Home

Make a JKA movie? How?

Xoira

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I relly need some guidance here. Me and a friend of mine are thinking of making a JKA movie (a school project) that shows some cool lightsaber battles.

I have no idea of what kind of program I should use to capture these battles so any help at all would be appreciated. Something like that isn't built in into JKA, right?

Presuming your not being sarcastic, heres how:

Both of you join a multiplayer server.

One of you lower the console and type the following:

/g_synchronousclients 1

/record mylightsaberbattle

/g_synchronousclients 0

Have you battle, then type:

/stoprecord

Your demo will be saved in the 'Demos' folder in JA's base directory.

If you have a high-spec PC and Windows Movie Maker, you can record .avi demos through JA.

1. Move all you screenshots from your screenshot folder to another place for now.

2. Start up your game and make a bind for "toggle cl_avidemo". This means you can toggle recording of avi demos on and off.

3. Press the key and start the fight. Note - if you don't have a very fast PC you'll get VERY low fps - remember avi demos from JA are actually taking streams of screenshots. I have a 1.4 GHz processor and 256MB RAM, and I only get about 4 fps with this on.

Basically, you may want to ask someone to spec and record it for you, because it's very hard to have a duel with such low fps.

4. Once the battle finishes, press the key again to turn off avidemo.

5. Now check your screenshots folder.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

One way of putting it is that these screenshots are the avi demo cut into frames.

6. Open Windows Movie Maker and go to File>New. Now click on "Import pictures" on the left under "1. Capture Video" , select ALL the screenshots in your base/screenshots folder and click Open.

This will take a while depending on how long the demo actually is - WMM will start adding all the screenies to the "Collection" list. Now go to "Tools>Options..." and set the Picture Duration to "0.250" using the arrow buttons.

7. Select all the screenshots in the Collections list and drag them into the "Storyboard" below.

WMM will now SLOWLY add the pictures to the Storyboard and eventually you'll have a nice long line of frames.

8. Save your movie (File>Save Project) and go to "File>Save Movie File..." and make sure "My Computer" is selected. Click Next. Choose any name you want for the file and click Next again.

You can choose any quality you want by clicking "Show more options" and then clicking on the drop-down list next to "Other Settings:" - I choose "High quality video (small)", because it gives the best quality output, but in a small window so it takes up less hard drive space.

When you have selected a quality, click Next. Now WMM will start to compile your movie. Depending on the quality and the length of the video, this can sometimes take a very long time, so sit tight!

When it (finally) finishes, you can find the movie file as a .wmv file in "My Documents/My Videos"

Play it and enjoy!

Note that it will not have any sound, so you can add music once the pictures are finished.

Under "Capture Video" again, click "Import audio or music" and select the song of your choice.

When you click Open, the music will be put into your Collections window with the screenshots. On the Storyboard area, click "Show Timeline" - you will now get a different view of your movie. Simply drag the audio file onto the Audio/Music part to add it to the movie. You can trim the music by selecting it and dragging the edges so that it plays through the film instead of playing the whole song and giving a blank screen at the end of the film.

OK! That's it! When you're done you can compile your movie again (groan) and test it. You can also add credits and titles to your movie in the same way you add audio and pictures by clicking "Make titles or credits" under "2. Edit Movie" - this is self-explanatory.

Enjoy!

Admins: C'mon sticky it, you know you want to ;)

If I were you I would start here: TK_Nutritious MOvie sticky.

This was done back in the JKO days but all info is still current and applicable to Jedi Academy.

I taught myself to make movies from scratch from the info above.

Please be sure to read everything before you ask specific questions.

Also please share your work with us when it's finished. :)

Yes, read the thread that griff linked to. Also note that in JKA v1.01, you can now press keys during demo playback without stopping the demo (finally!) so you can bind keys with commands like "timescale 200" (to fast forward), "timescale 1" (to go back to normal speed), "cl_avidemo 20" (start taking screenshots), etc. :)

Archived