability per 3 seconds. Level 2, duration 10 seconds, 1 force ability per 2 seconds. Level 3, duration 20 seconds, 1 force ability per 2 seconds. Level 4, duration 30 seconds, 1 force ability per 1.5 seconds. Level 5, duration 35 seconds 1 force ability per second

Life drain, would drain life points from one user to another.

Give Life, gives life points to another at the cost of your own.

Force Plague, Infects the victim with a virus that slowley degrades their life points, would require an antidote pack or force heal to stop virus. Would have a similar looking effect to level 3 protection.

Originally posted by Admiral Chemix

Force Reflect, all attacks are reflected back at the attacker, the effect lasts 10 seconds on skill level 1, 20 seconds on level 2, 30 seconds on level 3, 40 seconds on level 4, 50 seconds on level 5.

I like the concept of Reflect but I think time & mana-wise it needs to be set up like Absorb. Obviously if you only have a level 2 force Reflect & someone uses a level 3 power on you, it's not going to work (just like how the other powers are setup).

• 4 weeks later...

If done right, destruction would NOT be overpowered, it's just finding the right balance. Lets say perhaps that using force destruction slows down your force regen temporarily, or you can't use any force powers shortly afterwards, or maybie a dark rage like effect (not the health damage) where after it wears off, you move slower, and your attacks are slower/weaker

maybie a combonation of some of those. basically, what I imagene force destruction being is a long range attack, aka a "gun" fueled by force.

as for balance, as with other damaging force powers, absorb should nulify it. and of course, make it so you don't see the absorb blue shield until it actually absorbs an attack.

EDIT also with absorb, if you have level 2 absorb vs level 3 lightning it still damages you with the current system I beleive, so make it like protection, where the different levels absorb soandso percent of the damage from force powers.

Ummm.. For Force Destruction, why not justify it by saying it is accelerating the particles of air in front of the user to such a degree they convert into a ball of pure heat that is hurled forward at high speed. If Force Speed, Force Sight, and force Lightning all exist, a power like Force Destruction executed in the way I describe is perfectly plausible.

Archived